8am - 6pm
Event Info Click Here

Online Entries are Open
Printable Entry Form
Event Info Click Here

Online Entries Open April 14
Event Info Click Here

Online Entries are Open

Author Topic: SKELETON IN AN AD  (Read 12587 times)

Offline memphis

• Mega Member
  • Ebarrelracing.com rocks
Re: SKELETON IN AN AD
« Reply #60 on: July 26, 2007, 09:56:25 AM »
Ok I'm back for a few more minutes.  Yes he's close to 300 lbs.  What pissed me off is he gets off and he's sweating too and says, just a minute will you hold her, I gotta get my beer.  So I take her after he's taken the saddle off and walk her around and she's got her head down looking pitiful.  A little boy walks up maybe 3 or 4 yrs old and he wanted to pet her, she dropped her head down for him to rub her nose.  I asked him how long had the colt been off of her cause she had no bag.  He says, oh about 4 weeks ago I brung her here and my other ones are out at the pasture.  I said where's that at.  Oh it's not too far from here.  I wanted to go look at them, but decided not to since I didn't know this guy and was by myself. 
Anyway...I asked him what was he feeding her.  He said "well I started feeding her when I brung (irks me to hear someone say brung instead of brought) her here, I give her 3 GALLONS of 12% SWEET FEED".  I said Gallons ???? He said yeah, all at once. I about died.  I can't believe what I just heard.  I can't believe she's not foundered, or colicked. Anyway...I commence to tell him he was going to kill her if IN FACT he was really feeding her that and asked that he give her feed 2 or 3 times a day not all at once until I come pick her up.  I told him to NOT give her that much feed.  He said " well she's ate all the grass up in my yard and she acts like she's starving"  I said SHE IS STARVING!!!!!
I look at her teeth and fell out....I asked him have you had her teeth floated?  He said " nope never".  I said never? He said nope never, not in the 9 yrs I've had her".  I just shook my head....to be continued.....

Offline Gabe's Babe

• Defender of The Bored!!! Wait, Board???
  • Charter Member
  • Demi-God
    • Rachael's Equine Services
« Reply #61 on: July 26, 2007, 10:02:50 AM »
 <IMSOMAD> <IMSOMAD> <IMSOMAD> <IMSOMAD>

Offline Stacieleighmay

• Fossil
  • Me and my roomie Jenni
« Reply #62 on: July 26, 2007, 10:06:56 AM »
Oh geez!  Where's a frying pan to smack this guy with when you need one?   :SLAM: So when do you get to go back and pick her up for good?
My faith is the evidence of things unseen.
The fear of loss is a path to the dark side.
We ride never worry about the fall...I guess that's just the Cowboy in us all...

Offline twalton

• Extreme Member
  • God Bless our Troops!
« Reply #63 on: July 26, 2007, 10:13:50 AM »
OK... This is our new Story... You know you are going to have to keep us all posted on her rehabilitation.  We want to hear and if possible, see pictures of how she's doing and coming along.  I think this mare holds a special spot in our hearts now and we are all rooting for her.  I just hope and pray he doesn't have a whole pasture full of horses in the same shape as her.
If you don't stand for something you'll fall for anything

Offline Gabe's Babe

• Charter Member
  • Demi-God
« Reply #64 on: July 26, 2007, 10:15:46 AM »
Yeah, what about her "colt"?

Offline memphis

• Mega Member
« Reply #65 on: July 26, 2007, 10:17:34 AM »
Ok so I ask the guy do you feed her any hay? "Nope, just let her eat the grass here".  I said ok, this is the deal, it's going to take months to get her healthy, he interupts and says yeah, I probably shouldn't have put her on the internet til she got fat" DUH....and then he says what do you do trailride?  I said yeah and barrel race. OOPS>>>>  he says "did you see her on a barrelracing website?"  I said no I saw her on setx.com why? He says " well I've been getting all these nasty emails and phone calls about her and it's from barrelracers"  I almost busted out laughing.  I acted like I didn't know what he was talking about and said well back to where I was a minute ago, months to get her fat, and I'm at least 6 hrs to drive up here with the trailer, gas hog truck plus 6 hrs back, what's the least you'll take for her?  He says $400.  So I didn't say anything I just kept petting on her, getting twisties out of her mane and a few minutes later I asked him well will you take $350 and I barely got it out of my mouth and he says "Yep sure will".  So that's what I got her for.  Gotta run for a minute be be right back.

Offline Stacieleighmay

• Fossil
  • Me and my roomie Jenni
« Reply #66 on: July 26, 2007, 10:21:45 AM »
LMAO!  /|\\  I'm sorry, not laughing about the situation, but you have to admit, that's pretty funny him telling you he's been getting calls from barrel racers.

So when will you be able to go pick her up?  Anything else he said while you were down there?
We ride never worry about the fall...I guess that's just the Cowboy in us all...

Offline memphis

• Mega Member
« Reply #67 on: July 26, 2007, 11:04:47 AM »
Well she's not registered, no idea of bloodlines etc. Asked him about the colt and he pretty much evaded any real info on it.  He said she's had 3 colts since he got her. Said a friend had a stud he bred her to twice and then said he had a stud horse for a while he bred her to him.  Oh and I asked him what kind of bugs was it that he had in his pasture that he had to get her out of it?  He said " mosquitos".  I looked around and said, you don't have any here too?  He laughed and said "no not as bad as at the pasture and they were driving her crazy".  Thing is he had a nice looking house, a nice truck and travel trailer parked out front, a nice car in the driveway and his wife seemed really nice although she didn't have much to say. 
I talked to the Vets office and they told me that the coggins tests are done in their own lab. Their lab tech is on vacation this week and will not be back until Tues. the test would be ready Wed or Thurs so that means I can't pick her up til next weekend.  I am sick about that, I really don't want to leave her a whole week longer, but am scared to take her home (across state lines) without a clean coggins.  You just never know.  But believe me I'm tempted to do it anyway and take my chances.  I could isolate her at home but then what if it comes back positive.  The check I left him is to be held til the test comes back and if neg. then I'll get her and he can either cash the check then or I'll take him cash and get the check back.  He totally agreed to that.

Offline Katy Holloway

• Posse Member
  • Fossil
  • My younger days!!!!!
« Reply #68 on: July 26, 2007, 11:12:37 AM »
I have just been reading and not commenting.  Memphis you deserve a big hug from everyone of us.  I do have one small suggestion, could you have the vet go out and pick her up and keep her at his clinic?  It shouldn't cost to much and she WON"T be with that idiot!!! JMHO
Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea!

Be exalted, O God, above the heavens; let Your glory be above all the earth!!
Psalm 57:5

Offline memphis

• Mega Member
« Reply #69 on: July 26, 2007, 11:22:48 AM »
Katy, that's a good idea.  I am waiting for the vet himself to call me back, he was on a ranch call.  I spoke with one of his girls in the office and talked about the whole issue.  Her husband rodeo's so she's aware of the coggins issue.  I know I can get her into TX without any papers.  The check station has been closed on IH-10 EVERY time I've come in from Orange/Louisiana.  But she says there is a man that works out that area in a truck, but does not have an actual station, and he can stop you.  I will call her back and see if they'd board her.  I'd be willing to pay for that if they could do it.  I'll keep you posted.  As far as hugs....all of you guys deserve a big thanks too....all of those that have responded, called and emailed him, posted it on other websites, thanks.  I know it means alot to see people care as much as I do about animal abuse especially horses.  Thanks guys.....oh and shortly I'll tell you all another story about this situation, but it might just make you cry too.  Gotta get to doing some work so might be a little while. 

Offline Gabe's Babe

• Charter Member
  • Demi-God
« Reply #70 on: July 26, 2007, 11:27:01 AM »
 (((((((HUGS)))))))) (((((((HUGS)))))))) (((((((HUGS)))))))) (((((((HUGS)))))))) (((((((HUGS)))))))) (((((((HUGS))))))))

Offline Stacieleighmay

• Fossil
  • Me and my roomie Jenni
« Reply #71 on: July 26, 2007, 11:36:13 AM »
Big  (((((((HUGS)))))))) to you Memphis!  I hope the coggins comes back clean too.  I'll be waiting in suspense for the next story, hurry back!

Offline Sherry May

• Posse Member
  • Fossil
  • We ran a 21.263!
« Reply #72 on: July 26, 2007, 11:56:51 AM »
Memphis, get her moved.  I will help pay for the boarding! 
Yesterday is history.
   Tomorrow a mystery.
      Today is a gift.
          That is why it is called the present.

Offline mandilou

• Elite Member
  • God Is Great...All The Time
« Reply #73 on: July 26, 2007, 12:13:49 PM »
That's what I was thinking.  Memphis if you get her moved to the vet and pm me your address and stuff I will donate some cash for boarding too.  I will atleast pay for 1 day, every little bit will help.  I could hardly sleep last night thinking about this story...I said a prayer for you and her both.
If you think you can or think you can't...either way you're right.

When I stand before God at the end of my life, I would hope that I would have not a single bit of talent left, and could say, "I used everything you gave me."

Maci LeeAnn Walters - August 20, 2007.  I am BLESSED!

Offline memphis

• Mega Member
« Reply #74 on: July 26, 2007, 12:18:11 PM »
Thanks all of you.....the money is not an issue.  I appreciate the offers though...the thing is I don't have my truck and trailer here but could go get her Saturday.  I'm going to call the vet back and see if I get her there will they keep her. I think the guy would take her over to the vet for me.   Would be a good time while she's there to check her out good, do a 5 day power pack etc. on her while she's there.  I'll let you know shortly what they tell me.