8am - 6pm
Event Info Click Here

Online Entries are Open
Printable Entry Form
Event Info Click Here

Online Entries Open April 14
Event Info Click Here

Online Entries are Open

Author Topic: Under currents of racism . . .  (Read 10446 times)

Offline PunkinNMe

• Custom tack, Hand-painted belts, Jewelry and More . . . CrystalCaballo.com
  • Posse Member
  • Dinosaur!
  • CrystalCaballo.com
    • CrystalCaballo.com
Under currents of racism . . .
« on: March 11, 2008, 08:47:26 AM »

That's me about three weeks ago.
Some of you may or may not know . . . I'm black.

I've been around horses most of my life.  I had an uncle who had them and we rode EVERY chance we got.  Most of the riding that we did was trail riding on his 92 acres.  His ranch was kind of a destination ranch/meeting ground, so we never had to leave.  We went to the Cowboys of Color Rodeo every year, but that was the extent of my exposure to rodeo. 

He passed when I was about 13 and by the time I was 15 we had sold all of the horses and I wasn't riding anymore.  I spent  the next 12 years cheerleading, hanging out with friends, in college, yadda yadda yadda . . . Always feeling like something was missing from my life.  When I was 27, I finally had enough money to do it so I bought my first horse.  Punkin

I had no idea what I was going to do with her, I just wanted a horse.  So we tooled around a lot at our little barn and rode around there.  I started looking for other things to do with her so she wouldn't be so bored, and low and behold . . . she was already trained to run barrels.  We took some lessons, started riding at friend's arenas . . . and I was smitten.  We started getting legged up and ready to go to rodeos the next season, and jackpots seemed like a logical step in our prep work.  I needed to work off the competition jitters, and get a feel for what speed really felt like. 

That was the first time I was faced with it . . . the first time I felt it . . . the first time I heard it.
Disapproving looks, blatant rude behavior, being looked at like a two headed monster . . .

Now mama always told me that no matter the circumstance, "smile - it increases your face value".  She also taught me that you can't make someone like you . . . "but you can kill em' with kindness."  So at every turn I am friendly and affable.  I say hello to everyone I make eye contact with, or at least offer a smile.  And that was the case one day at a local barrel race.  I'd often go with a good friend of mine, and as we passed a group of ladies I smiled and said hello. 
They just stared.
I just laughed it off and kept walking until I actually heard one of them say, "What they hell are THEY doing here."
I couldn't resist going back and saying, "Oh didn't you know?  We came to steal your trucks and trailers while you're in here running."
Didn't really do my mama so proud on the "kill em with kindness" thing.

A couple weeks ago, I was at Wade's arena and I spoke to a girl in the warm up pen.  I don't recall what exactly I said to her, something along the lines of how cold it was . . . and she looked at me like I should be struck with lightning for daring to speak to her.  I was secretly happy when her run wasn't very good.

Now, I'm not ignorant.  I know that seeing "us" at events is off putting to some people.  I know that it's going to take a while for acceptance to grow.  So while I sometimes feel stung, and the need to sting back . . . I don't really trip on it.  I just move on past it.  That is a part of rodeo right now, and it will take a while for things to get better.

Where I am having trouble moving past the stinging things is in the rest of life, specifically here.  I am having trouble with people making comments that I am sure they think are just fine, and if they weren't in mixed company they probably would be.  But in the presence of people of other races, those things are not okay.  I hear them say things and think to myself, "if she'll say this in my face . . . what the hell is she saying when I'm not around?"  Comments that perhaps they think are funny, and other people laugh . . . but to me there is nothing to laugh about because the comment exhibits under currents of racism.

Based on the treatment I've received at events, and the fact that we are a community of at least SOME of those same poeple . . . I'm a little uncomfortable today, and I just wanted to put that out there.
Some people come into the world and stay for a long time. Others are so powerful that do not have to stay long to change someones life.

Offline up the middle

• Mega Member
Re: Under currents of racism . . .
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2008, 09:10:06 AM »
Hello Punkin....
I'm white.  I'm sorry you are/were treated that way.  I'm sure barrel racing isn't the only sport that 'shuns' black people when its mostly an all white sport.  I do my best to speak to black folks when I see them at barrel races because I could image how I would feel if I were at an all black rodeo and I was the only white person there.  So I hope if we have seen each other I have been able to speak.   
God doesn't see color and we shouldn't either, but unfortunatly some do.  When I was growing up my dad wouldn't let us watch anything on tv with black folks in it.  (Like the Cosby show)  Luckily I didn't grow up thinking like he did.  Where we went to school we only had about 4 black families and I was good friends with all of them.  One of them I still talk to on a regular basis and she will visit my church when she is in town and we will have a big ol hug when we see each other.  My real name is Julie Ford and I hope to run into you at a barrel race and visit with you.  Do you come around the JP's in the Houston area?  That is where I am from.  Thanks for voicing your thoughts and feelings on here. Sometimes I wonder if some of us are really aware of how we treat people while we are at a barrel race.  You are welcome here.
Dont blame me, I voted for the other guy

Offline Bobby L. Barter

• Booger Eater
  • Posse Member
  • Mega Member
  • Me and My Boys
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2008, 09:11:33 AM »
PunkinNMe, You are welcome at any WBR event.I hope that there is only a very small group of people that would do something like this. If you ever need anything or have a problem at one of our events please let me know.BOOGER BARTER

Offline Gabe's Babe

• Defender of The Bored!!! Wait, Board???
  • Charter Member
  • Demi-God
    • Rachael's Equine Services
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2008, 09:19:17 AM »
 (((((((HUGS)))))))) (((((((HUGS)))))))) (((((((HUGS)))))))) (((((((HUGS)))))))) (((((((HUGS)))))))) (((((((HUGS))))))))

Punkin, We all love you and we LOVE to read what you write! BTW,, that picture of you is AWESOME!!! Girl, you have been dropping that weight like mad!!!! Anyhow, I am the same way. Yeah, I am a white girl, but, I will talk to ANYONE!!! I get some weird looks at barrel races. I will just walk up and say "hey, sure is a nice horse you have there" or something else friendly. I have come across many barrel racers in my day that get a "look" on their face that would kill a dog....anyhow, I just push past it and smile!  :cheeze: Cause, I know, that I am friendly and they are not...So  <()> <()> <()> <()> <()> to them. Its us outgoing folks who get those looks that could kill. I did have a good experience one time. Come to find out I was chatting it up with a pro and had NO idea!!! I just rode up and complimented her horse (I do that a lot) and she started talking back!!! WOW!!! She actually took the time to watch my run and gave me some AWESOME feedback. Later a friend of mine was like "did you know that you were talking to ....." Anyhow, It goes with the program. Some Barrel racers are just snobbish and some are awesome. Some just keep to themselves and some are willing to strike up a conversation at any moment...  :)/\\ :)/\\ :)/\\ :)/\\

Offline krape

• Elite Member
  • Ebarrelracing.com rocks
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2008, 09:28:36 AM »
:see-ya: Hello Punkin, my name is Kathy and I am also white.  So sorry you were treated like that but, you know what.....pick up and go on.  People that act that way are probably a little insecure themselves.  Things will get better, those same people will get use to you being around.  I for one am glad to see you doing barrel racing, having a goal and something to do like barrel racing is very rewarding.  If more people had what we have in barrel racing, which includes feeding and taking care of our horses, there would be a lot fewer people in trouble, in jail, drinking, or on drugs. (whatever their color). 

First of all realize that it is a little unusual to see black people barrel racing, but, on the other hand look around....NFR, etc., there are a lot of black people beginning to make their mark in rodeo.  Changes take time, walk with your head up and be proud you can do this.  There are a lot of "white" people that don't/can't do this and would be quite envious of you.  You work hard to get there and always remember what your mom told you.  It doesn't matter what color any of us are, breaking ground on something new is hard for all of us.

Where are you from and where do you normally barrel race.  If I ever see you I'll be sure to speak.

Offline Bobby L. Barter

• Booger Eater
  • Posse Member
  • Mega Member
  • Me and My Boys
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2008, 09:30:34 AM »
Gabe is RIGHT about one thing. She will talk and talk and talk and talk ......... :ROFL2: :ROFL2: :ROFL2:

Downthealley

« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2008, 09:31:05 AM »

Punkin .. I dont give a d@#% what color you are. you are a VERY intelligent and FUNNY and BEAUTIFUL and WITTY and SMART and GOOD WRITER and CHATTY and MY PHOTOGRAPHER and ... I could go on ...

I cant wait to meet you!    :TIGGER: :TIGGER: :see-ya: :see-ya:

Offline amandaeq

• Novice Member
  • Ebarrelracing.com rocks
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2008, 09:32:02 AM »
This post caught my attention.... what I think you'll find if you really look around a little is that there are some women that act that way no matter WHAT color you are white, brown, black or blue... so you really shouldn't get offensive quite yet in my opinion and make it a racial issue until you've really been hauling for awhile to these jackpots where competition is so important to alot of the ladies.   Many of us who run have kids who grew up in school and had friends of all races and we have all gotten a new respect for the wisdom of our kids and have alot different attitudes than we did growing up.   So - just go, have fun, make your runs and don't expect special treatment either - because believe me - most of us get NO special treatment but get the same smirky faces by some of the women and even some of the disrespectful kids too.   Sometimes it comes if you do better than they do, and sometimes it's just because someone had a bad hair day or is unhappy within themselves and it has nothing to do with you or the color of your skin.   It has to do with their little selves.   Just go run, mingle with the people you see have some self respect and good hearts - the rest shouldn't matter.

Offline Tamet Gould

• Administrator
  • Super Hero
  • I was riding even before I was born!
    • Ebarrelracing.com
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2008, 09:34:22 AM »
Punkin, as Im fond of saying (especially to my children for the last 15 yrs) I could care less whether you were pink, purple, orange or green (well maybe I might tell you where the bathroom was if you came up to me and you were green  (:0))) ), girl you rock.  

I personally cant wait to meet you, and you better come up to me and say, "Im Punkin" cause Im going to scream and give you a big hug.    You write SSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO awesome, and let me tell you that has to be an indicator of how good you are at everything else!!!   :TIGGER:

I know what you mean though.   I grew up in Lampasas, Tx and we only had about 5 black people in our school, but I want to tell you one of the young men went on to the Olympics and the others were awesome atheletes (I could only dream of running that fast  :ROFL2: ).

Anyway, when I turned 16 I got to go do some partying with my mother (a whole other story, so we will side line that one) and I had the rare opportunity to get to meet a handsome young man of the whopping age of 19 (I believe) and his name was Coffee.    Yes, the coffee of the clown status in the PRCA.    I loved Coffee to death and he was in the Military stationed at Ft Hood then. I would dance with him and he would tell me they are going to talk about you, I always said, SO WHAT!!!!!!  

Girl, you dont pay one bit of attention to those folks that do that, because as far as Im concerned you ROCK!!!!!!   So just  <()> <()> <()> <()> <()> to them!!!!!! :later:
« Last Edit: March 11, 2008, 09:38:30 AM by Tamet Gould »
Aut viam inveniam aut faciam - I will either find a way or make one.  "Can't lives on Won't street."

Let us be reminded of what Captain John Parker told his army at Lexington Green, the place where the War for Independence began in 1775. He said, “Stand your ground. Don’t fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war, let it begin here.

Offline Gabe's Babe

• Charter Member
  • Demi-God
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2008, 09:38:25 AM »
Gabe is RIGHT about one thing. She will talk and talk and talk and talk ......... :ROFL2: :ROFL2: :ROFL2:

Yup, I am a talker...Just hate it when no one wants to listen...But, My dog and my horse listen pretty good... <()>

hardtimeshorses

« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2008, 09:41:02 AM »
Punkin...I am sorry that you are treated this way.  I understand some of how you feel because I am white but I attend the Anahauc Salt Grass Rodeos, some Cowboys of Color Rodeos, and other "colored" rodeos as my family is the stock contractor and I also compete.  I have found myself in the stands videoing and realizing I am the only white in the stands.  At first I was really uncomfortable but it doesn't bother me anymore.  I hope to meet you one day and I hope that you continue to keep running.  You are always welcome to come and hang out with me.  Keep your chin up and as your Mama said " Kill them with Kindness".

Offline rodeochick

« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2008, 09:46:43 AM »
hey there  Punkin, let me give you some advice person to person. I am also a black barrel Racer and I attend all the event. I  am not offended by the smirks and the looks that everyone else gives me because I am there for a reason, to run barrels. I am there concentrating on what I have to do. If they want to make remarks about me that is fine because, you know what I am about to take YOUR MONEY. SO dont worry about the small stuff. Just worry about the real reason that you are there. When you take enough of there money they are going to want to talk to you to know your secrets. things take time and some people will never change so as I said. DONT WORRY ABOUT IT!!! they make comments let them and move on as long as the dont touch!!!

Offline Gabe's Babe

• Charter Member
  • Demi-God
« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2008, 09:50:32 AM »
 <ROCKON> <ROCKON> <ROCKON>

Offline Katy Holloway

• Posse Member
  • Fossil
  • My younger days!!!!!
« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2008, 09:54:49 AM »
Hello, Punkin!!!  I thought you were awesome before I knew you were black.  (Never entered my mind to wonder what color you were.)  Now that I know you are black, I still think you are awesome.  Never have I "met" a more together person.  You have an amazing intellect, and the way you express yourself, I can only envy.  
I, too, talk to everyone at the barrel races.  How else could I have met some of the most wonderful people on earth?  Yes, there are rude folks, but I just smile at 'em just to bug them!!!!  
You are welcome at my house anytime, come haul with me to any barrel race, visit me at the entry window at Zach's races (or Tam'ets). I would welcome the chance to just chat and grow smarter.
Poo on those narrow minded women, hang with us - the fun bunch!!!!!!!!  :TIGGER:

PS - it doesn't matter, but I am white.  (Well, maybe.  I was adopted as an infant - who knows what I might be?!?!?!?)
Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea!

Be exalted, O God, above the heavens; let Your glory be above all the earth!!
Psalm 57:5

Offline PunkinNMe

• Custom tack, Hand-painted belts, Jewelry and More . . . CrystalCaballo.com
  • Posse Member
  • Dinosaur!
  • CrystalCaballo.com
    • CrystalCaballo.com
« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2008, 10:02:08 AM »
Thank you all for the incredible response to this post.

I will say that I am not very sensitive when it comes to racial issues, and the way I was feeling isn't really based on the incidents at the races.  I understand that it will take time to gain acceptance, and like Rodeochick said . . . I have to be there to do a job.  That part doesn't really get to me as much.

I'm like a duck more often than not, and things tend to roll off my back.  But a couple recent comments kinda got my dander up and the truth is I really wanted to inspire this conversation so that I would KNOW that this community . . . this family, is made up of the kind of people that you all have shown yourselves to be in your replies.

Thank you

For those of you who asked . . .
I am in the Dallas area and go to local stuff mostly.  Wade's arena is real close to me, so I go there quite a bit.  Been to Rendon to run with a friend, but every time I've gotten ready to load my horse up the bottom falls out of the sky.  This will be my first year actually getting to run, if the Lord says the same (he hasn't in past years).  All this month I'm attending the Elm Mott Riding Club playday series, and intend to start this year running at jackpots and small association rodeos.  Specifically Cowboys of Color and RCA as they have a lot of stuff that is close to me.  I'm pretty sure I'll be donating a lot so I don't wanna burn to much gas money to go and do it.

Tamet - I will be sure to come and say hello whenever our paths cross!  I wanted to make Ben's Birthday Bash, but the weather put a hankerin on me and I couldnt' get the darn trailer out!  
« Last Edit: March 11, 2008, 10:05:15 AM by PunkinNMe »
Some people come into the world and stay for a long time. Others are so powerful that do not have to stay long to change someones life.