Event Info Click Here

Online Entries are Open
Printable Entry Form
Event Info Click Here

Online Entries Open April 14
Event Info Click Here

Online Entries are Open

Poll

Would anyone be interested in an association where the winning time starts at 17 flat?

HECK YEAH
9 (16.4%)
NO WAY
28 (50.9%)
WOULD CONSIDER
18 (32.7%)

Total Members Voted: 49

Author Topic: New Barrel Association  (Read 13555 times)

Offline elliemae2u2

Re: New Barrel Association
« Reply #15 on: December 04, 2007, 03:07:55 PM »

I understand your concept but (and please dont take this tacky) why would anyone want to run in the 6+ D's for the rest of the horses career? If the horse cant better itself then it doesnt need to be running anymore (IMHO) \

guess if this new association came about .. I could drag up every horse I own and lope a pattern and win money

Not taking anything out of context!  Just looking for opinions and I appreciate your feedback.  This assocation would not really be for the "hard core" gals out there with the faster horses or horses with more potential.  Most of us don't have the luxury of "trading up" if our horses can't run faster than 17's.  And some of us would still like to run barrels!  And please don't take this as being tacky, but the same rules would apply as NBHA as in "you have to attempt to make the fastest run possible".  Loping the pattern is not attemping to make the fastest run possible!  My thought was to have an association for the ones out there who want to run barrels but can't compete with the big dogs, so to speak.  I for one would like to keep running on my horse but don't want to keep donating my money!

Offline lilqhgal

• Cowgirl Expressions
    • Cowgirl Expressions
« Reply #16 on: December 04, 2007, 03:12:27 PM »
 >SHOCKED< How are you going to inforce pattern specifications in different areanas?  I know that there's a standard pattern but when the pen is smaller the pattern shrinks, therefore so does the time.  I ran in a rodeo one year where the winning time was in the high TWELVES!  Talk a bout a small pattern.  But just because you're horse is a 17+ second horse, if you run in a smaller pattern, he might run a faster time.  Then you're out of your own association!
Ramsey

Offline lilqhgal

• Cowgirl Expressions
    • Cowgirl Expressions
« Reply #17 on: December 04, 2007, 03:14:36 PM »
To me, Novice should be someone who isn't professional.  But like others have said, how do you enforce that.  There are always cheaters.  And barrels isn't like roping or reining in that we get POINTS for our run based on someone's judgment. So how do you enforce that.
Ramsey

Offline elliemae2u2

« Reply #18 on: December 04, 2007, 03:16:22 PM »
Ok...we are kinda getting off base here a little from my original thoughts.  While novice's would certainly be welcome the goal here was to have an assocation for the horses and/or riders that will probably never get any faster.  While I'm far from a novice rider or barrel racer I don't think my horse will ever get out of the 17 second runs.  Some of you might ask, then why bother to keep running this horse.  Well...because I enjoy running barrels and so does this horse and I don't have the means to go out and get a faster horse.  Does that mean I should stop running this horse???  We have won some $$ at local jackpots in the 3 or 4D but just don't have a chance at the bigger races.  Some of you might say..well quit going to the bigger races, I have!  But I still want some place to run this horse and just thought others out there might feel the same!!!

Offline canchasinroper

• Veteran Member
  • Whoa d@#%it!
« Reply #19 on: December 04, 2007, 03:18:47 PM »
To me, Novice should be someone who isn't professional.  But like others have said, how do you enforce that.  There are always cheaters.  And barrels isn't like roping or reining in that we get POINTS for our run based on someone's judgment. So how do you enforce that.

Reining gets points based on judgement, roping gets time... According to the USTRC, a "beginner" is someone who can barely walk and chew gum at the same time. LOL  A novice is someone who can put together a good run from time to time, but is missing general mechanics and consistency, and still struggles with issues...

Offline elliemae2u2

« Reply #20 on: December 04, 2007, 03:23:37 PM »
>SHOCKED< How are you going to inforce pattern specifications in different areanas?  I know that there's a standard pattern but when the pen is smaller the pattern shrinks, therefore so does the time.  I ran in a rodeo one year where the winning time was in the high TWELVES!  Talk a bout a small pattern.  But just because you're horse is a 17+ second horse, if you run in a smaller pattern, he might run a faster time.  Then you're out of your own association!

This is the kind of feedback I'm looking for also!  THANKS!!!  This is certainly something that would have to be addressed and worked out if the assocation came to be.  Just off the top of my head I would say you would have to stick to arenas that would accomodate the standard pattern.  Or come up with other ideas!

Offline elliemae2u2

« Reply #21 on: December 04, 2007, 03:25:53 PM »
The problem with novice groups are the cheaters. People say they haven't won when they have. Ask Kathy Thornton of the ANHA. She finally quit doing it because of that.

Someone would have to be diligent in checking results.  I'm probably being naive, but I would hope there were more people out there that wouldn't cheat and the ones that did would hopefully get caught.  I know right...in a perfect world!

Downthealley

« Reply #22 on: December 04, 2007, 03:26:20 PM »

just thinkin out loud here .. and I think you are in north texas since you posted on the salt creek arena thread .. but if not, then I apologize for assuming

but I think Diamond W is the only arena that can handle a standard pattern ... maybe Stephenville or Graham?

Offline elliemae2u2

« Reply #23 on: December 04, 2007, 03:28:19 PM »
The problem with novice groups are the cheaters. People say they haven't won when they have. Ask Kathy Thornton of the ANHA. She finally quit doing it because of that.

Well that's true too, but the association ought to have the authority not to award prizes if they deem that person/horse is not really a "novice".  That's how we do it in roping, anyways. LOL  If you are a "novice", and pull a 6 second run.. you are *NOT* a novice roper in the eyes of the authorities, and you will forfeit your prizes if you win.  It's that way nearly everywhere in the roping industry.

My first novice race, most were running in the 18's.. then WHAM, out of nowhere, comes a 16 sec run.  Where's the novice in that???

A 16 second run wouldn't qualify in a 17 second or better assocation!  And the powers that be will have to be "stong" enough to call out the ones that do not appear to be attempting to make the fastest run. 

Offline elliemae2u2

« Reply #24 on: December 04, 2007, 03:34:16 PM »

just thinkin out loud here .. and I think you are in north texas since you posted on the salt creek arena thread .. but if not, then I apologize for assuming

but I think Diamond W is the only arena that can handle a standard pattern ... maybe Stephenville or Graham?

You are correct!  Even if there were arena's that can't handle a standard pattern I think most of them could come close, I could be wrong!  But if you go out there and looks at the places that posts results you will see a bunch of horses running 17 or better that aren't even close enough to get a whiff at winning.  Even Salt Creek has a good number of horses running in the 17's. This is why I posted the poll....getting ideas & opinions from everyone. 

Offline canchasinroper

• Veteran Member
  • Whoa d@#%it!
« Reply #25 on: December 04, 2007, 03:37:10 PM »

Well that's true too, but the association ought to have the authority not to award prizes if they deem that person/horse is not really a "novice".  That's how we do it in roping, anyways. LOL  If you are a "novice", and pull a 6 second run.. you are *NOT* a novice roper in the eyes of the authorities, and you will forfeit your prizes if you win.  It's that way nearly everywhere in the roping industry.

My first novice race, most were running in the 18's.. then WHAM, out of nowhere, comes a 16 sec run.  Where's the novice in that???

A 16 second run wouldn't qualify in a 17 second or better assocation!  And the powers that be will have to be "stong" enough to call out the ones that do not appear to be attempting to make the fastest run. 

I agree. I think this idea has potential... but lots of bugs to iron out.

Offline Bob Gould

• Tamet's Husband
  • Administrator
  • Super Hero
    • Texas Rustic Elegance
« Reply #26 on: December 04, 2007, 03:38:01 PM »
I know the USBRC did a point system like in roping but it got over whelming.
This came to me while chopping wood the other day. You've heard don't sweat the small stuff. I say save it for later and use it for kindling

Offline thamesranch

• Jackass Hunter
  • Mega Member
« Reply #27 on: December 04, 2007, 03:42:16 PM »
okay- that sounds jacked up!

Please elaborate!!!  Just what sounds jacked up????  There are lots of horses out there that will never be a 15 or 16 second horse and will never have a chance at these bigger barrel races.  If you have faster horses then you won't bother to show up at these races!

Simply, it depends on the size of the pen and pattern.......The bigger the pen/pattern the longer the time, and the smaller the quicker. 
And HOW would determine who gets to run?  You cannot NOT let the fastest time win. 
If I ran a 16.999 and didn't get the money I'd pretty darn upset.
Do it right, or get off the Horse.

Offline canchasinroper

• Veteran Member
  • Whoa d@#%it!
« Reply #28 on: December 04, 2007, 03:46:25 PM »
This theory kinda reminds me of "bracket racing" street cars......where if you "bust out" of your bracket, you are DQ'd.

Offline lilqhgal

• Cowgirl Expressions
    • Cowgirl Expressions
« Reply #29 on: December 04, 2007, 03:49:17 PM »
Thats the thing tho... if you're starting a new association, the goal would be to get as many places as you could to hold shows for you, and if you restrict it right off the top by arena size, you alienate half or more of your potential clients.  That's where the novice thing comes into play, because if you've lost some of your potential avenues based on arena size, you need to figure out a different way to base your guidelines on. 
Ramsey