Event Info Click Here

Online Entries are Open
Printable Entry Form
Event Info Click Here

Online Entries Open April 14
Event Info Click Here

Online Entries are Open

Poll

Which barrel racing format do you prefer?

3D Equal Pay
4D Sliding pay
4D Equal Pay
5D Sliding Pay

Author Topic: Barrel Racing 3D, 4D or 5D  (Read 29970 times)

Offline Mandi

• Fossil
Re: Barrel Racing 3D, 4D or 5D
« Reply #60 on: April 18, 2007, 11:03:25 AM »
I don't know what happened to my first post but I never did show up here.  Maybe someone was watching out for me  (ha ha)  Took me forever to type it now its gone so I won't try and do it all over again.  Congrats to RacingRozell, I have always thought the only difference between the 1D and the 4D was what you paid for him/her or the money spent on outside training etc.  All the other stuff, time, feed, vet care etc cost me the same as the other guys as does my entry fees, fuel, trailer.  I do; however, like the sliding payout because it gives me an incentive but the notion that a 1D horse should win more because "it costs more to run a 1D horse than it does a 4D"  NOT.  In actuality, it cost more to run the 4D horse because you don't have near the return on your entry fee even if you get lucky and "don't win" by winning a check in the 3D/4D.  (That goes back to the post about barrel racing is the only sport you can get paid for "not winning") That kinda stunk!  After all, the lottery is a crap shoot too but if you win it, did you not actually win???
I never said it costs more to run one. I said it costs more to get or make one. If I wasn't a trainer, I would have paid a boatload to get my 1D horses. If someone had paid me to train these horses for them, same thing.

Perhaps a lot has to do with the value of the training going into a horse??? Perhaps all that money spent on clinics, videos, etc in previous years has made my training more valuable, at least for my program and for those who pay me to do it for them??

I dang sure know a 1D horse typically sells for more.
If God brings you to it, He will bring you through it.

Offline FastnLittle

• Elite Member
  • Run With God
« Reply #61 on: April 18, 2007, 11:16:44 AM »
All I am saying is that I have had 1D horses before and I dont see that I spent any more money on them.  I have youngins now that will make 1 D horses still costing me the same to get there.  I train everything myself.  Coming back from an injury I am just glad to go.

I guess us loser 4d'rs will never understand.  All I have to say is I hope some child doesnt read these and get their hopes and dreams stomped on by the ugly words.  God Bless horses and I am glad he has lent me the ones I have weither they be the fastest or just the fun they are to ride.

I have so much more to say but I think they might object so I will just say this Life is short ride hard do your best and have a blast!  Anyone coming up with a young one go baby go I will look for you on the top one day!  All hopes and dreams are possible when you work hard enough.  I hope one day to find the secret so I dont have to work so stinking hard though!  We are all equal in God's eyes and he is telling me I mad my point so Good luck God Bless!

Offline KMS

• Extreme Member
« Reply #62 on: April 18, 2007, 11:17:31 AM »
Mandi
Sorry, wasn't pointing fingers at your or anyone else nor did I say "you" said it cost more.  Just reviewing the whole thread in general and everyone's opinion's on why the 1D should get more $$.  After all, I agreed they should but just not for the same reasons I hear from others.   Yes it cost more to GET a 1D horse either from the original cost, the cost of a trainer, the time if you train your own or whatever but it doesn't cost any more to own and compete on one than it does a 4D horse.  That was my point.  I personally can't afford the high dollar finished horse nor the high dollar trainer so I am destined to start hopefully in the 4D and work my way up but while I work my way up on my own or with the help of a trainer I think the costs about even out, just a matter of if you are writing a check to your trainer, or the time you personally put in to train them yourself.    In the end, we are all out a great deal of money whether you are in the 1D or the 4D for the sake of being a part of what we love.  Again, my apologies to Mandi for offending.
Keep your words soft and sweet as some day you may have to eat them.

Offline Mandi

• Fossil
« Reply #63 on: April 18, 2007, 11:21:18 AM »
All I am saying is that I have had 1D horses before and I dont see that I spent any more money on them.  I have youngins now that will make 1 D horses still costing me the same to get there.  I train everything myself.  Coming back from an injury I am just glad to go.

I guess us loser 4d'rs will never understand.  All I have to say is I hope some child doesnt read these and get their hopes and dreams stomped on by the ugly words.  God Bless horses and I am glad he has lent me the ones I have weither they be the fastest or just the fun they are to ride.

I have so much more to say but I think they might object so I will just say this Life is short ride hard do your best and have a blast!  Anyone coming up with a young one go baby go I will look for you on the top one day!  All hopes and dreams are possible when you work hard enough.  I hope one day to find the secret so I dont have to work so stinking hard though!  We are all equal in God's eyes and he is telling me I mad my point so Good luck God Bless!
Please point out exactly where any HARSH words were used??

I actually think I was quite clear in posting that what I said was my opinion and I don't believe anything I said was harsh. The "loser" remarks were interpretations, but no one was ever called a loser.
If God brings you to it, He will bring you through it.

Offline Gabe's Babe

• Defender of The Bored!!! Wait, Board???
  • Charter Member
  • Demi-God
    • Rachael's Equine Services
« Reply #64 on: April 18, 2007, 11:24:02 AM »
Oh one more thing Mandi you say u never spent more than $1500 on a horse but then you reference that you know what time, expense, etc goes into a 1D horse so how is it that yours is more "expensive" to keep than mine.

I don't mean to offend anyone it just makes my blood boil to see people act this way.  This is suppose to be fun and this kinda nonsense is what ruins it for everyone.  If you have a hobby such as this one you should be proud no matter what D you are in take pride and joy in the fact you found something you love. 
:crap:

8)I just wanted to say that me and Gabe won 2nd in the 4D this last sunday (4D slidepayw/added$$) and took home $86! We are so happy! He ran harder than last weekend and he is finally figuring out what to do and how to do it! If I was expected to run in the 1D everytime, I would quit. I would go back to doing playdays. I Barrel Race for fun and when you stop having fun, you need to stop going. I saw a kid one day that cried because she didn't fall in the 1D for the youth. This kid was like 6. She was crying because she said that she wasn't the fastest. That is sad. The little girl ran a great time and beat me.....as far as time goes....she even took home money, but someone put it in her head that she had to be the fastest every time. I would hate to see her when she gets into High School. She is gonna be so disappointed when she is not the prettiest, smartest, skinnyest, most athletic kid in school. We are all different and we all do things at our own pace. We need to be proud of our accomplishments. If you make a good run, Good for you! If you are a crack baby (slip in the cracks of the D's for the un-D people) or one that hits that 4D or 3D, congrats! Just have fun and do the best you can do! Chin up! Heels Down! Whip and Ride!

This topic is so important to me because my Dad always told me that as long as I was doing the best I could, he was happy. But, When I started running Gabe, he made the comment that Gabe would never be able to compete :!....4D's make it to where we are in the competition. So  <()> Dad! We are in the competition! We have won money 2 times out in a row now! Makes me wanna go out and ride! :)/\\

Offline Gabe's Babe

• Charter Member
  • Demi-God
« Reply #65 on: April 18, 2007, 11:29:51 AM »
Tell you what! Lets end this post! Lets all agree that Barrel Racing is awesome and we all just want to do the best we can! Way to much negative vibes coming out! I hope all of us just go out there and strive to do the best we can and learn from our mistakes from barrel race to barrel race. Improve on every stride! Man, I need to go home and ride my horse just to relax now! Whoosh..... >DANCE<

Offline Donk

• Fossil
« Reply #66 on: April 18, 2007, 11:31:51 AM »
 8)I just wanted to say that me and Gabe won 2nd in the 4D this last sunday (4D slidepayw/added$$) and took home $86! We are so happy! He ran harder than last weekend and he is finally figuring out what to do and how to do it! If I was expected to run in the 1D everytime, I would quit. I would go back to doing playdays. I Barrel Race for fun and when you stop having fun, you need to stop going. I saw a kid one day that cried because she didn't fall in the 1D for the youth. This kid was like 6. She was crying because she said that she wasn't the fastest. That is sad. The little girl ran a great time and beat me.....as far as time goes....she even took home money, but someone put it in her head that she had to be the fastest every time. I would hate to see her when she gets into High School. She is gonna be so disappointed when she is not the prettiest, smartest, skinnyest, most athletic kid in school. We are all different and we all do things at our own pace. We need to be proud of our accomplishments. If you make a good run, Good for you! If you are a crack baby (slip in the cracks of the D's for the un-D people) or one that hits that 4D or 3D, congrats! Just have fun and do the best you can do! Chin up! Heels Down! Whip and Ride!

This topic is so important to me because my Dad always told me that as long as I was doing the best I could, he was happy. But, When I started running Gabe, he made the comment that Gabe would never be able to compete :!....4D's make it to where we are in the competition. So  <()> Dad! We are in the competition! We have won money 2 times out in a row now! Makes me wanna go out and ride! :)/\\

[/quote]

Right there with ya  <BUDS>
Capps Cowboy Leatherwerx     Saddle & Tack Repair     Custom Items Built

Offline FastnLittle

• Elite Member
  • Run With God
« Reply #67 on: April 18, 2007, 11:33:33 AM »
I sent you a pm I am not trying to put anyone down I just think some things were uncalled for.  You dont have to come out and say your a loser for people to get that impression.  Like I said I just want everyone out there who isnt a 1D barrel racer to realize there is a reason to run and they are still winners in God's eyes no matter what other barrel racers say.

Offline FastnLittle

• Elite Member
  • Run With God
« Reply #68 on: April 18, 2007, 11:35:01 AM »
Tell you what! Lets end this post! Lets all agree that Barrel Racing is awesome and we all just want to do the best we can! Way to much negative vibes coming out! I hope all of us just go out there and strive to do the best we can and learn from our mistakes from barrel race to barrel race. Improve on every stride! Man, I need to go home and ride my horse just to relax now! Whoosh..... >DANCE<

Amen!!!!

Offline KMS

• Extreme Member
« Reply #69 on: April 18, 2007, 11:36:19 AM »

[/quote]

Our family does the Junior Rodeo thing so I know just what you mean about the kids that are disappointed when they aren't first.  My husband and I decided early on (after watching some of what was going on) that we would not do this unless it could be fun for our daughter and when it quit being fun for her and started being all about winning...we were done with it.  Our daughter is happy if they call out a time for her and she still thinks a 20 is better than a 16 because its a bigger number. If her goat doesn't get up and her poles are all standing up and she makes a good pattern on her barrels, ...that is what makes her happy and that is what makes us happy.  I am a strong believer that hard work will reap rewards and that we all have to pay our dues along the way.    Our daughter has won 4 saddles at Junior rodeos and she is 6 years old.  She didn't get them because she was the fastest at anything, she got them because she was the most consistant.  She got a time everytime and you know, she didn't even comprehend the accomplishment of winning the saddle because she got a bucket full of stuff the year before and she liked it better because she got to play with all the stuff.  She can't play with her saddle after all.  I hope that she will always leave the arena with a smile on her face and will always cheer for the other kids she competes with regardless of the outcome of the race or event.
Keep your words soft and sweet as some day you may have to eat them.

Offline lilbit

• Bittie Master of Mischievous
  • Posse Member
  • Fossil
    • http://www.myspace.com/txcanchaser74
« Reply #70 on: April 18, 2007, 11:37:42 AM »
When I started running barrels you had to be the fastest.. My dad never bought me that really nice horse that would take care of me. I had to work with what he gave me. I would ride everyday and on weekends would go everywhere I could. Alot of money and time was spent. I wish that the 4d's was around then. I would get discouraged and not want to go. But I had freinds that helped me and pushed me to get better and go.
Mandi- you say about the 1d horse is worth more. But I rode everyday and put blood sweet and tears into a horse. I still do. I pay the same amount to enter as that 1-d horse. I see pros and cons on the sliding pay scale it really does not matter to me. That gives me more incentive to do better if it is a sliding. It should alot of people.
You have your thoughts but watch how you say cause I see little girls like I was that they work with what they got. They listen to others and some give good advice and some give bad. Everyone now days seem to be a trainer and you have to watch. There are some real dumb people out there that give bad advice to a novice person.

Have a great day!!

Stefanie Medland

Offline Gabe's Babe

• Charter Member
  • Demi-God
« Reply #71 on: April 18, 2007, 11:54:53 AM »
When I started running barrels you had to be the fastest.. My dad never bought me that really nice horse that would take care of me. I had to work with what he gave me. I would ride everyday and on weekends would go everywhere I could. Alot of money and time was spent. I wish that the 4d's was around then. I would get discouraged and not want to go. But I had freinds that helped me and pushed me to get better and go.
Mandi- you say about the 1d horse is worth more. But I rode everyday and put blood sweet and tears into a horse. I still do. I pay the same amount to enter as that 1-d horse. I see pros and cons on the sliding pay scale it really does not matter to me. That gives me more incentive to do better if it is a sliding. It should alot of people.
You have your thoughts but watch how you say cause I see little girls like I was that they work with what they got. They listen to others and some give good advice and some give bad. Everyone now days seem to be a trainer and you have to watch. There are some real dumb people out there that give bad advice to a novice person.

Have a great day!!

My first horse was a green broke, 14.1hh appy! we payed a whole $500 for him with tack and all. I rode that horse every day. the thought of him still brings tears to my eyes. We worked hard, we played alot, and we had fun! I rode him for 13 years. He was a consistant 4D horse. We were happy! He passed and i miss him, but we worked hard for waht we achived and he won me alot of nice stuff. We started out at playdays and then "D's" came around. We were never fast enough to compete at the rodeos, but we actually could win with the D's!

Offline lilbit

• Bittie Master of Mischievous
  • Posse Member
  • Fossil
    • http://www.myspace.com/txcanchaser74
« Reply #72 on: April 18, 2007, 11:59:50 AM »
you are a barrel racer at heart!!

my 3rd horse I think my dad paid $2500.00 for him. I was able to rodeo on him. I could go to smaller rodeos and place. I thought I was a champion. I will never forget when I went to Jay Harmons and placed. Then there was Simonton and Man I thought I was somebody. I was 15 and actually placing and getting money. He ended up getting crippled and I sold him. There was also Cowbell, and Johnny Nashs pen that had those little weekend rodeos.
Now, I have a horse that has been hauled for a year now and we are working on getting there. One day I will.
Stefanie Medland

Offline Git-R-Done

• Mega Member
  • The Boys!
« Reply #73 on: April 18, 2007, 12:48:40 PM »
My first horse (well the first one that wouldn't run off with me) we bought out of the sale barn for very little (and that was ummm 26 years ago-ouch that hurt) and I won saddles, buckles, Rodeo Queen contest, placed at AQHA shows, high point in 4H from Halter to all speed events, went to HS State all 4 years.  The heart of the horse (as the heart of the rider) is what makes a horse a good horse or not. 
Heck i've seen people sell a horse as a "1D horse" just because he hit in the 1D one time-so catagorizing horses should be done with caution. 
I think this is one of those topics that there are soooo many opinions that an unanimous agreement will not be met-so be nice to each other and respect their opinions as you want your respected.

Offline 1texascowgirl

• Dinosaur!
« Reply #74 on: April 18, 2007, 01:18:21 PM »
My first horse Streak was bought for a whoping $600.00 And guess what, we broke the Mauriceville arena record at the Fireman's arena. Yes back in 1982 or so, but I was so proud. He was a 1D, 2D, 3D, 4D and maybe even a 5D horse
I never knew what we were going to do, but I never cared if we won or came in last. I just wanted to ride! Thats what it's all about. If you think you have to win all the time...GO PRO and leave all the little 4Ders alone. Go fill your card and go pro. Then ya won't have to deal with the rif raf. All these 1D horses had to start somewhere, they wern't ALWAYS 1D horses. I vote for 4 or 5D sliding scale. I do think better rider/horse combinations should get a little more, but we are all trying to do our best and I think for that we deserve something too. My daughter just started, and won the 4D this weekend in Stonewall (A whopping 32 dollars!) You would have thought see won a million dollars. She don't care, all she wants to do is ride and get better!!!!!! I just sold my 2D/3D horse and bought a ?????D horse, she has only been to 5 races, but I'll bet we can give ya a run for your money. Whatever D we
fall in ,who cares. As long as your doing your best & trying to improve, you should be so proud.  See ya at the races.                     
« Last Edit: April 18, 2007, 01:22:14 PM by 1texascowgirl »