Event Info Click Here

Online Entries are Open
Printable Entry Form
Event Info Click Here

Online Entries Open April 14
Event Info Click Here

Online Entries are Open

Poll

Would anyone be interested in an association where the winning time starts at 17 flat?

HECK YEAH
9 (16.4%)
NO WAY
28 (50.9%)
WOULD CONSIDER
18 (32.7%)

Total Members Voted: 49

Author Topic: New Barrel Association  (Read 13551 times)

Offline memphis

• Mega Member
  • Ebarrelracing.com rocks
Re: New Barrel Association
« Reply #60 on: December 04, 2007, 07:01:42 PM »
Ok I'm going to jump in here cause I can see both sides of this.  I've mostly had 3 & 4D horses......flat a$$ awesome patterns, automatic to the hilt.....but not a 1 or 2 D horse and never would be.  I look at it like this....I've seen tons of 1-D horses that make absolutely crappy runs but win money.....then you have those that make beautiful patterns but just don't have that extra speed.....

I've trained and owned several that just didn't have the speed to compete but made great kids or beginners or even playday horses because they were so perfectly patterned and made awesome pretty runs.....Martha always said....make your horse the best he can be....if he doesn't work for you sell him, he'll make a great horse for someone else.....I never used to believe this until I sold the best one I ever had.

Now back on track....it's like basically asking to keep putting 1/2 seconds in these D barrel races so everyone can place somewhere.  That's why the 3D turned into a 4D so those that whinned that they were falling in the cracks could place.  And now there's 5D and 6D....but they're 1/2 second splits....why not just have a barrelrace with ALL 1 second splits....and make it a 4 or 5 D and there you go...those 17 second horses would place....but then you'd have someone complain that they fell half way in the middle od some D.  I say RUN FOR THE FUN OF IT....

Offline lilbit

• Bittie Master of Mischievous
  • Posse Member
  • Fossil
    • http://www.myspace.com/txcanchaser74
« Reply #61 on: December 04, 2007, 07:06:22 PM »
I guess the saying turn and burn would not be a motto for this assocation!!
Stefanie Medland

Offline Woodys Mama

• Dinosaur!
  • Woody Rock'n & Roll'n
« Reply #62 on: December 04, 2007, 07:11:24 PM »
I would most definatley stay away from anything that has to be judged
and it doesnt have to be a "17 second" association...you can take the times from the other races held at that facilty and start at the 4d and go from there...like Buna runs15.9 and slower so for that arena you would start at 17.5 or 18.flat
orange runs 17s for open horses so start at a 19 or 20 there
I have a horse that is running in the "6d" right now....but he needs to be hauled...one day he will be an open horse...I know he is capable....but I would like to now that I could go haul somewhere and have  a shot a winning something on him right now. My other horse is a slowpoke but he is a blast to run.He has been a consistent 4d and the last show I took him to he was in the bottom of the 2d!!!! so if I had "retired" him I would have never known his capabilities!!
Live life like you were dying, let the people and animals CLOSE to you know you love them!!!

Offline lilbit

• Posse Member
  • Fossil
« Reply #63 on: December 04, 2007, 07:12:02 PM »
1. an open 5 or 6 d with full second splits

So the last "d" would be 6 seconds off the fastest time???
that means a 20 would be in the money... Which in a normal run go to the 1st barrel stop wave high!! Go to the 2nd get a drink and then on the 3rd barrel take a drag off a cigarette...

That does not sound like a good barrel race to me and should not be in the money...

But that is MY OPIOION!!!! DONT BASH ME!!

Stefanie Medland

Offline Woodys Mama

• Dinosaur!
  • Woody Rock'n & Roll'n
« Reply #64 on: December 04, 2007, 07:17:04 PM »
yes it would be that way for the open people. but the NBHA started out catering to those slower horses...it got changed like stated in another comment on this thread....but please remember this is for the people who just cant make it for whatever reason.... money, skill, disability or whatever...a place where people can go pay money and have a chance at winning something nice not just a ribbon...I would totally support an association like this or that provided a CLASS for these people
Live life like you were dying, let the people and animals CLOSE to you know you love them!!!

Offline memphis

• Mega Member
« Reply #65 on: December 04, 2007, 07:19:46 PM »
Ok here I go again....1. Kids can't run in the open. 2. Over 50 has their own class that they actually run in.  3.  Beginners and slow horses have their own class. 4.  And then a free for all race that anyone can enter and may the fastest horse WIN.
Now that would be a barrel race.  Or how about this...I thought of this a long time ago....why not a 2 member team barrel race where 2 people both pay the entry fee. You run a regular open....you pick who you want to team with and then add the times together and the fastest team wins.....that could be a cool incentive race.  
The point is ....you can go on and on in trying to come up with more ways for people to win.....I too wish there was a venue for the slower but good horses....but there just doesn't seem to be....the best you can do is go to those 2 day average barrel races and even if you don't win money each run...if consistent I've seen people win the saddles for their consistency even when they placed like a 4th or 5th both runs, just because they had good clean runs and didn't knock....

Offline lilbit

• Posse Member
  • Fossil
« Reply #66 on: December 04, 2007, 07:26:48 PM »
the best you can do is go to those 2 day average barrel races and even if you don't win money each run...if consistent I've seen people win the saddles for their consistency even when they placed like a 4th or 5th both runs, just because they had good clean runs and didn't knock....
[/quote]

That is the best statement on this thread!!

Everyone likes to win money but you have to learn that there is going to have to be LOSERS TOO!!
Stefanie Medland

Offline rodeodelux

• Elite Member
« Reply #67 on: December 04, 2007, 07:52:59 PM »
If you go to the WBR finals results, you'll see the "slower" horses have just as much of a chance to win money as the 2-d horses. The horse that have the most competion are the 3 and 4d horses. We've decided if we go to another one of these huge races (which we have a BLAST at) we will take at least one "slow" horse. Here's how many placed in each D. 1d- 37 horses, 2d-251 horses, 3d-424 horses, 4d-417 horses, 5d-247 horses, 6d-267 horses. I wish you the best of luck with your new venture, but I just wanted to let you know, if you didn't enter the big shows because you didn't think you have a chance, you might want to reconsider. >PEACE<

Offline memphis

• Mega Member
« Reply #68 on: December 04, 2007, 08:21:47 PM »
Right and that comes to 2-1/2 seconds off the fastest time.....plus usually 15 places down pays...much slower than that and I'm not sure I'd be entering anywhere just yet or I'd start feeding redcell...alfalfa, vitamins, anything to get some fire under them.  rofl

Offline Aunt B

• Elite Member
« Reply #69 on: December 04, 2007, 08:33:25 PM »
If you go to the WBR finals results, you'll see the "slower" horses have just as much of a chance to win money as the 2-d horses. The horse that have the most competion are the 3 and 4d horses. We've decided if we go to another one of these huge races (which we have a BLAST at) we will take at least one "slow" horse. Here's how many placed in each D. 1d- 37 horses, 2d-251 horses, 3d-424 horses, 4d-417 horses, 5d-247 horses, 6d-267 horses. I wish you the best of luck with your new venture, but I just wanted to let you know, if you didn't enter the big shows because you didn't think you have a chance, you might want to reconsider. >PEACE<

With those stats - if you are truly wanting to start a new association to cater to the "slower horses".  Why not have a regular D race and pay according to how many horse where in that "D".  37 horses in 1D would pay 3 places, 251 horses in the 2D would pay 12 places (or more), 424 horses in the D would pay 25 places or more, etc etc.  Or after you got the Fastest time and divided like a "D" like a regular barrel race - take the 2D and divide in .25 sec (17.0, 17.25,17.5) and pay out the number of places for that amount of horses.  Slower horses get more chances of winning and why does the 1D care how the lower D's pay out?  After all there is only 37 that they ran against.  Just my thought on it.
Don't tell God how big the storm is, tell the storm how big God is.....

Offline memphis

• Mega Member
« Reply #70 on: December 04, 2007, 08:40:41 PM »
Aunt B.....now that's the best idea I've heard yet.....especially since most of the entry fees are in those lower D's.....they should pay more places.... <ROCKON> :)/\\ :TIGGER: 8)

Offline NO RULES HERE

• Novice Member
« Reply #71 on: December 04, 2007, 09:02:36 PM »
First, I totally agree with elliemae on some type of deal like this..  I have a Horse that puts 100% on the line every single run and pretty as a picture but has only been low 17's and a few high 16's!  But this horse does it all, she heads, heels, works cows, trail rides and you can still put a younger person on her and I have turn down 10-k for her!  But she just can not run with 15 second horses and I know she never will.
Second, I also agree with the last 2 post, something like this would also work, but you would still have the 37 1-d runners whinning because that is taking money from them. 

Yes, we love to run and have fun doing it, but like going to the High School Rodeos, you have girls trying there best on nice horses but only running in the 17's and 18's, then you have the ones with deep pocket parnets buying 20 and 30-k horses running 15 and 16's!

No how can that be fun???

Offline DOHorsewmn

• Elite Member
  • Finishing a GREAT DAY!
« Reply #72 on: December 04, 2007, 09:05:08 PM »
I agree pay more places in the lower D's as there are more entries in those D's.  I'd say 10 chances to place out of 424 is not real good odds compared to 10 out of 37 chances in 1D.  And what do they say go with the majority well the majority is the 3D looks like huh?
Just a thought!
Punctuality is the virtue of the bored.
  - Evelyn Waugh
"Only a man's character is the real criteron of worth"  Eleanor Roosevelt

Offline NO RULES HERE

• Novice Member
« Reply #73 on: December 04, 2007, 09:11:33 PM »

so whats the incentive in bettering myself or my horse?  :((((

I notice most of the replies on here is from 15 and 16 second runners and it SHOWS!  The incentive here is for all the poeple who run in the 17 second PLUS range!  So if you have a horse just starting out and he is running 18 and 19's, there is you incentive!  RUN a 17 and win more!  SIMPLE!

The only other thing to make it fair for people that can not spend 20 and 30-k for a horse would be pay the winnings back backwards!   1-d always win more money, so turn it around and pay the 4 or 5 d horse more money!  THIS SHOULD SPARK SOME INTEREST! :TIGGER:

Offline Woodys Mama

• Dinosaur!
  • Woody Rock'n & Roll'n
« Reply #74 on: December 04, 2007, 09:26:59 PM »
i like it and I am with you there!! All of my horses are ranch geldings that we team rope on,work cows,pick up at rodeos,ranch rodeo,ranch sort,playday...what freakin ever we want to do!!!! They are usually respected in whatever arena we put them in due to the versatility and athletic abilty that our horses have( i am NOT bragging).I cant afford a heading horse and a heeling horse and so on....they have to do it all if they are at my house eating my feed!! I wont even get started on what I pay for them and then what I turn down for them. Lord knows I have NEVER placed in the 1d and the only time I placed in 2d was way back when NBHA started the "old 3d"...lets get this thing started!!