8am - 6pm
Event Info Click Here

Online Entries are Open
Printable Entry Form
Event Info Click Here

Online Entries Open April 14
Event Info Click Here

Online Entries are Open

Author Topic: How Can I get Ruger to Drink More Water???  (Read 9152 times)

Offline Gabe's Babe

• Defender of The Bored!!! Wait, Board???
  • Charter Member
  • Demi-God
    • Rachael's Equine Services
Re: Ruger Stopped Eating This Morning.....Sigh....
« Reply #30 on: December 23, 2007, 10:54:16 AM »
Ruger is full blooded Queensland Heeler....aka blue heeler. I have a carbon copy too but he is just about 15 pound shy of Ruger and Only about 7 months old!!! Jeff is getting ready to head to the store for the chicken and rice. Guys, My vet is out and i dont know what to do....should i discontinue the anti fungal meds??? He said that would be the one that is the hardest on the kidneys. He is also on a sulfa antibiotic.  :-\\\\\\\\

Offline lauraSchumann

• pay attention you might learn somethin'...
  • Global Moderator
  • Super Hero
  • It is what it is...
« Reply #31 on: December 23, 2007, 11:13:33 AM »
When I get back from shopping, I'll try to take a picture of "Demon" and I'll show you what a blue heeler and a jack russell cross looks like....LOL.  Looks like a mini heeler that is black/white.  Odd but true.  He is a lap dog and was a total accident but cute!
If you reach the bottom of a barrel, find another barrel.
~answering your questions on trainers corner~

Offline Gabe's Babe

• Charter Member
  • Demi-God
« Reply #32 on: December 23, 2007, 11:24:32 AM »
That would be a cool cross!!! Colt was an accident....Well, i went to a barrel race when Jeff was in Mississippi and saw him. He looked so much like Ruger that it really tugged on my heart strings. That was before he got sick. Colt 45 had mange and ate rat posion (it was under the couch...big dogs could not find it) with in the first week of owning him...well, he was free cause the family had 2 litters to sell. I fell in love with the chunky monkey and the owner told me to just take him cause he was eating them outta house and home. lol so, I called Jeff and said that Ruger wont be around forever and I just could not resist....Right now i am eating my words cause that is when Ruger went on the dwon hill slide. i am glad that Ruger got a chance to Teach Colt some manners and pass on some good behavior to the little turd!!!

Offline Gabe's Babe

• Charter Member
  • Demi-God
« Reply #33 on: December 23, 2007, 12:13:42 PM »
Ruger just went out and puked up last nights dinner. No blood....But, the food was not even digested....Chicken and Rice is cooking now....We got brown rice and leg quarters. I am gonna cook the chicken all the way down right??? Until it falls off the bone??? Then i will pull it and let the bones continue to cook until they dissolve. Right??? That would make a good broth!!!  >DOH< :I am Worried: :I am Worried: :I am Worried: :I am Worried: :I am Worried: :I am Worried: :I am Worried:

Offline Gabe's Babe

• Charter Member
  • Demi-God
« Reply #34 on: December 23, 2007, 12:23:55 PM »
Good. 3horses, are you the one that nursed your dog through renal failure??? Some did... I am so scattered right now, I cant remember.
He is really acting like he hurts now. The vet described him as being loyal so loyal that he does not want to show pain cause he doesnt want me to cry.... >SNIFF< >SNIFF< >SNIFF< >SNIFF< >SNIFF< >SNIFF< >SNIFF<

Offline DOHorsewmn

• Elite Member
  • Finishing a GREAT DAY!
« Reply #35 on: December 23, 2007, 12:27:45 PM »
Rachel - it is going to be your call about the sulfa antibiotics and anti-fungal meds.  I always say determine if something they are taking is causing more harm than good and make your decision from there. 
Punctuality is the virtue of the bored.
  - Evelyn Waugh
"Only a man's character is the real criteron of worth"  Eleanor Roosevelt

Offline Gabe's Babe

• Charter Member
  • Demi-God
« Reply #36 on: December 23, 2007, 12:46:13 PM »
Well, we know that the anti fungal meds Ketoconazal (sp) causes renal failure if they have been on it for more than 10 days. Ruger has been on it for 20 days now....He has really bad gas and very loose stool too. He flat out refused to eat this morning and he NEVER refuses a meal. He has been under foot all day too. He is wheezing really bad. His nose is oozing green stuff. That might not be a bad thing cause the slime is coming out! My nose is oozing too!!! Anyhow, thank you guys for the prayers.
3Horses, sorry to hear about your pup! That is really sad. Why did he shoot her???

Offline Gabe's Babe

• Charter Member
  • Demi-God
« Reply #37 on: December 23, 2007, 01:10:20 PM »
Ruger still has a lot of fight to him. This darn bacterial/ fungal infection is not the worst thing he has ever fought. He got kicked HARD by a paint horse and was thrown 16 feet and hit a post before he hit the ground. He ended up in the hospital for 2 weeks during Christmas with a steroid IV drip. They told me that i would have to keep him quiet for 6 months...He was only a year old....Well, he started off fine in the kennel then he learned how to bust open the gate...that was NOT good for a Dog with an inflamed disk in his neck. So, i faced the kennel to the wall and tied it shut....he then would move the kennel across the room to the bed and pulled my quilt into the kennel through the holes and teared it up lol Finally I gave in and let him loose in the house. He then began to work on the couch. He had never done anything like this before. I came home to stuffing everywhere!!!  <DUMMY ME> <DUMMY ME> So, i decided to put him outside tied up......There was NO WAY to keep him tied!!! He slipped every collar, harness, even a horse halter. So, we just went back to normal life. He mad a full recovery and now has some arthritis, but, i have him on Glyco-flex and it really helps him a bunch.
He is one tough cookie and very loyal. he hates to see me cry. But, right now, i cant help but let the flood come down. He is not ready to go see God yet. No, not ready...... >SNIFF< >SNIFF< >SNIFF< >SNIFF< >SNIFF<

Offline melaself

• Global Moderator
  • Fossil
  • Ebarrelracing.com rocks
« Reply #38 on: December 23, 2007, 01:35:59 PM »
GB, Ruger is puking because the renal failure makes him nauseated. That's also why he isn't eating. I fed my Corgi Tums when he was in renal failure to settle his stomach and get him eating. The Tums also replace the potassium they need in their system. The vet also told me if I could get him to drink Pedialite for children it would help re-balance his body fluids.

Offline Gabe's Babe

• Charter Member
  • Demi-God
« Reply #39 on: December 23, 2007, 01:41:11 PM »
I have pedialite!!! Thank you!

Offline Gabe's Babe

• Charter Member
  • Demi-God
« Reply #40 on: December 23, 2007, 02:07:33 PM »
YAY! He is eating rice with broth on it!!! The chicken is still cooking down. I have it in the crock pot. I figured that way I could leave it un-attended while i take Ruger out to check fences. How long does it take to make chicken fall off the bone?

Offline gbacres

• Super Hero
« Reply #41 on: December 23, 2007, 02:10:02 PM »
Way to go Ruger!   :TIGGER: :TIGGER:
www.gbacres.fws1.com/index.html

I'd rather be a "has been" than "a never been at all."

Offline Gabe's Babe

• Charter Member
  • Demi-God
« Reply #42 on: December 23, 2007, 02:17:29 PM »
I think i am going to go saddle Gabe up now and take ruger around the property. You guys think that is a good idea??? I mean, its only 23 acres and all cleared, so, not really a challenging ride. We need to check fences anyway because of the winds last night.

Offline gbacres

• Super Hero
« Reply #43 on: December 23, 2007, 02:18:56 PM »
That's a trail ride.................Have fun............................Catch ya when you come back........................... :see-ya:
www.gbacres.fws1.com/index.html

I'd rather be a "has been" than "a never been at all."

Offline Gabe's Babe

• Charter Member
  • Demi-God
« Reply #44 on: December 23, 2007, 02:21:00 PM »
I sure hope that Ruger can handle it!!! I think it would lift both of our spirits!!! :cheeze: