Draw and Live Results
Event Info Click Here

Online Entries are Open
Event Info Click Here

Online Entries Tues prior
8am - 6pm
Event Info Click Here

Online Entries are Open

Author Topic: NBHA TEXAS 17-ANYONE KNOW?  (Read 6808 times)

Offline LUV2BRUNINCANS

• Elite Member
  • Ebarrelracing.com rocks
NBHA TEXAS 17-ANYONE KNOW?
« on: November 17, 2008, 12:11:01 PM »
Is there still an active Texas 17 district?  Can't find anything that is updated.  Thinking about the coming year and what is available. 

Offline Rebecca

• Elite Member
Re: NBHA TEXAS 17-ANYONE KNOW?
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2008, 01:09:22 PM »
This year they had all of their show at Suphur Springs at the Texas Star Arena. They had membership but I don't think many showed interest with it being at that arena. The ground is deep and alot of horses have slipped pretty bad. The arena has a website and so does Tx17. As far as next year I haven't heard anything.

Offline vlpoag

• Dinosaur!
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2008, 01:30:44 PM »
 i heard no more barrelraces at texas star after this series ends ,but i don't know,i don't think it will be much ifit starts back carrie didn't want to mess with everything ,heard she wanted them at her house . i'd like to find out too txsweetie said she heard 20 was starting back up.it's ashame down south they can go so strong yet we can't keep it up here.let me know if you find out anything <HI>
"LET HIM RUN"

Offline Rebecca

• Elite Member
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2008, 01:58:13 PM »
What hurts 17 was the little click that tried running it the past couple of years and this year having at Texas Star didn't help.

Offline Txsweetie

• I'm Loving It....
  • Dinosaur!
  • It is what it is..................
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2008, 02:16:13 PM »
i heard no more barrelraces at texas star after this series ends ,but i don't know,i don't think it will be much ifit starts back carrie didn't want to mess with everything ,heard she wanted them at her house . i'd like to find out too txsweetie said she heard 20 was starting back up.it's ashame down south they can go so strong yet we can't keep it up here.let me know if you find out anything <HI>

Maybe we should start a small assoc!!!!
Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind.  -Dr. Suess

Offline vlpoag

• Dinosaur!
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2008, 02:38:15 PM »
 i think we need to see why someone else can't take 17,i didn't have any shows to go to and if i had gone to state i would have had to pay nbha fees just for that,i say if you have it and you only have 1000.00 to work with ,go with it.don't bust your tail if no one wants to go the extra mi sure it's nice to give saddles and stuff but if no one wants to help raise money then you give other prizes,just have the shows wher people can have a place to go and a little something in return,just my thoughts. i'm sure we can find places to have them at and not cost an arm and leg.
"LET HIM RUN"

Offline Rebecca

• Elite Member
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2008, 02:49:16 PM »
We have nice arenas close by, I would love to go to the bigger shows but can't afford the entry fees along with all the other expenses.. I don't mind joining clubs, go do my work time and run, and get points.

Offline RUN FOR FUN

• Elite Member
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2008, 03:42:22 PM »
I don't understand what the big deal is with the dirt.  If you are going to run, we should learn to run in all kinds of dirt.  Did anyone offer to help Carrie with 17 or to take it over?  What other pens do you think that we could go to that would not cost an arm or leg to run at?  Has anyone priced other pens?
« Last Edit: November 17, 2008, 03:55:49 PM by RUN FOR FUN »

Offline Rebecca

• Elite Member
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2008, 03:47:23 PM »
I don't mind the dirt at that arena either, its just I have heard alot of people with the running style of their horse, its doesn't work. Now on helping Carrie I don't know. I was a member for 2 yrs and joined a different association this year.

Offline RUN FOR FUN

• Elite Member
« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2008, 04:08:58 PM »
I feel sure that someone could take over 17 if they would step up.    I don't understand the comments about the small clink running things.  Did they not do a good job or what?  Did they take off with the $$ or what?

Offline Shanda

• Posse Member
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2008, 06:28:53 PM »
I just want to give anyone that steps up and runs a district a high five!!!!!  It is alot of work with little to no reward!!!  Donna Henson and I ran district 17 in 2003, no matter where we had the barrel races, somebody gripped about the ground.  There was a hand full of people that helped, and you knew who they were because their trailers where there when you pulled up and their trailers were still there you were leaving!!!!  It also does not matter how much you try you will never please everybody all the time.  So stepping up and taking a district is a big decision, also it may seem that a click is running the district, but maybe it is not a click at all maybe that is just the hand full of people that work their butts off to try and please everybody else, without ever being told thanks or good job.!!! JMHO
I do my best, God does the rest!!!

Offline vlpoag

• Dinosaur!
« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2008, 08:02:18 PM »
 i think pickton will only charge 100or 150, don't think mt.vernon is much more and they are ready to help consession wise and the ground ,and yes i did try to contact carrie about what was gonna happen with 17 before the start of this past year she said she had it worked out,yes i do know all about running an assoc.i just think her beef was she felt like not enough sponsers(really don't know  for sure) carrie did a wonderful job and i'm sorry it didn't work out but like i said so you don't make umteen $ you go with what you have. several years we just gave buckles. i think everyone knew you don't get the money no special prizes. arena wise you have paris,mineola,bogota ,and jerrie marie's pen. marlyns,and lots of others. as far as the ground at s.springs yes it was deep but you sure didn't have to go i went and made the best of it and yes i've seen them go down but that pen is for the cutters and that is how that man makes his living so no he isn't going to do something that would hurt his horses.i think he tried hard to keep good ground
"LET HIM RUN"

Offline Txsweetie

• I'm Loving It....
  • Dinosaur!
  • It is what it is..................
« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2008, 08:18:22 PM »
I don't understand what the big deal is with the dirt.  If you are going to run, we should learn to run in all kinds of dirt.  Did anyone offer to help Carrie with 17 or to take it over?  What other pens do you think that we could go to that would not cost an arm or leg to run at?  Has anyone priced other pens?

I have priced pens and there are some reasonable ones out there. You just have to go negotiate with the people over them.  Alot of committees will be fair with the prices.  As far as the dirt, it is what it is.  EVERYONE has a choice to run or not to run.  The dirt will never be "perfect" but it can be good and it can be bad.  Some horses can handle all types and some can't.  Again "You" have that choice to go or not to go based on how you feel about the pen, but when there is no diversity in pens then it limits the numbers of competitors.  As far as your statement that we should all learn to run in all kinds of dirt, I have an answer for you.  It is not always that simple.  In a perfect world all horses would handle the dirt perfectly, but there are some horses that just can not handle all types of dirt so learning to handle all kinds of dirt really can't be done.  BUT for the most part I think all horses handle dirt with their God given abilities so they do the best the can.  I have seen first hand that some dirt NO horse should run in, could run in or would have run in but chit happens and that is when we make the choice to run or not to run.  (sorry I tend to get on a soap box so I will step down) :cheeze:  Again as far as dirt it will always be an issue to some and it will always have issues.... :cheeze:

I just think for the most part everyone is frustrated with no real place to go in our area.  Most associations have folded up or moved out and that hurts the local barrel racer.  I for one used to haul all over the place when I had finished horses but I now have 4 colts that need seasoning, a finished one that needs seasoned and finished one that just needs to go so I would have loved to have more local barrel races to go to so I could step up one day and realistically compete at the bigger shows again.  Sometimes it is just nice to go to the local barrel race, relax and have a good time!!!!

Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind.  -Dr. Suess

Offline vlpoag

• Dinosaur!
« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2008, 08:24:56 PM »
amen,txsweetie <NOT WORTHY> <NOT WORTHY> thier are allthese new church arenas out now i forgot about,so yes thier are plenty,i thought the one in s.springs on 19 was niceanyway i do hope something comes up with 17
"LET HIM RUN"

Offline RUN FOR FUN

• Elite Member
« Reply #14 on: November 18, 2008, 09:23:28 AM »
So let me try to understand.  Carrie was running 17.  And it used to have shows at other locations and at TX Star?  Then she cut back and had it at TX Star.  When she was doing the shows she had a point system and had year end awards.  Where the year end awards good.  Did she get paid for doing this?  I thought the director didn't get paid.  So if she did not get paid she did this out of the goodness of her own heart.  I heard that she offered 17 to anyone that would take it and no one would step up.  So if she worked out something with TX Star to keep have shows there what is the big deal?  Why are you not running there?  If you want to run for fun and the money then the deal at TX Star should work for a lot of people.   I understand that she has had added money too.  If they don't run at TX Star where do you think you will run.  I heard that BIT is have problems too and so is one that runs towards Mt. Pleasant.  How does anyone think that 20 is coming back when it has been gone for over a year or so.  We might need to all get together and help Carrie or someone to keep 17 going and learn to have fun!  And to appreciate what she and others are doing.