8am - 6pm
Event Info Click Here

Online Entries are Closed
Printable Entry Form
Event Info Click Here

Online Entries are Open!
Event Info Click Here

Online Entries Open April 1

Author Topic: Early July update (Ben goes to the Dentist!) 7-24-07  (Read 13969 times)

Offline Tamet Gould

• Administrator
  • Super Hero
  • I was riding even before I was born!
    • Ebarrelracing.com
Early July update (Ben goes to the Dentist!) 7-24-07
« on: July 13, 2007, 06:48:30 AM »
Whew, finally getting around to this.  Ben was doing so good and we were very excited in March when we got to start taking him to the specialized therapy in Plano.  Not only that but you cant believe how it is so wild that his left leg just straightened itself out and his left foot no longer points completely out.  Now, that, I thought was wild.  Here it is July and he is still carrying it like he should.   I did notice that his toes were purple the other day so we will be making another appointment and see if they cant do some more for him. 

Now, let me tell you what has been going on since we starting taking him to Plano;
It has been an up and down trail ride!!!!!   >:D  Sometimes I have been sooooooooooooooooooooooooooo excited and some times I have been SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO Frustrated!!!   :\\((( :\\(((  But, thru it all I have known this is the place that is going to help him with his social skills, his abillity to talk to others and soooooooooooooooooo many other things. 

Now, just this last month (June) we got the Trailer given away that Linda Brune and Destry and Corky bought for him and we got enough there at the end that we decided to up his therapy to 2x's a week in Plano.  Now, not only does that mean Im spending a TONNNNNN of $$$$$ on gas but the therapy session each day is $195 and that comes to $390 a week!!!!!  But, well worth EVERY cent. 

Well we have learned from them that the most important thing to these kiddos is CONSISTENCY CONSISTENCY CONSISTENCY!!!!!  I knew then that Bob was the key that we needed to unlock Bens door.  So, I convinced Bob to start going once a week and doing the therapy with Ben so he can learn what we ALL should be doing.  Now, Ben he didnt - doesnt appreciate us changing his world or forking over his control of his little world and it shows in his behaviors.  MOST especially here in the last 3 weeks.   The whole situation was coming to a head and it popped last Friday.   I asked him to say "HI" and he decided to dig in and NOT say "HI".   Well, Bob myself and Kelly decided to dig in beside him and make him say "HI".  ALL 3 OF US APPLIED WHAT WE HAVE LEARNED FROM THE CENTER IN PLANO.   Ben WAS NOT HAPPY THAT EVERYONE IN THE HOUSE DECIDED TO BE CONSISTENT!!   >:D  It took him 2 1/2 hrs of us riding his butt for him to say "HI" but he did!   <ROCKON>

Now, of course, this made him MADDER THAN A HORNETT  *:).  He was striking EVERYONE, not just Bob anymore and that upset Bob but over the next few days he calmed down.   Of course it didnt help that he hadnt felt good all that week and then we asked him to do something he didnt want to.  BUT, let me tell you.   After that Frid that we all spent 2 1/2 hrs doing that.  When we tell him to do something now, he does it.   rofl rofl  Nothing like that kind of complience.   8) 8)

Anyway, to make a LONNNNNNGGGGGGG  story short, Bob went to therapy with him yesterday Thur (we go on Mondays and Thursdays) Ben did SSSSSOOOOOOOO AWESOME.   We told them the situation and warned them of the striking and he didnt do that at alllllllll until it was time to go and he was told to get in the truck, and he only reached out 3x's going to the truck and only once while buckling up ( a complete reversal from every other time, when he was like medusa with his arms trying to get you while you leaned over to setbelt him in), of course it didnt hurt any that I have been making him get in and out, in and out, in and out, as long as he is still pinching and hitting and head butting while trying to get him in and out.   >:D   

We are very excited because his manding (requesting things with the appropriate sign and word) is sky rocketing and he is doing it for some things that arent visible at the time (HUGE STEP IN THE DEVELOPMENT WORLD) and his articulation is getting sooooooo muchhhhhhh betterrrrrrrr.   Mother was down the other day and she just couldnt get over how well he was saying some things, it just amazed her. 

Now, I will tell yall, I have set my precedence pretty high.  I am seeing light at the end of that tunnel and my goal is for him to acquire as many abilities to function like you or I as he can and I put no limits on that.  He amazes me everyday.  NEVER think he doesnt know what you are talking about or think he doesnt understand you.   He is a smart fart.  And he will let you do as much as you will do for him just becasue you think he cant do something ("Oh, he is so cute but he cant put his shoes or glasses on by himself.......  Ohhhhhhh)  Horse $@^*!!!!!!!   We were in therapy the other day and Holly (his therapist) told him to put his glasses on after he took them off and the little fart just stuck them right on his face!!!!   <..>   NOW, I have been doing that for him every since we got them  *:),  well no more and I look at him suspiciously now when I ask him to do something because I ALWAYS have it at the back of my mind now, the little fart can do it on his own!!!!   Im not doing it for him anymore!    <..>

Yes, I know sounds just like a brat doesnt it, well of course his health problems throughout his life have not helped any, like not being able to hear at key developmental times, having fluid in his ear during the stage his CNS was learning to balance, etc etc etc (the Ohhhhhhhhh poor thing factor!!!!).  (I can go on forever) but I think the human body is a miracle in its capabilities and I expect the awesome creation called the human body to make as much headway as it possibly can by cleaning the toxins and poisions out of his system and keeping it as clean as I can, by providing opportunities for his body to relearn or learn things that it didnt during those crucial times.   Then with the help of the ABA/VB therapy I look for him to catch up as much as possible in his social skills, language skills, behavioral skills etc.  These are most important to him leading a normal life.   

The sky is the limit and I learn each day how trully big that sky is.   Each time my sight of his abilities has narrowed down he comes along and does something that just blows me away and instantly the world or my vision of his world is enlarged again.  In the end, I feel like Ben has been cheated of a normal life, I feel that Joseph has been cheated of having a brother to play with, argue with, fight with and laugh with, I feel that I was cheated of a normal son and of the ability to watch him and his brother grow up together.   At the same time, I also feel that I have been blessed with my oldest son Joseph and that he is an extrodinarily exeptional young man, and thank God for him.   So, I will set at this table in my life because I have to, it is what was given to me.   Now, the catch is, dont always expect me to like the food I have been served and dont always expect me to not try to change the menu or the chair arrangment or the dishes or even rebuild that table if I want or need to.  Because, if I have to set at that table then by golly I want to enjoy my time there and I want everyone with me to enjoy it also, so it is my job to accomplish that!!!!!   >:D

So, Please continue to keep Ben, Bob, Joseph and myself in your prayers. 
« Last Edit: July 24, 2007, 08:44:03 PM by Tamet Gould »
Aut viam inveniam aut faciam - I will either find a way or make one.  "Can't lives on Won't street."

Let us be reminded of what Captain John Parker told his army at Lexington Green, the place where the War for Independence began in 1775. He said, “Stand your ground. Don’t fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war, let it begin here.

Offline Charlotte C

• Posse Member
  • Veteran Member
    • www.cunninghambuckles.com
Re: Early July update
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2007, 09:32:36 AM »
That sounds like he is doing really good.  I love it!  Wonderful and keep up the good work
My motto is from the Top Gun movie "I feel the need the need for speed"

Offline Tamet Gould

• Administrator
  • Super Hero
    • Ebarrelracing.com
Re: Early July update
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2007, 04:59:09 PM »
Had another GREAT day in therapy.  He did awesome last thur and he did awesome today to.   Hope this is a trend!!!! 8)
Aut viam inveniam aut faciam - I will either find a way or make one.  "Can't lives on Won't street."

Let us be reminded of what Captain John Parker told his army at Lexington Green, the place where the War for Independence began in 1775. He said, “Stand your ground. Don’t fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war, let it begin here.

Offline Tamet Gould

• Administrator
  • Super Hero
    • Ebarrelracing.com
Re: Early July update (Ben goes to the Dentist!) 7-24-07
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2007, 08:48:05 PM »
Wow, what a day.   We carried Ben to the dentist today and I sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo dreaded it.   But, you would not believe, he sat there the whole time, they xrayed his teeth, they cleaned his teeth, they polished his teeth and if they had an xtra chair available today they would have filled the little cavity today.   HE DID AWWEEESSSSOOOMMMMEEE!!!!!   8) 8) 8) 8)

Of course he had a great dental assistant, she was cute and blond headed and smiled and talked to him and told him EVERYTHING she was going to do.   He just smiled at her the whole time. 

We go back next Tues to get the cavity taken care of.   What a day, I NEVER dreamed he would completely set for a dentist appointment.

Offline Destry Fleming

• Mega Member
    • UWINMORE.COM
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2007, 08:45:11 PM »
I can't imagine how hard it must be.  I think it says a world about the kind of parents Tamet & Bob are.  Keep hanging tough.  There are alot of prayers being sent your way that y'all never know about.  This kinda sounds odd,, but I think Ben is lucky.  Lucky to have y'all as his mom and dad and such a huge extended family that cares for him. 

Offline LBrune

• Mega Member
  • Ebarrelracing.com rocks
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2007, 06:32:27 PM »
I can't imagine how hard it must be.  I think it says a world about the kind of parents Tamet & Bob are.  Keep hanging tough.  There are alot of prayers being sent your way that y'all never know about.  This kinda sounds odd,, but I think Ben is lucky.  Lucky to have y'all as his mom and dad and such a huge extended family that cares for him. 
  DITTO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline Tamet Gould

• Administrator
  • Super Hero
    • Ebarrelracing.com
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2007, 07:28:19 PM »
Thanks guys......   Its been a rough weekend.   Ben is having pain from something and we cant figure out what.   I have suspicions, but as usual trying to convince a Dr to do the tests I think need to be done is like pulling finger nails out.  Will let you know later this week. 

He is having bouts of pain within 15 to 20 minutes every time he eats and needless to say his appetite has dropped DRASTICALLY.   Those of you who have been around him during a meal know he can eat the north side of a south bound cow and some more.   He wont even finish a small portion on his plate, this has been going on for several days now, just really escalated today.   He is running and screaming from one in of the house to the other and goes to set on the pot at least 25 x's a day.   He is urinating only small amounts and not pooping much either and that worries me.   So I suspect either urinary tract infection or his gut is inflamed or maybe both.  God obviously is the only one that knows.   Please keep him in your prayers.

Offline slow poke

• Novice Member
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2007, 11:37:02 AM »
Overlooking the really important things in life can be so easy when you are involved in your own
little circle of life.  I pray for others as an overall blanket unless I know them personally.  I did not
realize that was what I was doing until this morning.  I kept passing up the prayer discussions that
are on the general discussion ( I guess I did not want to know ), but I didn't even realize I was
doing it until I got to thinking how many times I have clicked over Ben's Diary or Prayers for Benjamin.
I have read quite a few of the general discussions, but never the one's asking for prayer.  I just
said a quick prayer for that person or horse.

I saw Top News This Week "Please pray for Benjamin" and scrolled over it several times, but I kept
coming back to it.  Something was tugging on my heart.  I think on myself as caring for others, but
I had to ask myself,"Have I been selfish and burying my head in the sand"?  Don't get me wrong
I do love people and I love God most of all.

Ben- you have touched my life and I don't even know you.  I have started reading your diary and
will continue to read it.  I don't know what CNS is, but I will research it. You will be in my prayers
every day from now on. 

The doctors that have such a negative outlook obviously do not know the power of God and a
family that has God in their lives.  Those doctors just make you work harder.  It sounds like with
prayers, your hard work, love, and lots of patience, Ben is becoming a different boy from the
doctors predicted.  Keep your faith and love and lean on your friends.  Bless you for being the
parents you are.

Offline Tamet Gould

• Administrator
  • Super Hero
    • Ebarrelracing.com
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2007, 11:42:52 AM »
Thank you so much for your prayer and thoughts. 

CNS means Central Nervous System   <ROCKON>

I just want everyone to know that all your prayers and things that you have done for Benjamin are SOOOOOOOOOO appreciated.   We wouldnt be able to do a lot of the things we are doing for him right now if it wasnt for yall. 

Offline moonie3

• Novice Member
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2007, 01:10:57 PM »
I will pray for him too, Tamet, I guess i don't understand it all, but I need also to pay more attention to others problems, and try to stay off of my own so much, so Prayers for Benjamin  <(' ')>

Offline Becky Yeary

• Extreme Member
« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2007, 07:24:12 PM »
Tamet you and Bob are wonderful parents and have 2 wonderful boys for proof of that, Keep up the great work that you do and know that you are always in my prayer.  (+)

Offline olneykat

• Elite Member
  • Just smile...make people wonder what you're up to!
« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2007, 09:58:29 PM »
God Bless you and your family....you are all truly amazing and blessed people! We could all learn so much from each of you!  God Bless...you are all in my prayers!
KC

Offline Bob Gould

• Tamet's Husband
  • Administrator
  • Super Hero
    • Texas Rustic Elegance
« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2007, 01:37:42 PM »
There is a link to video of it here:
http://ebarrelracing.com/forum/index.php?topic=11322.0
This came to me while chopping wood the other day. You've heard don't sweat the small stuff. I say save it for later and use it for kindling

Offline Notsofast

• Novice Member
« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2007, 01:56:37 PM »
Wow Tamet - how do you do it all ? May God bless your family, over & over again !!