8am - 6pm
Event Info Click Here

Online Entries are Open
Printable Entry Form
Event Info Click Here

Online Entries Open April 14
Event Info Click Here

Online Entries are Open

Author Topic: SKELETON IN AN AD  (Read 12588 times)

Offline memphis

• Mega Member
  • Ebarrelracing.com rocks
Re: SKELETON IN AN AD
« Reply #45 on: July 25, 2007, 01:04:32 PM »
oh you don't know how hard it was to keep my cool and just go off on him, but I want to wait and do that after she's loaded in the trailer.
He said she's a little poor cause I just weaned a baby off her.  I said oh really, how old's the baby.  He said it's a year or so.  I said, isn't that a little long to leave one on it's momma.  He said well, I felt sorry for it, it had gotten hurt and I wanted her to feed it. DUH....I almost come unglued.  Dipsh*t.....he let her feed it so he wouldn't have to...I was fuming when I got off the phone.  And the bug in his pasture, I couldn't even ask what kind of friggin bugs do you have in your pasture?  There's probably not a blade of grass in the pasture.  You can see from the first picture of her, there's grass in the yard. That must be what he's saying he's got her tied out eating.  People like this that have no clue don't need horses....and poor thing....he's had her 9 yrs.  And in a few minutes I'll tell you guys what he said about trimming her feet....you will fall out.

Offline LUV2BRUNINCANS

• Elite Member
« Reply #46 on: July 25, 2007, 01:45:50 PM »
There are two horse boarding facilities in Lake Charles, La. 20 miles from Kinder.  The one called Somers Equestrian says it has 24 hour emergency evacuations(hurricanes), 24 hour vet on-call, etc.  Maybe you could contact them being only 20 miles to bring a truck and trailer and board this horse until you can get back with yours.  Still depends on the coggins, I know, but it is a thought to ponder.

Offline memphis

• Mega Member
« Reply #47 on: July 25, 2007, 01:53:35 PM »
Thanks, that is a great idea. 
Now for the rest of our conversation.  I asked him how she was to trim her feet or shoe her.  He said she's fine I do her myself.  I said oh really that's cool, alot of people don't know how. ( Played dumb)  He says "oh it ain't hard....but I just trim her, had shoes on her once though. Then he says.....get this...."when I ride her on the rode or parade I just leave her toes real long and it helps her to keep from slipping on the road." 
I wanted to go off.....but have kept my cool. 
Just talked to him again and got the directions to his place.  If I can get out of here around 3 I'll be there by 5 pm. If the coggins was not an issue, I'd have her picked up right away.  I don't think anyone would let me board her there without it.  I mean I wouldn't.  He's had her for 9 yrs.  It's probably the first one she's ever had.  I know I'm literally NOT going to want to drive off and leave her there, but don't see where I have a lot of choice without that coggins.  I just don't want to take a chance.  And she will be in isolation for a little while at my place once I get her there too. Just to be safe.

Offline farrierlady

• Novice Member
« Reply #48 on: July 25, 2007, 02:01:05 PM »
Ok, so you are definetly buying her correct?  I have been searching shippers to get a quote to have her sent to AL with me.

I think you can call the lab that has the coggins (or the VET or current owner can) and see if you can get a rush on it, or at least the outcome and have it faxed to the Vet????

Please let us know if you buy her or not.  And how the conditions are where she is at.

Offline Stacieleighmay

• Fossil
  • Me and my roomie Jenni
« Reply #49 on: July 25, 2007, 02:04:17 PM »
Man, this guy really has no clue, and I know I'm no genius by any means and I don't know everything about horses and don't claim to, but at least I know you have to feed them!  And I agree, he left the colt on her so that he wouldn't have to feed it, or pretty much do anything to it.  I bet that colt probably hasn't even had hardly anything done to him.  It's just really, really sad.  I wish that you could find a place that would let you board her overnight, but I understand about the whole coggins issue, even though her blood has already been drawn for it.  I think it's a good idea to talk to that vet too, and see what they think about the whole issue, unless of course they are buddy/buddy with each other.  I can't believe the vet didn't say anything to the man.  Wonder what kind of story he gave to the vet in order to get a coggins drawn on her.  I'd ask that too.  And does is really take 10 - 14 days to get a coggins back??  I guess since Texas A&M is right here it's only 2-3 days, but even when you go to sale barns they pull them right there and have the results??  Or am I wrong?
My faith is the evidence of things unseen.
The fear of loss is a path to the dark side.
We ride never worry about the fall...I guess that's just the Cowboy in us all...

Offline Tysh

• Mega Member
« Reply #50 on: July 25, 2007, 04:11:17 PM »
you are right.. sale barns have them right away.. that's where we used to go to get ours done..  we would have them within minutes.

I just can't believe this guy is for real.. poor mare!!!!  must have been a LOOOOOOOOOOOOONG 9 years.

Offline turnincircles

• Dinosaur!
« Reply #51 on: July 25, 2007, 07:26:10 PM »
If they can draw them at a sale barn and have the results right way can we find a sale barn in that area.  Is Kirbyville sale barn still open?  How far is that from Kinder?
You can go and worry about the competition, and worry whether your horse will work, or whether you've selected the right bridle.  But if you've done your homework, you should be able to go out and just enjoy your ride.---The late cutting horse trainer Greg Ward of Tulare, California.

Offline Gabe's Babe

• Defender of The Bored!!! Wait, Board???
  • Charter Member
  • Demi-God
    • Rachael's Equine Services
« Reply #52 on: July 25, 2007, 07:31:19 PM »
Ummm, you cant cross state lines without a clean coggins! Kirbyville is about 4 hours away and is in Texas.But, yes it is still open! I would think the race track would be a better place.....Delta Downs in Vinton, LA! Its right off of I-10 before you cross state lines!

Offline luvinrunnin

• Novice Member
« Reply #53 on: July 26, 2007, 01:11:27 AM »
This guy is for sure an idiot. What he told me about the bugs is that there's a lot of bugs there, and that the mare doesn't get any rest from the bugs, and that's partly why she is so thin. Told me also that his BIL told him how to do the feet.....no telling what condition her feet are in.

Anyway, I was just wondering if Memphis made it out to see the mare, and what happened. We are working hard on getting this mare out of there, and need to know if someone gets her. Thanks Memphis, for going!

Offline Sherry May

• Posse Member
  • Fossil
  • We ran a 21.263!
« Reply #54 on: July 26, 2007, 08:02:40 AM »
memphis, please update us!
Yesterday is history.
   Tomorrow a mystery.
      Today is a gift.
          That is why it is called the present.

Offline memphis

• Mega Member
« Reply #55 on: July 26, 2007, 09:07:45 AM »
Ok everyone....I've bought the mare.....this is the deal...I am a very strong person and it takes a whole lot to make me cry but when I left there yesterday evening and started talking to my sister on the phone, I CRIED.  It killed me to leave her there.  I've got the phone # for the vet that drew the coggins and will be calling him when I finish this post. 
When I pulled up, she was saddled and tied up to a post so tight she couldn't move and with the reins on a short shank tom thumb snaffle.  The first thing I did was tell him to undue that wreck waiting to happen.  Then I looked at her and she's SOAKING WET with sweat.  I asked him why was she all wet.  He says " oh I ran her down the road a little bit, I've been riding her once a week to get her in shape."  I was so pissed.  I said sir, this horse is in no shape to even be ridden much less ran, worked or attempt to get her in shape. You can't get a horse like this in shape,she needs LOTS of weight on her.  I kept my cool and just kept thinking I've got to get her out of here. She's pitiful.  Anyway the conversation went on, I looked at and picked all her feet up ( they're a mess but not as bad as expected)  Then he hops on her.  I said sir you do not need to ride her for me, I want the mare and I don't think she needs to be ridden anymore.  He says she's ok...trots her around the yard and he kicks her pretty good and I almost lost it.  She grunted, he says she usually don't do that grunting noise wonder why she did that"  I said well I'll tell you why, If you were a skeleton and a 300 # man got on your back and kicked you in the rib bones, don't you think you'd grunt too? He shut up.  Oh I was almost loosing it then.  He got off and I told him I wanted to see her without the saddle.  He says "OH that's not a pretty site"  I said I'm sure it's not, but I want to see her all over.  I almost cried...I've never seen wither bones so prominent, I mean I've seen some skinny horses but you could literally count vertibrae.  I'll finish this in another post in a few minutes. I'm at work and I've got to take this call. Sorry

Offline Gabe's Babe

• Defender of The Bored!!! Wait, Board???
  • Charter Member
  • Demi-God
    • Rachael's Equine Services
« Reply #56 on: July 26, 2007, 09:29:11 AM »
omg.... you are leaving me in suspense!!!!

Offline FastnLittle

• Elite Member
  • Run With God
« Reply #57 on: July 26, 2007, 09:34:04 AM »
omg.... you are leaving me in suspense!!!!

ME TOO!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline twalton

• Extreme Member
  • God Bless our Troops!
« Reply #58 on: July 26, 2007, 09:35:32 AM »
I think I'm gonna cry :\\((( My heart goes out to her and I am very greatful for what your doing Memphis <(..)> You are an Angel
If you don't stand for something you'll fall for anything

Offline Stacieleighmay

• Fossil
  • Me and my roomie Jenni
« Reply #59 on: July 26, 2007, 09:40:33 AM »
I can't believe it.  He's 300# and his horse is starving?? Obviously he makes money to feed himself well, why can't he do the same for the horse?   I can't believe he got on her!  <IMSOMAD>  Did you get to see any of the other horses, like the colt he just weaned off her?  What about her feet...are they bad too? 
My faith is the evidence of things unseen.
The fear of loss is a path to the dark side.
We ride never worry about the fall...I guess that's just the Cowboy in us all...