Event Info Click Here

Online Entries are Open
Printable Entry Form
Event Info Click Here

Online Entries Open April 14
Event Info Click Here

Online Entries are Open

Poll

Which barrel racing format do you prefer?

3D Equal Pay
4D Sliding pay
4D Equal Pay
5D Sliding Pay

Author Topic: Barrel Racing 3D, 4D or 5D  (Read 29971 times)

Offline Mandi

• Fossil
Re: Barrel Racing 3D, 4D or 5D
« Reply #45 on: April 18, 2007, 09:35:44 AM »
I'd like to know how age becomes an excuse...(sure to get flamed for this question)?????

Is it due to balance and ability or just due to time/other obligations??

Just curious because I know PLENTY of 'older' people that give us 20-30y/o's a good run for our money. In fact, I believe the 1D champion (Open & Sr) in our NBHA district last year was 'older'.
If God brings you to it, He will bring you through it.

Offline debhorses

• letz get this party!!!!!
  • Posse Member
  • Super Hero
  • Ebarrelracing.com rocks
« Reply #46 on: April 18, 2007, 09:36:11 AM »
i agree with mandi on the cost of a horse..in my opinion i dont think the "cost" of a horse, "makes" the horse.
can't wait till May!!!

Offline brhorses

• Elite Member
« Reply #47 on: April 18, 2007, 09:37:30 AM »
I can't wait Deb!!!!  I am sure he woun't notice my big white trailer driving back and forth in front of his house........   >:D

I wonder if he drinks.............  I will bring a bottle of Crown.......      <COLOR GRIN> <COLOR GRIN>

rofl rofl rofl
Is it Friday yet???

Offline debhorses

• Posse Member
  • Super Hero
« Reply #48 on: April 18, 2007, 09:40:33 AM »
Mandi--yep u could be right about age...take Mary Burger and June Holeman, Martha Josey--the list goes on....geesh, look at Chuck Tolbert and What a Sharp Chick...ok i wont use "old" as an excuse anymore!!!
can't wait till May!!!

Offline debhorses

• Posse Member
  • Super Hero
« Reply #49 on: April 18, 2007, 09:41:51 AM »
BR--oh no his guards and cameras wont see a white trailer going back and forth at all!!! i'm not sure if he drinks crown or ???
can't wait till May!!!

Offline lilbit

• Bittie Master of Mischievous
  • Posse Member
  • Fossil
    • http://www.myspace.com/txcanchaser74
« Reply #50 on: April 18, 2007, 09:50:01 AM »
I see this as like cars. You are going to drive what ever you like and you are going to enter wherever you like. Lets have varieties out there so that everyone can be pleased.

>PEACE<

3d,4d,5d,6, heck 10d!! rofl

just show me the MONEY!! BB)

Stefanie Medland

Offline FastnLittle

• Elite Member
  • Run With God
« Reply #51 on: April 18, 2007, 09:53:52 AM »
Diesel costs too much.  I am going to whatever is closest to home.  Doesn't matter to me if it is a 3D, 4D, 5D or playday.  Payout is just an added bonus.  We all know it is a crap shoot....who cares...I love barrel racing!!!

I love the Xtreme barrel races for the type of folks that show up and the crew that puts on the show!!!

Amen! I am the donator!  With the hopes one day my mare will get there.  I guess I dont know what it takes to have a 1D horse mine only 1Ds locally but I can tell you what it takes for a 3D horse and that is the same ammount of money and as far as I am concerned time. I ride every single day do ground work training clean stalls feed just like u do any other horse.  My horse goes to the chiropractor, dentist, vet, eats the same feed as any other horse and rides in an 06 exxis trailer so what is it that you  1D people do so different than me?  That means I dont work as hard.  I sure would liek to know.  That way I can quit working so dang hard.  In regards to age I am young 24 but you cant compair your "average" no offense to anyone barrel racer to someone like Martha Josey or June Holman who have ALWAYS barrel raced and that is all they do.  They train to keep the ability to ride.  Duh!!!!!  Not everyone has the time.  Ok I am done.

Offline Donk

• Fossil
« Reply #52 on: April 18, 2007, 09:58:31 AM »
Diesel costs too much.  I am going to whatever is closest to home.  Doesn't matter to me if it is a 3D, 4D, 5D or playday.  Payout is just an added bonus.  We all know it is a crap shoot....who cares...I love barrel racing!!!

I love the Xtreme barrel races for the type of folks that show up and the crew that puts on the show!!!

Amen! I am the donator!  With the hopes one day my mare will get there.  I guess I dont know what it takes to have a 1D horse mine only 1Ds locally but I can tell you what it takes for a 3D horse and that is the same ammount of money and as far as I am concerned time. I ride every single day do ground work training clean stalls feed just like u do any other horse.  My horse goes to the chiropractor, dentist, vet, eats the same feed as any other horse and rides in an 06 exxis trailer so what is it that you  1D people do so different than me?  That means I dont work as hard.  I sure would liek to know.  That way I can quit working so dang hard.  In regards to age I am young 24 but you cant compair your "average" no offense to anyone barrel racer to someone like Martha Josey or June Holman who have ALWAYS barrel raced and that is all they do.  They train to keep the ability to ride.  Duh!!!!!  Not everyone has the time.  Ok I am done.

:THANKS:  You tell-um sista!!!
Capps Cowboy Leatherwerx     Saddle & Tack Repair     Custom Items Built

Offline brhorses

• Elite Member
« Reply #53 on: April 18, 2007, 09:59:53 AM »
BR--oh no his guards and cameras wont see a white trailer going back and forth at all!!! i'm not sure if he drinks crown or ???

I will wear my camo............  I am sure I can get over the fence.         >:D

HEY!!!  I have spent a TON of money on one of my horse..........  Vet, shoer, supplements, Legend........  you name it and he is still a 2 to 5D horse!!!   :!          Should be a 1-D.  My horses eat better than I do and get treated better!  
Is it Friday yet???

Offline FastnLittle

• Elite Member
  • Run With God
« Reply #54 on: April 18, 2007, 10:01:41 AM »
Oh one more thing Mandi you say u never spent more than $1500 on a horse but then you reference that you know what time, expense, etc goes into a 1D horse so how is it that yours is more "expensive" to keep than mine.

I dont mean to offend anyone it just makes my blood boil to see people act this way.  This is suppose to be fun and this kinda nonsense is what ruins it for everyone.  If you have a hobby such as this one you should be proud no matter what D you are in take pride and joy in the fact you found something you love. 

Offline Mandi

• Fossil
« Reply #55 on: April 18, 2007, 10:33:25 AM »
I've decided just to leave this topic alone.

I have my opinion and I have my thoughts. Whether anyone here does or does not agree, I could care less.

I won't explain myself any further. I've done so many, many times. Its pointless. Those without 1D horses typically won't agree.

If God brings you to it, He will bring you through it.

Offline Jess00

• Elite Member
« Reply #56 on: April 18, 2007, 10:37:41 AM »
I guess we all must have gone to different straight barrel races back in the day. The straight races I was at usually had 50+ and sometimes 100+. Only 5-7 or maybe 10 people got checks, but they all still showed up and tried.

Its no different than the large crowds that turn out for futurities. At least half usually don't stand a chance of placing in the top, but they still enter and they still give 110%. They keep going and they don't complain and feel they deserve a check for trying.

I guess that the D's have brought a different mindset to barrel racers and a lot of us that were in it before the D's still don't feel like the slower ones deserve as much. I'm sorry if my thoughts offend anyone, but that is how I (and most people I know/haul with & train for) believe. I'm not calling anyone a LOSER, but the remainder of the divisions is nothing more than a crap shoot. You can't guarantee a 2-3-4D horse is going to place race after race because you never know who is going to set the pace.

As for expense of a 1D horse...I've never spent more than $1500 on a horse and I have 2 1D horses now and a retired 1D horse that was cheapest. A lot of people wouldn't have to spend so much on horses/prospects if they weren't so wrapped up in bloodlines (though I feel my horses all have lines that help them perform better, they aren't the 'prefered' bloodlines of today). Sometimes if people would put more effort into something that isn't necessary 'supposed' to make a top horse, they might be surprised.

Even if my 1D horses screw up and place in a lower division, I still don't feel they deserve equal pay. I know what work, expense, time, etc goes into making a 1D horse and I feel those at the top deserve the most.

Obviously, considering most LARGE jackpots don't pay out equally, the majority aren't complaining either.

Big ole Ditto!!!!  I voted 4D sliding scale.  I don't think the 5Ds pay good enough for the amount of people that run and they don't pay enough holes to make it worth it for me to enter.  The only one I enter (sometimes) is STBRA and that's only to carry over my time to the novice so I don't have to stay, NOT because I like it.  Actually I hate 5D equal payout.  It's not worth my time to enter when you barely win your fees back. 

Offline brhorses

• Elite Member
« Reply #57 on: April 18, 2007, 10:38:53 AM »
Oh one more thing Mandi you say u never spent more than $1500 on a horse but then you reference that you know what time, expense, etc goes into a 1D horse so how is it that yours is more "expensive" to keep than mine.

I dont mean to offend anyone it just makes my blood boil to see people act this way.  This is suppose to be fun and this kinda nonsense is what ruins it for everyone.  If you have a hobby such as this one you should be proud no matter what D you are in take pride and joy in the fact you found something you love. 

:()& :()& :()&
I am just happy to be able to run!  I have had so many injuries the last couple years I am just happy to be healthy.   BB)
Is it Friday yet???

Offline KMS

• Extreme Member
« Reply #58 on: April 18, 2007, 10:52:55 AM »
I don't know what happened to my first post but I never did show up here.  Maybe someone was watching out for me  (ha ha)  Took me forever to type it now its gone so I won't try and do it all over again.  Congrats to RacingRozell, I have always thought the only difference between the 1D and the 4D was what you paid for him/her or the money spent on outside training etc.  All the other stuff, time, feed, vet care etc cost me the same as the other guys as does my entry fees, fuel, trailer.  I do; however, like the sliding payout because it gives me an incentive but the notion that a 1D horse should win more because "it costs more to run a 1D horse than it does a 4D"  NOT.  In actuality, it cost more to run the 4D horse because you don't have near the return on your entry fee even if you get lucky and "don't win" by winning a check in the 3D/4D.  (That goes back to the post about barrel racing is the only sport you can get paid for "not winning") That kinda stunk!  After all, the lottery is a crap shoot too but if you win it, did you not actually win???
Keep your words soft and sweet as some day you may have to eat them.

Offline slidestop

• Elite Member
« Reply #59 on: April 18, 2007, 10:54:46 AM »
If you want to run at a great race this weekend, come to the BRAT Attack Sunday April 22th, athe Diamond W Arena,  1/2 second split 5D format, equal payout.  Payout is always great!!!!

See Flyer:  http://www.ebarrelracing.com/organizations/brat/BRAT_attack.pdf

The BRAT's new season starts is May & we run a 4D, 1/2 split, equal payout, 80% payback of entry fee.  BRAT will be presenting the year-end awards sunday, so some out to see the GREAT PRIZES.