8am - 6pm
Event Info Click Here

Online Entries are Open
Printable Entry Form
Event Info Click Here

Online Entries Open April 14
Event Info Click Here

Online Entries are Open

Author Topic: CHUTE SWEAT or more??  (Read 3206 times)

Offline crazyhorse

• Novice Member
CHUTE SWEAT or more??
« on: June 18, 2007, 12:40:51 PM »
Hi Martha,

OK, so I'm here because I, too am having alley issues with a really nice little, young horse.  All of the previous posts sound very familiar.  I've run barrels for MANY years and have, at one time or another, experienced many of the posted problems on different horses (none of which are still in my barn, BTW).  I have had several nice Open horses along the way, too that walked in on a slack rein...always my ultimate goal.

Now, with my new colt, I don't want to go through those alley issues....  I'm taking my time with him, walking, scoring, doing lots of other things (roping, trail rides, etc.)... but still, he is beginning to show signs of being scared to go in the arena.  He backs up, refusing to go in or takes his bit and turns to the right to go the opposite direction. Even trotting down the alley, he'll turn to the right to go out of the arena.  I can't decide if these are behavior problems (young and just "trying me" or going through "chute sweat") or a real physical issue.

This 5 year old is just starting his career.  He's only been loping barrels since January.  At this point, I'm only asking for faster speeds at his own pace (certainly not begging for more, yet).  We're running in the novice classes, only.  He's in the $200 Novice group and has been competing very well and very solid.  His times are usually 1 to 1.5 seconds off the winning time Open time.  I don't want to develop any bad habits this early.  I still take him about once a week to practice, where I do not compete.  I'll exhibition 3 times, walk, trot, walk (Boring-but I believe it's required at this stage).  I score him for hours during all drags before we run.  I only run him at CTBRAs (twice a month).  Otherwise, I ride at the house in the pasture (no barrels) or go team roping where I'll sit on him for hours just watching the roping.  We also bring up the steers each time and walk in and out of the roping boxes.

I notice that you've suggested vet checks, chiro checks, and most recently, ulcer checks.  Yikes!  Sigh!  I was hoping for an easy answer.  <COLOR GRIN>

Anyway, at this point, I would feel really silly (like a "typical barrel racer") running to the vet with this young horse and saying, my horse is refusing to go in the arena, can you check him for me?  :\\(((  Ya' know?  Otherwise, he looks terrific, travels great, no obvious signs of physical problems or lameness.  No soreness, swellings, or tenderness.  The tack appears to fit fine.  He's young & healthy.  He's sweet and kind.  He's quiet, not crazy or "hot" at all.  He is a very nice colt with a terrific future that I don't want to ruin.  Frankly, I'm a little scared to go forward. He's taken to the pattern really fast and is eager to please except for this problem.

Is it really time to go to the vet?  I'm committed to doing what it takes to keep him nice.  Help?  Your thoughts are sincerely appreciated.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2007, 02:29:59 PM by crazyhorse »

Offline Bob Gould

• Tamet's Husband
  • Administrator
  • Super Hero
    • Texas Rustic Elegance
Re: CHUTE SWEAT or more??
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2007, 10:33:59 PM »
Your young horse may be stressing more than you think and I would probably
have to look closer at the "ulcer thing".  You would be amazed and surprised
at the number of horses that DO have ulcers.  His attempts at not going into
the arena are a "red alert" that he is trying to tell you something is
bothering him and if you have addressed the issues of soreness, equipment
fit, etc. then I would certainly address the possibility of ulcers.  Don't
be afraid to look "silly" when your horse's health and well being is at
stake.
Martha Wright
This came to me while chopping wood the other day. You've heard don't sweat the small stuff. I say save it for later and use it for kindling