Event Info Click Here

Online Entries are Open
Printable Entry Form
Event Info Click Here

Online Entries Open April 14
Event Info Click Here

Online Entries are Open

Poll

Would anyone be interested in an association where the winning time starts at 17 flat?

HECK YEAH
9 (16.4%)
NO WAY
28 (50.9%)
WOULD CONSIDER
18 (32.7%)

Total Members Voted: 49

Author Topic: New Barrel Association  (Read 13552 times)

Offline Aunt B

• Elite Member
  • Ebarrelracing.com rocks
Re: New Barrel Association
« Reply #135 on: December 08, 2007, 06:57:10 PM »
Ellie - PM me your regular email addy and I'll send you a spreadsheet I worked up off the Magnolia's Classic we just ran.  I did it two way.  One on the equal percentage and number of horse ran on a 5d.  Then based on horse per D in a 6D format which I think is what you were getting at as it gives more place in the lower D based on the volume.  Dang took me a while to figure that one...lol  and I went strictly off NBHA's percentage and number of places to pay per horses entered.  That could be adjusted.  It actually paid another hole than Magnolia did.
Don't tell God how big the storm is, tell the storm how big God is.....

Offline canchasin Cindy

• Mega Member
  • Ride hard and believe in yourself.
« Reply #136 on: December 08, 2007, 08:49:28 PM »
That's a pretty dandy solution. It would be interesting to try it. Keep up the good work Aunt B and best of luck with this EM2u2.  This could be the start of something beneficial to the D formats! Has any association ever tried it this way?
"life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "Holy @#!%, what a ride!" Mavis Leyrer age 83

Offline lauraSchumann

• pay attention you might learn somethin'...
  • Global Moderator
  • Super Hero
  • It is what it is...
« Reply #137 on: December 09, 2007, 09:13:31 AM »
i CAN understand what you are trying to do, but you would have better luck with it this way.
Knowing what a fast time in that arena is(which let's say for argument's sake is a 15.1)--have a regular barrel race 4 or 5D whichever and then have a sidepot incentive race which you could enter for $15 or something like that that would start with the horse that runs 2 seconds back.  Basically it would just be a second barrel race and they could either carry their time from the first or run again on the $15 to make enough to have another pot for the slower horses. A horse could ONLY enter the incentive race if you wanted also. If a horse runs faster than the 17.1 lets say, then that horse's money just goes into the pot.  Start your barrel racing association and get them co-approved with another association if you'd like, and keep your points let's say for year end if that is what your looking at only on the horse that enter that particular sidepot incentive for the season.  I think what you are trying to accomplish is a very nice thing for some and it could be done if handled right.  The association could even put some added money in there for that particular incentive if you'd like.  I think the girls with the 1/2 D horses will stay out of your way on this---I surely wouldn't hold my horse back to win an extra hundred.
I don't think you can run barrels without wanting to improve your time or your horse or there is no pride in what you are trying to accomplish with your animal.  The point is to get better of course.  Since most of the barrel races i go to are paid on percentage and not equal payout, this might give the slower horses a way to earn alittle more money, have their own barrel race and run against the faster horses so you can see improvement.  Just an idea....and not a well thought out one on my part as I just whupped this together and I haven't had a cup of coffee yet! roflmao
« Last Edit: December 09, 2007, 09:24:42 AM by lauraschumann »
If you reach the bottom of a barrel, find another barrel.
~answering your questions on trainers corner~

Offline swiftstraw

• Dinosaur!
« Reply #138 on: December 09, 2007, 12:07:45 PM »
Sorry, but I'm just gonna put my big girl panties on, get on my $1,000 horse, and continue to try to get better.  I am thankful for what we already have, and that is plenty.

hardtimeshorses

« Reply #139 on: December 09, 2007, 12:27:48 PM »
I kindof understand why you are interestested in starting this kind of association but I don't see it working (JMO).  I know personally I wouldn't come to something like that but I do think that there are a lot of people that would.

I do want to offer you encouragement on your horse because I get the feeling that you may feel that your $1000 dollar horse is not capable of competing with the $10-$15000+ horses.  It doesnt matter how much you pay for your horse, every horse I own and have ever ridden has been bought cheap because they were a deal or had issues that their owners didn't want to deal with anymore.  Yes, one of my geldings is really green and has a lot more to offer but I only gave $600 for him and I took him to Augusta to the NBHA World and I left with the 4D title on him.

Good luck, keep going and don't give up.

needforspeed

« Reply #140 on: December 09, 2007, 12:58:43 PM »
elliemae,

Think about this, go find a place to run what you are after, run ads in the papers and put out flyers and you will find out that this will actual work!  You will still have the neg. feedback from the 1 and 2-d whinners, but so what!  You will not make all of them happy anyway, even if you had a regular 4 or 5-d race and offer something for the slower horses like they are telling you.  Then they will whine because you did not offer anything for the faster horses! :!

It looks like you would have enough support from what I have seen on this forum. :)/\\  And most of the gals are not even around your area.   

Keep you chin up and don't let the trashing get you down.  They are doing that becasue you are taking money out of there pocket.  Correct me if I am wrong, but it looks like you are after a local jackpot type of race to see how it will work out and they still don't understand that part of it!

GOOD LUCK! :see-ya:

Offline swiftstraw

• Dinosaur!
« Reply #141 on: December 09, 2007, 01:57:34 PM »
Yep, it is a good idea, and there were a lot more good ideas mentioned here as well!
I enjoyed the extra that Lonestar Finals had.  Each person wrote down the time they thought they would run, and the rider who came closest won a prize!  I wish all big races would offer that.  It was a fun plus.
Exhibitions are so popular in this part of Texas, you could probably have 8 hours of exhibitions and have the gamble race (placing a bet on your time) after that! :TIGGER:

Offline thamesranch

• Jackass Hunter
  • Mega Member
« Reply #142 on: December 10, 2007, 10:27:35 AM »
elliemae,

Think about this, go find a place to run what you are after, run ads in the papers and put out flyers and you will find out that this will actual work!  You will still have the neg. feedback from the 1 and 2-d whinners, but so what!  You will not make all of them happy anyway, even if you had a regular 4 or 5-d race and offer something for the slower horses like they are telling you.  Then they will whine because you did not offer anything for the faster horses! :!

It looks like you would have enough support from what I have seen on this forum. :)/\\  And most of the gals are not even around your area.   

Keep you chin up and don't let the trashing get you down.  They are doing that becasue you are taking money out of there pocket.  Correct me if I am wrong, but it looks like you are after a local jackpot type of race to see how it will work out and they still don't understand that part of it!

I actually don't know any "whinners" in the 1D.......
Do it right, or get off the Horse.

Offline DOHorsewmn

• Elite Member
  • Finishing a GREAT DAY!
« Reply #143 on: December 10, 2007, 11:10:08 AM »
LOL!   :ROFL2:  :ROFL2:  :ROFL2:  :ROFL2:
Punctuality is the virtue of the bored.
  - Evelyn Waugh
"Only a man's character is the real criteron of worth"  Eleanor Roosevelt

Offline DOHorsewmn

• Elite Member
  • Finishing a GREAT DAY!
« Reply #144 on: December 10, 2007, 11:30:57 AM »
 :ROFL2: :ROFL2: :ROFL2: :ROFL2: :ROFL2:
Punctuality is the virtue of the bored.
  - Evelyn Waugh
"Only a man's character is the real criteron of worth"  Eleanor Roosevelt

Offline NO RULES HERE

• Novice Member
« Reply #145 on: December 11, 2007, 05:16:45 PM »
elliemae,

I actually don't know any "whinners" in the 1D.......

MOST OF THEM!  THAT WAS EASY! roflmao

Offline NO RULES HERE

• Novice Member
« Reply #146 on: December 11, 2007, 05:19:14 PM »
Most races we go too big or small, the faster runners always B-word about something!  ie: ground, slower horse taking too much time, the list goes on and on! :!