Event Info Click Here

Online Entries are Open
Printable Entry Form
Event Info Click Here

Online Entries Open April 14
Event Info Click Here

Online Entries are Open

Poll

Which barrel racing format do you prefer?

3D Equal Pay
4D Sliding pay
4D Equal Pay
5D Sliding Pay

Author Topic: Barrel Racing 3D, 4D or 5D  (Read 29974 times)

Offline Rodeo Mom

• Dinosaur!
  • Huckleberry's Xtreme Barrel Race Jan 2 Bryan, Texa
Barrel Racing 3D, 4D or 5D
« on: April 17, 2007, 08:19:58 AM »
Feel free to leave a comment so we know why you have selected the Option.  You can also add if your age Youth 19 & under, Adult 20-34 and Senior 35 & up.  What division you usually fall in helps too!!
Thanks in advance.
Takin' barrel racing to the Xtreme.....

Offline FastnLittle

• Elite Member
  • Run With God
Re: Barrel Racing 3D, 4D or 5D
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2007, 08:31:47 AM »
I would say it would have to depend for me on the turn out.  I went to a race that was 5D I won the first d and didnt even pay my entry fee there was only 12 riders at equal payout.  But at a 100 plus 5d sliding pay.

Offline lilbit

• Bittie Master of Mischievous
  • Posse Member
  • Fossil
    • http://www.myspace.com/txcanchaser74
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2007, 08:56:27 AM »
I dont think it just depends on the turn out. I think if your going to have a 5d you can not have a $25.00 entry fee. Your going to have to raise it. That will help with the spread.
Stefanie Medland

Offline NikkiDiamond

• Mega Member
  • Ebarrelracing.com rocks
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2007, 09:11:45 AM »
I like the 4D sliding scale.. i dont think that 4 or 5 D horses should get the same money as 1/2 D horses.. The faster you are the more money they should pay <ROCKON> Oh yeah my age 20-35
If i can just leave em standin!!!

Offline meandmo

• Veteran Member
  • Proud Softball Mom
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2007, 09:40:02 AM »
I think more associations should consider a 4D with 1/2 second splits all the way.  Or if you are going to go to 5D, it has to be a barrel race with 100 or more and the entry fee should be more than $25, IMO.  If you know there will be 75 or less, a 4D with 1/2 splits is the way to go.  No one hardly hits in the 4D in the smaller barrel races or someone that runs 2 1/2 or 3 seconds usually will win money in the 4D.  And something about that just isn't right.   <(::)>

Offline KMS

• Extreme Member
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2007, 09:46:42 AM »
I like the 4D Sliding.  I actually sit on both sides on this one as I am a 3/4D runner and it would be nice to win the same money as the 1/2D but then what would I have to strive for??  If you had equal payout what is your goal?  I don't agree with terminology that "the better horse should win most money" because then could all depend on the size of your wallet.  I think the better rider/horse combo should win more money.  After all, it is possible for a rider to take a 1D horse and run in the 3/4 D and to take a horse and work him up to the 1/2D.  I know the horse has a whole lot to do with it but if you aren't a proficient rider, you aren't going to get the full potential of that horse.  I have a really good horse but am a "so-so" rider.  I hope for my riding to equal his abilities someday.
Keep your words soft and sweet as some day you may have to eat them.

Offline TxCanchaser22

• Elite Member
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2007, 09:58:12 AM »
I run a 1D horse and then have 2 horses that are 3D/4D horses, I really prefer the 5D with the 1/2 splits because that usually puts my horses in paying slots in the 3D or 4D.  I am always in the big hole on them in the 4D races and usually win checks on them in the 5D races.  I do not mind what the payout is and like I said, I run a 1D horse as well, I feel the reason the payouts are so large these days has a lot to do with those 3D-5D riders so I don't have a problem if I place 1st in the 1D and get the same check as 1st in the 5D, if it wasn't for that person, I might be getting as much for getting 1st in the 1D as I did.  I am in the 20-34 age group.

Offline Kristen

« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2007, 10:41:15 AM »
I prefer the 4d equal payout.. I run a 1D horse also, but I agree with TxCanchaser 22 that the equal payout is what draws the crowd.  Sliding pay is great but you dont win as much anyway if the class isnt very big..I also dont mind the 5D but the entry fee does need to be more than $25 to pay out so many places. 
God will not make a mountain you can't climb!

Offline Gabe's Babe

• Defender of The Bored!!! Wait, Board???
  • Charter Member
  • Demi-God
    • Rachael's Equine Services
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2007, 10:56:18 AM »
I like the 4D sliding scale.. i dont think that 4 or 5 D horses should get the same money as 1/2 D horses.. The faster you are the more money they should pay <ROCKON> Oh yeah my age 20-35
We cant help it that we are slow! We should be given equal pay too! Just because we are learning and handicapp.....Doesnt mean that we are worth less!  THE WAVE

Offline Donk

• Fossil
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2007, 11:08:43 AM »
We cant help it that we are slow! We should be given equal pay too! Just because we are learning and handicapp.....Doesnt mean that we are worth less!  THE WAVE

I agree.  I am just really getting started and hitting the bottom of the 3D/Top of the 4D.  I am competitive by nature and want to go faster but until I get as skilled as my horse it is nice to get a little back in the mean time.
Capps Cowboy Leatherwerx     Saddle & Tack Repair     Custom Items Built

Offline Mandi

• Fossil
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2007, 11:09:35 AM »
4D sliding pay with 1/2 splits.

If not 1/2 splits, NBHA 4D with sliding pay.

I agree with NikkiDiamond and I know a lot of people, even those without 1/2D horses that agree with me.

It has nothing to do with being worth less. There's more incentive for those learning/training to move up as well as more reward for those that have already moved up. There's also the argument about the cost to get (buy, train, season, etc) and/or maintain a 1D horse.

If God brings you to it, He will bring you through it.

Offline Mandi

• Fossil
« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2007, 11:11:47 AM »
I don't even necessary agree that the equal pay draws more of a crowd. Not only do they have a great turn out at all the big NBHA shows, but this weekend, locally, there was one of each race available. Saturday was 4D, 1/2 splits, equal payout. 125 entered. Sunday was NBHA with 123 entered. Same arena, same entry fees and almost the same amount to the j/p each run (Saturday put $1 more/run to jackpot).

Had to edit this. The results from Saturday's race are up and I was misinformed on the payout and the # of entries. There were only 119 entered and they also only put $24 to the pot. So actually, the turn out was better for the sliding payout race.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2007, 04:34:48 PM by Mandi »
If God brings you to it, He will bring you through it.

Offline debhorses

• letz get this party!!!!!
  • Posse Member
  • Super Hero
« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2007, 11:36:22 AM »
heck i likem all!!
can't wait till May!!!

Offline Rodeo Mom

• Dinosaur!
  • Huckleberry's Xtreme Barrel Race Jan 2 Bryan, Texa
« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2007, 03:53:44 PM »
I love all the comments and reasons for the comments.  If I could know how many was coming to a barrle race I could easily pick the format to fit the numbers to make everyone the most money.  Wow fat chance of that happening so I have to keep guessing and I think the original 4D sliding seems to make the most people happy.  Unless you have 200 or so then the 5D is the best.  I love barrel racers you are the best and we will keep trying to pick the races you love.  Hopefully New Years will be a big race with saddles to division winners.  Keep adding to the poll and I love to see the results
Thanks for participating...
Takin' barrel racing to the Xtreme.....

Offline debhorses

• letz get this party!!!!!
  • Posse Member
  • Super Hero
« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2007, 03:57:50 PM »
well lets see, comparing apples to bigger apples, the price of gas and diesel does not care if you have a 1D horse or a 4D horse, the price is the same for each when it goes into that gas tank :!
can't wait till May!!!