Online Entries are Open
Event Info Click Here

Online Entries Open
May 1st-22nd

RULES
Event Info Click Here

Online Entries are OPEN
Printable Entry Form

Author Topic: Beautiful Pattern During Practice  (Read 7507 times)

Offline Tamet Gould

• Administrator
  • Super Hero
  • I was riding even before I was born!
    • Ebarrelracing.com
Beautiful Pattern During Practice
« on: February 21, 2005, 08:35:08 PM »

I have a thoroughbred gelding that is now nine but was started on barrels when he was four. To make a long story short, he has a beautiful pattern during practice, but when he is hauled to a rodeo or show it is a different story. He runs to his pocket, rates, looks at the barrel to the point you would think would be commitment then leaps toward the left and goes down the fence. I have had the vet check him and everything seems fine.

I really don't believe it is a soundness problem because he does a perfect pattern in practice. I can take him in at a trot and let him go after the first barrel and he turns the other two great. Once a horse starts this habit, is it possible to break it? He is also trained in poles and has no problem turning the end poles. I have not tried him to the left because his pattern is so pretty to the right during practice. Any suggestions?
Kim Merrell
Monticello, Arkansas

Dear Kim,
It sounds to me as though your horse experiences some kind of pain or discomfort when you ask him to turn to the right. Keep looking for a problem - soundness, equipment, pilot error, etc.
Martha Wright

Aut viam inveniam aut faciam - I will either find a way or make one.  "Can't lives on Won't street."

Let us be reminded of what Captain John Parker told his army at Lexington Green, the place where the War for Independence began in 1775. He said, “Stand your ground. Don’t fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war, let it begin here.