Event Info Click Here

Online Entries are Open
Printable Entry Form
Event Info Click Here

Online Entries Open April 14
Event Info Click Here

Online Entries are Open

Poll

Which barrel racing format do you prefer?

3D Equal Pay
4D Sliding pay
4D Equal Pay
5D Sliding Pay

Author Topic: Barrel Racing 3D, 4D or 5D  (Read 29972 times)

Offline Mandi

• Fossil
Re: Barrel Racing 3D, 4D or 5D
« Reply #15 on: April 17, 2007, 04:38:26 PM »
That's true, but diesel isn't the only thing that it takes to enter a race.

I don't even enter a horse in a j/p unless I feel they are running AT LEAST 2-3D times. To me, that easily says that it doesn't take as much time, money, seasoning etc to get a 2-3-4D horse as it does a 1D horse.

What other sport gives ANYTHING to people that aren't the winners??? You don't see it in any other sport (at least not that I know of).

If God brings you to it, He will bring you through it.

Offline Donk

• Fossil
« Reply #16 on: April 17, 2007, 04:45:19 PM »
Roping is structured for varying levels of ropers (#00, #0, 1, 2, 3).
Capps Cowboy Leatherwerx     Saddle & Tack Repair     Custom Items Built

Offline Mandi

• Fossil
« Reply #17 on: April 17, 2007, 04:49:37 PM »
True, but don't the larger jackpoted ropers usually get aimed towards and paid to the higher #'ed ropers??

Offline melaself

• Global Moderator
  • Fossil
  • Ebarrelracing.com rocks
« Reply #18 on: April 17, 2007, 04:50:16 PM »

What other sport gives ANYTHING to people that aren't the winners??? You don't see it in any other sport (at least not that I know of).

Well, there's bracket racing in power boat racing and hot rod racing. The only difference is that in those sports you have to declare what bracket you are in and if you run faster, you break out and don't get a thing.

Offline up the middle

• Mega Member
« Reply #19 on: April 17, 2007, 04:51:29 PM »
I like the 4D sliding scale with 1/2 splits.  I feel like the 5D spreads the money out to much.  Also, if you're going to have a 5D with more EF, then don't have a PF so more people maybe more inclined to enter.   I'm not sure why a pf is needed anyway for a 1 day show unless it's just for the added money.
Dont blame me, I voted for the other guy

Offline Mandi

• Fossil
« Reply #20 on: April 17, 2007, 04:52:16 PM »
Yep - I'm familiar with drag racing too. Hubby used to be sponsorred on his drag bike by Coors Light. THANKFULLY he's gotten out of that. I think I can handle the new Harley WAY easier (less stressful) than another drag bike.

Offline Mandi

• Fossil
« Reply #21 on: April 17, 2007, 04:55:27 PM »
I like the 4D sliding scale with 1/2 splits.  I feel like the 5D spreads the money out to much.  Also, if you're going to have a 5D with more EF, then don't have a PF so more people maybe more inclined to enter.   I'm not sure why a pf is needed anyway for a 1 day show unless it's just for the added money.
I think a lot of times that is exactly what the PF is for, especially when its $10 or more.

I can say that CTBRA charges $5/runner but its to pay the secretary, announcer, tractor driver and barrel setters so that they show isn't delayed while left with insufficient help or while trying to find help.

I'm MORE than willing to pay that $5 over having to get work points or something with an assc. (though I'm no longer a CTBRA member)

Offline slidestop

• Elite Member
« Reply #22 on: April 17, 2007, 05:01:04 PM »
well lets see, comparing apples to bigger apples, the price of gas and diesel does not care if you have a 1D horse or a 4D horse, the price is the same for each when it goes into that gas tank :!

That is no joke!!

Offline thamesranch

• Jackass Hunter
  • Mega Member
« Reply #23 on: April 17, 2007, 06:28:02 PM »
"What Ever D", sliding pay out. 
My age?  Don't go there.
Do it right, or get off the Horse.

Offline Rodeo Mom

• Dinosaur!
  • Huckleberry's Xtreme Barrel Race Jan 2 Bryan, Texa
« Reply #24 on: April 17, 2007, 09:15:40 PM »
The processing fee goes to the workers, tractor drivers, arena rent, insurance, sometimes prizes for drawings, saddles, added money or any other office supplies etc.  We do this so you riders can come and have a race with added money and everything is done except you riding and signing up.  The producers make some off each barrel race or we cannot put them on. There is a lot of work to put on a good barrel race plus getting workers, computers, timers, microphones and amplifier and speakers. 
I realize all the producers have said the same thing at one time or another and its hard to understand that barrel racers do not expect the producers to make a few dollars. We give back as much as we can and hope you keep coming to the xtreme........
Keep posting and letting us know what you want in a race!!
Takin' barrel racing to the Xtreme.....

Offline melaself

• Global Moderator
  • Fossil
« Reply #25 on: April 17, 2007, 09:18:56 PM »
Oh that's what you want to know! Well, that's easy enough to answer...I want to win.  <ROCKON>   

Offline debhorses

• letz get this party!!!!!
  • Posse Member
  • Super Hero
« Reply #26 on: April 17, 2007, 10:36:28 PM »
humphf--so i get it, even if when i win in the 4D- though some eyes, i'm still a loser :\\(((
can't wait till May!!!

Offline Gabe's Babe

• Defender of The Bored!!! Wait, Board???
  • Charter Member
  • Demi-God
    • Rachael's Equine Services
« Reply #27 on: April 17, 2007, 10:49:25 PM »
humphf--so i get it, even if when i win in the 4D- though some eyes, i'm still a loser :\\(((

I guess so! I ran a 17yo gelding (well from 6-19yo gelding the entire beginning of my barrel racing beginnings) He was a consistant 4D horse. We ran good, hard and as fast as his little legs could run. He was all I could afford. Now, I am running a 6yo that i have raised from a yearling. We hare happy to be in the 4D! We started last year and have entered up into  a whole 17 competitions. He has won me over $200 overall now in the 4D. Yes, we hope to get faster, but, if he were to stay a 4D or even a 3D, I would still love to run! equal payout 4D or 5 D encourages me to run! Isn't that what we want? People to want to run? the 4D slide is good too. I do run NBHA. But, I am still happy to be in the D that we are in! I cant afford to go and drop 20,000 on a horse! I love to train my own, even if it takes years to get into competition. I feel good when we make a better run than we did the time before. I strive on bettering our runs together as a team. We may never be 1/2D can chasers, but, we still strive to make a better run every time we enter the arena. That has always been my purpose of Barrel Racing. To feel the pride of "our" accomplishments as a team! My old man and I even strive to run a better run everytime! But, he was always a 4D horse! TJ and I were a great team and I hope and pray that Gabe and I can be half as good of a team that TJ and I were.

My final overall thought on the topic is......go out there to improve yourself and your horse, have fun and enjoy the pride that you receive when you make that better run. I dont care if you are way behind the 4D. As long as you are having fun and doing the best you can! :)/\\

Offline Tailwind

• Elite Member
« Reply #28 on: April 18, 2007, 05:49:11 AM »
rmbarrelracer- I sure do agree with you.  We all strive to do better, but sometimes things don't always go according to plans.  Its wonderful to place, even in the 4D because it just encourages you to go some more, otherwise unless you have an open horse, you cannot keep going if your going to always know you will lose.  And the 4D sure have encouraged allot of people to keep going, thus the great increase in attendance at these barrel races.   This is a topic that sure gets people heated up- especially when it comes to payout.  I just wish that everyone would pull together and just be happy for each other and lets enjoy ourselves and always do our best,  and if someone else's best is not as good as your best, oh well, just be happy that the other person is having fun and they just added some money to the pot that you won!

I know that at 54 I do not ride like I use to, mainly because I just don't get to go as much as I use to, but when I do- it sure is fun to run! 
« Last Edit: April 18, 2007, 05:51:40 AM by Tailwind »
"My treasures do not click together or glitter, they gleam in the sun and neigh in the night"

Offline melaself

• Global Moderator
  • Fossil
« Reply #29 on: April 18, 2007, 07:20:24 AM »

I didn't want to say anything, but that's the tone I was getting from this post, also. Shoot, I got 6th in the 5D a couple of weeks ago and was tickled to death that I had progressed far enough to win in the open classes.