8am - 6pm
Event Info Click Here

Online Entries are Open
Printable Entry Form
Event Info Click Here

Online Entries Open April 14
Event Info Click Here

Online Entries are Open

Author Topic: getting into barrel racing  (Read 3935 times)

Offline joeygi

• Novice Member
getting into barrel racing
« on: December 11, 2007, 06:03:55 PM »
how much to will need to be spent training a horse

Offline lauraSchumann

• pay attention you might learn somethin'...
  • Global Moderator
  • Super Hero
  • It is what it is...
Re: getting into barrel racing
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2008, 12:20:44 AM »
I know this is an extremely old question of which the poster is probably no where in sight, but it is
such a commonly asked question I felt the need to answer it.  This is a very common question I am asked
at least once a week.

Training fees on horses vary so much from trainer to trainer.  And fees vary on the type of training that is done.
Since my time is very limited, I personally do not start many of my own colts any longer doing the roundpen work,
getting them saddle broke with a good basic foundation to ride...I send my colts to a friend who charges
$600 per month as an example.  Price ranges start generally around $500 and can go as high as $750 per month
depending on who is doing your breaking.  There are alot of highly qualified people out there who do just as good
a job at $500 as those at a higher price....and for different reasons they choose to charge less.
Barrel training rates generally start about $550 per month and climb as high as $800 per month as well.
The main thing is to ask questions, talk to the trainer you are thinking of using, and make sure his/her ideals about
educating your horse are the same ideals that you personally have.  Be sure and ask for references.  Just because
someone has a huge list of creditials in the win circle does not ideally make them the best person for your horse.
There are many little known trainers who do an exceptional job. Talk to people who have taken horses to this trainer, find
out if they liked those results, and use that info to help you make your decision.  Look for the person who you communicate
well with, and someone you feel you can trust with your investment as well.  Good luck in your search for a trainer!!
Laura Schumann
Laura's Ladder to Success Barrel Clinics
"I Believe" Tour 2009
If you reach the bottom of a barrel, find another barrel.
~answering your questions on trainers corner~