8am - 6pm
Event Info Click Here

Online Entries are Open
Printable Entry Form
Event Info Click Here

Online Entries Open April 14
Event Info Click Here

Online Entries are Open

Author Topic: 2008 San Antonio Livestock Show $17,000 Added Barrels & Poles  (Read 16969 times)

Offline gbacres

• Super Hero
Re: 2008 San Antonio Livestock Show $17,000 Added Barrels & Poles
« Reply #30 on: January 03, 2008, 04:11:24 PM »
Good Luck to all.  I will be missing this one. 
www.gbacres.fws1.com/index.html

I'd rather be a "has been" than "a never been at all."

Offline josies jockey

• Fossil
  • The WORD works for those who work the WORD!!
« Reply #31 on: January 03, 2008, 06:38:56 PM »
Shelley and Mikey are headed home from the meskin food city!!!  THIS IS GONNA BE AN AWESOME BARREL RACE!!!!!  I am sure updates will be coming very soon......  Gotta get entered!!!! 
Horse Trader Exstrodinare... One of the only people you will ever meet with their own bag of PIXIE DUST...

Offline Shelley Millis

• Mega Member
  • Lindsey & Captain 2009 GCBRA Finals Grand Entry
    • www.starsbarrelandpolehorses.com
« Reply #32 on: January 04, 2008, 11:59:04 AM »
WOW!!!!  We got back from San Antone last night & we are all very excited!!!  :look:  We had a meeting with all of the SALE folks that are heading up the new barrel race/pole bending event for the 2008 San Antonio Livestock Show, these are some great people!!!  They are nothing but polite & concerned about putting on the best possible event for all of us that want to come and participate......so refreshing!  8)

The barrel race will be the absolute very first event for the entire 2008 Show, like if you haul in on Wednesday January 30th at noon, you will be there even before the PRCA rodeo people (they start coming on Thursday).  All of the folks will be fresh and ready to greet all of us barrel racers in!!!  :()&  Make sure you have your health certificate & coggins together at the gate and you should be in good shape. As far as the arena....it is awesome!!!!  It is a small pen & the ground was in GREAT shape yesterday......they have been using the arena all year for mounted patrol practice, so it has been under great maintenance.  Mike B. & myself were very impressed and excited to be involved with the upcoming event!!!! Mike will be bringing the Reveal 4in1 ground tools for the barrel race to ensure that the ground stays consistant throughout the entire event.

The SALE horse show committee will also be providing breakfast, lunch, and drinks to all competitors both days in the hospitality room in the office area by the announcer stand!!!!!! 
Life's battles don't always go to the stronger or faster hand; They go to the one who trusts in God and always thinks "I CAN"!

Offline mrab

• Extreme Member
  • Ebarrelracing.com rocks
« Reply #33 on: January 04, 2008, 01:31:57 PM »
Gee that sounds great and wish it was this next week. <|:)

Offline josies jockey

• Fossil
« Reply #34 on: January 04, 2008, 07:06:07 PM »
Gee that sounds great and wish it was this next week. <|:)

WHAT??    >MEAN<     No not next week!!  Maybe the week after :ROFL2: :ROFL2:
Horse Trader Exstrodinare... One of the only people you will ever meet with their own bag of PIXIE DUST...

Offline rode hard

• Novice Member
Re: HInts for 2008 San Antonio Livestock Show $17,000 Added Barrels & Poles
« Reply #35 on: January 06, 2008, 03:55:18 PM »
 <|:)for those who want to make it a good trip
some hints... please feel free to add any other hints or good deals!
boy scout motto  /// if you have never been to SA before. be prepared! 1.you will arrive  and enter the east entrance and check in w your health certificates and coggins. I know that at some  barrel races they do not check but they do at this one and they get up and look at horses. So be sure to have your stuff if you do not want to get turned away. Also need your vehicle insurance. keep the pink or yellow ticket to show that you checked in... do not lose this or you will not be able to leave with your horses. they will also require you to put stickers on your windshields as this will all identify you so that you must park in areas assigned or you will be towed. This first stop you will have to get out and get your passes and assigned stalls and do all the stickers for truck and trailer. Allow 30 min to ???
 2. then you will  get to move about 100 yards up and start unloading your trailer , horse and everything that you want to have with you. I recommend a tack stall so you can unload and put all of your tack somewhere close by... because it is a looong walk back to the trailer.
 #3 step you will then be asked to move your trailer to a way back parking lot and unhook it. please park nicely as it is very tight and sometimes others cannot get in and out... you could get blocked in so park smart if you want to get out anytime before the parking lot clears and be courteous to me and your friends! you will leave your trailer in this lot, take locks for it if yours does not lock all the way.
#4 then after you unhook your trailer you will be required to take your truck to another parking lot down and around the other side of the stalls. where you can leave your truck in an assigned parking lot and head back to your horse.
so be sure to leave enuf time to do all of this. it could take a while as it depends on the line.
The warm up area is across pavement and traffic so plan accordingly.you are not allowed to ride your horse from the stalls to the warm up area or to the arena. I have seen others accosted while trying to do that. The worker grabbed a ladies horse and made her step off.
wear your tennies,warm layered clothes
pack everything that you need in gear bags or those large rubbermaid chests
make sure to pack smart or it is a long walk back to the trailer.
also take some chairs to sit in front of your horses stall and keep the onlookers from trying to feed them chocolate. or take signs to post if people should not be petting your horse or feeding them or one year I put up the curtains but that seemed to generate more interest... cant guarantee that will work but you can try.
be prepared as there aint a walmart anywhere close by//
if you are coming from out of town to our good city, know that the rodeo attracts a crowd and make sure to secure your valuables. most of the folks are good... but it has people from all over.
it is great that the committee will have some food there as tacos are five bucks and sodas are 3 bucks and beer is five bucks.. it will be a good time to start my diet... ha ha

just wanted you to be prepared... as it was quite a shock the first year that we went... be sure to read all of the general rules and i mean all of them...  eligibility and barrel and ground rules!
when you enter the pen, the alley way is not quite center and when you run out you need to get shut down... so start practicing and  if history repeats itself, it will be cold and wet...  bring your jackets, rubber boots and a good attitude... then have some fun...

Offline josies jockey

• Fossil
« Reply #36 on: January 06, 2008, 07:14:13 PM »
Good Info Rode Hard... but to add..... We will be the VERY FIRST FOLKS THERE!!! So the only line for check in will be us barrel racers!!  (the rodeo contestants and everyone else can get there on thurs evening)    As for the food..... S.A.L.E. will have breakfast and lunch with drinks  FREE!!  Did I mention it didn't cost anything its FREE !!!!!     to all contestants of the barrel race!!  That should save us gals a bunch of money!!  Just have your contestant pass to get into the horsepatality room..  The gentleman at check-in will see our smiling faces first thing so they should be fresh and ready!!  (unlike after 2 or 3 weeks of it)  Looking forward to a super jackpot in San Antonio!     

Also the south texas dirt god will be overseeing the ground!!  And the alleyway... Mike will make sure it is fast, safe and the best conditions possible!!
« Last Edit: January 06, 2008, 07:16:11 PM by josies jockey »

Offline Janet Gubert

• Veteran Member
« Reply #37 on: January 06, 2008, 07:34:36 PM »
This sounds like an awesome barrel race with the money added and Shelley's gang to run it and the ground prepared by Mike B. and not to mention being the first contestants there!! This is a must attend barrel race!! <ROCKON> <ROCKON>

Offline luckyr

• Elite Member
  • Ebarrelracing.com rocks
« Reply #38 on: January 07, 2008, 08:18:12 AM »
This is going to be an outstanding barrel race   :()&  Can't wait to leave

Offline josies jockey

• Fossil
« Reply #39 on: January 07, 2008, 10:27:53 AM »
Well me and the 'grasshopper' are entered!!  Can't wait now... Look forward to a fun time...

Offline Janet Gubert

• Veteran Member
« Reply #40 on: January 07, 2008, 06:28:16 PM »
 :star wars: :star wars: :star wars: :star wars: :star wars:

Offline JanieM

• Novice Member
« Reply #41 on: January 11, 2008, 07:20:12 PM »
Ther is a walMart on 410 South.  Take Hwy 90 East, then 410 South and it should be the 2nd exit.  Nowadays, there is a WalMart close to everywhere! <:)

Offline Dreamer07

• Veteran Member
« Reply #42 on: January 12, 2008, 01:49:15 PM »
can you still enter this barrel race. I forgot about the deadline and missed it. Was in my own little world.

Offline josies jockey

• Fossil
« Reply #43 on: January 12, 2008, 01:52:07 PM »
YES!!!! There is only (I think) a $10 late fee up until the 20th? And you can enter when you get to San Antonio.. BUT... CASH ONLY and a $25 late fee... 

Offline Dreamer07

• Veteran Member
« Reply #44 on: January 12, 2008, 01:56:36 PM »
Ok thank you very much. I guess I better get my entries in this week.