Event Info Click Here

Online Entries are Open
Printable Entry Form
Event Info Click Here

Online Entries Open April 14
Event Info Click Here

Online Entries are Open

Poll

Would anyone be interested in an association where the winning time starts at 17 flat?

HECK YEAH
9 (16.4%)
NO WAY
28 (50.9%)
WOULD CONSIDER
18 (32.7%)

Total Members Voted: 49

Author Topic: New Barrel Association  (Read 13559 times)

Offline elliemae2u2

New Barrel Association
« on: December 04, 2007, 02:18:46 PM »
Would anyone have an interest in jackpots where you had to run a 17 flat or slower?  Those of us with the somewhat "slower" horses could have some place to win more cash!!!!

Offline Bob Gould

• Tamet's Husband
  • Administrator
  • Super Hero
    • Texas Rustic Elegance
Re: New Barrel Association
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2007, 02:20:57 PM »
Maybe I'm a dummy but what if someone ran over 17 at this barrel race what would happen to them?
This came to me while chopping wood the other day. You've heard don't sweat the small stuff. I say save it for later and use it for kindling

Offline Gabe's Babe

• Defender of The Bored!!! Wait, Board???
  • Charter Member
  • Demi-God
    • Rachael's Equine Services
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2007, 02:21:23 PM »
Not really sure what you mean...more detail...

Offline Jamee Johnson

• Extreme Member
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2007, 02:21:40 PM »
well that all depends on the arena.. what would happen if you thought your horse was slow and ended up going faster?

Offline elliemae2u2

« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2007, 02:31:26 PM »
Maybe I'm a dummy but what if someone ran over 17 at this barrel race what would happen to them?

The winning time started with the fastest time in the 17's.  Then go by a 4 or 5D format.  Does that make sense?  For example, lets say a 17.881 was the fastest, this time would set the pace.  I just keep looking at all the results at these bigger races and there are a lot of horses that run in the 17's or up and they don't have a chance against the 15 second horses.  I just thought a venue that started with 17 second times would give all these horses a chance to win some money!

Offline elliemae2u2

« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2007, 02:33:29 PM »
well that all depends on the arena.. what would happen if you thought your horse was slow and ended up going faster?

Most of us know that our horses run in the 17's in most arenas, if you horse happens to run faster then you're out of the running...kinda like the 17 second horses or slower being out of the running if the winning times start at 15 or faster! 

Downthealley

« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2007, 02:46:18 PM »

so whats the incentive in bettering myself or my horse?  :((((

Offline lilbit

• Bittie Master of Mischievous
  • Posse Member
  • Fossil
    • http://www.myspace.com/txcanchaser74
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2007, 02:46:46 PM »
okay- that sounds jacked up!
Stefanie Medland

Offline elliemae2u2

« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2007, 02:49:46 PM »

so whats the incentive in bettering myself or my horse?  :((((

If you think your horse has more to give then this wouldn't be the venue for you!  But you know there are some horses out there that are giving 100% and will still only run in the 17's and so on.  This could be a place for newcomers to start out and the horses that will never run faster a place to go.

Offline elliemae2u2

« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2007, 02:52:33 PM »

Please elaborate!!!  Just what sounds jacked up????  There are lots of horses out there that will never be a 15 or 16 second horse and will never have a chance at these bigger barrel races.  If you have faster horses then you won't bother to show up at these races!

Downthealley

« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2007, 02:55:27 PM »

I understand your concept but (and please dont take this tacky) why would anyone want to run in the 6+ D's for the rest of the horses career? If the horse cant better itself then it doesnt need to be running anymore (IMHO) \

guess if this new association came about .. I could drag up every horse I own and lope a pattern and win money

Offline Gabe's Babe

• Defender of The Bored!!! Wait, Board???
  • Charter Member
  • Demi-God
    • Rachael's Equine Services
« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2007, 02:58:14 PM »
OK, I think the better route would be to start a Novice Barrel Association that runs a 4-5D format. The horse has to be under say $1000 to run in that class. Most Novice Barrel Racing Associations still run a flat time race. However, Some NBHA's and other peeps are running a Novice Class with 3D. But, I have not seen a Novice class with a 4or 5D class. That would have been nice!!! Anyhow, I have young ones, and I would appreciate someone starting a novice horse group.... :see-ya:

Offline canchasinroper

• Veteran Member
  • Whoa d@#%it!
« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2007, 03:00:57 PM »

Please elaborate!!!  Just what sounds jacked up????  There are lots of horses out there that will never be a 15 or 16 second horse and will never have a chance at these bigger barrel races.  If you have faster horses then you won't bother to show up at these races!

And what about novice racers (ie: me!), who have plenty of horse, but no confidence in themselves to run faster...  Slow consistency produces speed.  I am slow, but consistent, but right now I lack the confidence to really hussle like I know I can.  Know what I mean?   I am all about helping the novice, beginner, kids, etc win stuff, because winning also helps boost confidence and helps push you to want to win more.  Just my opinion, of course.

Offline Bob Gould

• Tamet's Husband
  • Administrator
  • Super Hero
    • Texas Rustic Elegance
« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2007, 03:03:28 PM »
The problem with novice groups are the cheaters. People say they haven't won when they have. Ask Kathy Thornton of the ANHA. She finally quit doing it because of that.
This came to me while chopping wood the other day. You've heard don't sweat the small stuff. I say save it for later and use it for kindling

Offline canchasinroper

• Veteran Member
  • Whoa d@#%it!
« Reply #14 on: December 04, 2007, 03:07:24 PM »
The problem with novice groups are the cheaters. People say they haven't won when they have. Ask Kathy Thornton of the ANHA. She finally quit doing it because of that.

Well that's true too, but the association ought to have the authority not to award prizes if they deem that person/horse is not really a "novice".  That's how we do it in roping, anyways. LOL  If you are a "novice", and pull a 6 second run.. you are *NOT* a novice roper in the eyes of the authorities, and you will forfeit your prizes if you win.  It's that way nearly everywhere in the roping industry.

My first novice race, most were running in the 18's.. then WHAM, out of nowhere, comes a 16 sec run.  Where's the novice in that???