8am - 6pm
Event Info Click Here

Online Entries are Open
Printable Entry Form
Event Info Click Here

Online Entries Open April 14
Event Info Click Here

Online Entries are Open

Author Topic: Under currents of racism . . .  (Read 10442 times)

Offline CD

• Posse Member
  • Mega Member
  • Ebarrelracing.com rocks
Re: Under currents of racism . . .
« Reply #15 on: March 11, 2008, 10:11:50 AM »
Punkin, you would be most welcome at our shows also. Would love to have you.

Chuck Dunn
D&G Barrel Productions

Offline Gabe's Babe

• Defender of The Bored!!! Wait, Board???
  • Charter Member
  • Demi-God
    • Rachael's Equine Services
« Reply #16 on: March 11, 2008, 10:31:14 AM »
 <ROCKON> <ROCKON> Come to Destry's too!!!!  <ROCKON> <ROCKON>

Offline Jack&Sharon

• Elite Member
  • GOD BLESS AND HAVE A GREAT DAY
    • Sharon Brooks Mannatech
« Reply #17 on: March 11, 2008, 10:32:50 AM »
Punkin, I would like to say I love reading your post also. An would love to meet you someday. You are very valueable an have great worth no matter what color your skin. I happen to think you are beautiful & special . God , made you, so girl always walk with pride because he did make you special. An kindness does hurt those that are trying to hurt you. So , just put your boots on throw your leg over your horse an come ride with us. Sharon

Offline canchasin Cindy

• Mega Member
  • Ride hard and believe in yourself.
« Reply #18 on: March 11, 2008, 10:50:12 AM »
Punkin, Hey!  I'm cindy, white, elderly(53), and not skinny.  does any of that matter? probably not.  now then, i'm from New York State, that usually gets the dander up on folks from the south, it did when i worked for the vet in Houston way back in the early-mid 80's.  but you see, i had no choice where i was born. in my heart, i'm from Texas. When i saw your picture, the first thing i noticed is the horse, then- you, cuz you're very pretty.  as my youngest son (32) says- i'm an old geezer. but i love to run barrels, just like you.  guess that doesn't make either of us bad.  In my early formative years, some of my neighbors were black. didn't hold that against them then, or now, and never will.  I grew up moving from NYS to California, to Arizona, New Mexico, Texas, back to NYS. got married, had kids, went back to Texas and then due to my father in laws failing health, back to NY we came.  My oldest son just retired from Professional Bull Fighter and his brother is an Out Rider (pickup man).  They have worked all-Black rodeos, Mexican rodeos, regular rodeos which includes everyone, and ridden at Canadian rodeos, and had no problems getting along with anyone at any of these.  My 33 yo daughter is 4' 10 3/4", weighs 160 pounds and is discrimminated more by skinny, white girls at barrel racings than you can imagine.  some of my cousins and a couple of freinds have married black men and had children together and the children are beautiful, intelligent and most of all healthy and happy and well adjusted.

If anyone were to base an opinion of you, sight unseen, they would imagine you not of color-meaning black, white, red, or blue, but just a very intelligent, kind person and brilliant writer. period ( as i tell my grandson Colton). I have enjoyed reading your posts and never gave a thought to the color of your skin.

Hope you have a day filled with rainbows my friend.  Ride each ride and enjoy each moment.

and keep in mind " He/She who angers you, controls you."  Get past those that can't show some class.  They are the ones missing out, because they don't know you for who/what you are.

"life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "Holy @#!%, what a ride!" Mavis Leyrer age 83

Offline PunkinNMe

• Custom tack, Hand-painted belts, Jewelry and More . . . CrystalCaballo.com
  • Posse Member
  • Dinosaur!
  • CrystalCaballo.com
    • CrystalCaballo.com
« Reply #19 on: March 11, 2008, 11:17:56 AM »
Aw . . .
Okay, I feel like a total wuss right now . . .
and can't believe what I am about to say . . .
If any of you repeat it, I will deny it until we all die . . .

That last reply brought a tear to my eye <ICRY2>

AND I AM NOT A PUNK!  NO MATTER WHAT THOSE LITTLE VOICES IN MY HEAD ARE SAYING!
« Last Edit: March 11, 2008, 11:31:24 AM by PunkinNMe »
Some people come into the world and stay for a long time. Others are so powerful that do not have to stay long to change someones life.

Offline Pam Cantwell

• Administrator
  • Fossil
« Reply #20 on: March 11, 2008, 11:32:05 AM »
Hey Punkin.....I'm white and I've been treated that way a LOT through the years at barrel races. Some of them won't talk to you unless you outrun them. LOL!! I know barrel racers can vouch for this because it's true and I NEVER understood it!! It has NOTHING to do with race. Some will look at you like a cow looking at a new gate until you beat them, then they want to talk. Weird I know.

You just keep being secure in yourself and as long as you know that YOU are part of the "barrel racing and rodeo" FAMILY, it doesn't matter if you are purple polka dotted. If there are a few racists people out there barrel racing (and I mean only a few) just ignore them and know the rest of us have your back. We ALL deal with a bunch that think they are better than anyone else and race has nothing to do with that.
“When the government fears the people, you have liberty.  When the people fear the government, you have tyranny.”  ~Thomas Jefferson.

Offline Stacieleighmay

• Fossil
  • Me and my roomie Jenni
« Reply #21 on: March 11, 2008, 11:53:56 AM »
Well Punkin, I know that I can't really say I know how you feel, but I do feel for you.  I can only imagine that the way you are/were treated by these people is probably the way I feel when someone who thinks they are much better than me (snobs) treat me as a lowly person who is not worth their while.  It is very sad to see how the human race can treat people, no matter what their color.  There is a line from the movie Robin Hood: Prince of Theives, where Morgan Freemans character is talking to a little girl from the camp, and it goes like this:

Girl:  "Did God paint you?"
Man: (laughs) "Did God paint me?".........(smiles) "Yes"
Girl:  "Why?"
Man:  "Because Allah loves wonderous variety"

I wish that people would just look past the color and simply view us as a single race.  Sort of how they look at horses, there are so many different colors and breeds, but all beautiful.  And my Granny says the same thing your mom says, "kill them with kindness".  And I know it can be hard, but I think the more you do it, the easier it is.

I grew up in a very small town, and untill I went to High School in a different town, I had never had black class mates.  Of course, I was tickled pink at the thought, and had many friends that were a "different" color than me.  I didn't care about it though, I think we are all beautiful in our own way.  However, 2 of my best friends from high school were never allowed to come to my house or spend the night or anything by their own parents, because their parents were afraid something might happen to them, becase the small town that I grew up in, unfortunately, had a reputation for having members of the kkk around.  It really hurt me, because I thought it was stupid (the kkk) and just wanted to be able to show my friends around (cause we live out in the country and it's so pretty), but their parents were always afraid something would happen.  

So you can see, there are more people that are affected by people's ingnorance than just someone who is black, or brown, or fat or thin.  And most people fear what they don't understand, or feel threatned by it, and instead of letting it be, or trying to learn from it, they act out and try to hurt what they don't understand.  It's sad, but if you look around, what is even more sad is that humans tend to destroy more than they create, and that is because they are not informed, and have a closed mind.  My mind, however, is open, like my heart, and you Punkin, are BEAUTIFUL!  I wish I went to barrel races, because I'd love to meet you in person.  Maybe one day I will!  If I were you I'd keep on trucking, keep on smiling, and sooner or later those people will stand up and take notice of you.  They'll notice than no matter how they treat you, that you repay them with kindness, and that you ride just as good if not better than they do, and then they'll start to feel a change in their heart about you.  So don't give up, hold your head high, and know that you do have friends who love you for who you are!!  (((((((HUGS)))))))) (((((((HUGS)))))))) (((((((HUGS))))))))
My faith is the evidence of things unseen.
The fear of loss is a path to the dark side.
We ride never worry about the fall...I guess that's just the Cowboy in us all...

Offline Txsweetie

• I'm Loving It....
  • Dinosaur!
  • It is what it is..................
« Reply #22 on: March 11, 2008, 12:14:33 PM »
Punkin - first I want to say I love you girl no matter what color you are!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Second I want to tell you that I am WHITE and many of my very close friends are black and I never see a color!!!!!!!!!!!1

People that say that give other people a bad name and they themselves are the ones that need serious help.    I have never understood why people can't put the color issue aside and just see the person for who they are inside.  I am so truly sorry that these ignorant people have caused you such pain, but to allow them to dampen your spirits is letting them win.  Next time they say something just smile and walk away, it is hard I know but your momma is right.   :cheeze:

Let me also say that I really don't think it matters what color you are with that type of females. lol  They are just hateful individuals anyways......  I have been talked about behind my back and my face, and I just chalk it up to jealousy!!!!!!!!!!  Just SMILE and don't let them ruin your day!!!!!

Love you bunches!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
« Last Edit: March 11, 2008, 12:21:56 PM by Txsweetie »
Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind.  -Dr. Suess

Offline debhorses

• letz get this party!!!!!
  • Posse Member
  • Super Hero
« Reply #23 on: March 11, 2008, 12:22:41 PM »
Punkin..that person who made u feel like that has just sicken me... :nahnah:  i could give a care what color a person is.. what size or shape..i'm fat....in the summer time i get darker....in winter time i'm a bit lighter...but i'm still the same  :crazy: person day in and day out..and if you and i were to cut each others skin, the liquid stuff that comes out is all the same color...we all bleed the same color which is RED!! i worked in a cancer hospital for 30 years and everyone was treated the same..and believe me it was not for the color of their skin..some peeps just live in a box  and dont see the big picture...there are peeps out there who stereotype..i just cant do that...i take peeps at face value....although i must say i'm alittle disappointed because u went Christmas decoration shopping instead of coming to see me in Alvarado on Dec. 1 of last year..but i let u slide only if you promise to come meet me again when i'm in that area!! (((((((HUGS))))))))
can't wait till May!!!

Offline bj

• Ebarrelracing.com hero And Burger Queen
  • Charter Member
  • Elite Member
  • Ebarrelracing.com Rocks
« Reply #24 on: March 11, 2008, 12:32:38 PM »
Punkin,
I am WHITE and I have rodeoed at Cleo's Cowboy of Color rodeos for years.  I also rodeoed at thr RCA rodeos until my good horse died.  I love both groups.  I have many wonderful rodeo family members that are Black and I love them all the same.  We have had some great times over the years and I have enjoyed each and everyone I have met at these rodeos.  I feel badly that you have been made to feel this way by some ignorant and rude people, regardless of skin color.
Some of the best times we have had are the times when I have people over and we start telling stories of our rodeo travels.  I hope you will forgive these people for their actions and keep smiling and coming out to the races.  I also go to Wade's and I will look for you and hopefully I will receive one of your smiles and hellos.  I know I will be smiling.
Please don';t let a few bad eggs spoil your fun.

Offline canchaser

• Sharon (smith) McCallum
  • Dinosaur!
« Reply #25 on: March 11, 2008, 02:43:03 PM »
punkin,  like someone else said, that kind of attitude comes from some no matter what. i wouldn't let the color of my skin, or theirs determine my attitude before i get to take their money. except to put a little more burn under me!! lol roflmao
treat it the way my orthodontist told me when i was a kid. if you keep smiling, the only person that will know you have braces is YOU! lol i didn't believe it, but it worked!!! one of my classmates asked me after graduation when looking at the yearbook,' you had braces???" (and i thought i was blonde!!!  :ROFL2:)

come on out girl! there are some really tuff barrel racers of many different skin types. who cares!!! those that are going to be snitty are going to be that way any how. and those who are going to be friendly, and there are TONS more of those, are going to meet and greet you!

rodeo is made up of family..... barrel racing, however, is kind of like a beauty pagent. lots of people PRETEND to like each other, but many of them have their band aids in the wrong place!!! not to say there aren't good people in barrel racing, there are!!! you just have to pick thru the herd and mark your culls. :so cool: keep coming, you'll meet the right people. and if you see bj, ride up beside her and push her off!!! LOL she likes that!!!! LOLOLOLOLOLOL ::2COOL:: seriously, though, she's pretty cool and a great lady. i'm out at wade's on occassion on tuesdays, so if you're there, and i'm there, you better say hello!!! i'm the one pulling up in the cool looking ford dually CD misses so much!!!!  :TIGGER:
and while i'm at it, let me extend an invitation.. the new frontiers cowboy church on I-20 is starting practice nights back on wednesdays, and our first series starts on the 19th. come on down!!!

how do people get thru life without a horse?
"...I've been around and I've found that the going's easy when the road is flat... God gave us mountains so we could learn how to climb..."..Lone Star

Offline bj

• Charter Member
  • Elite Member
« Reply #26 on: March 11, 2008, 02:53:22 PM »
Sharon, if she were to push me off, it might hurt.  I am a lot older now and the hurts take longer to go away.  Punkin, don't listen to her.  Just ride up and give me a hugg instead of a shove.  I will be looking for you at Wade's. :)/\\

Offline canchaser

• Sharon (smith) McCallum
  • Dinosaur!
« Reply #27 on: March 11, 2008, 03:03:16 PM »
Sharon, if she were to push me off, it might hurt.  I am a lot older now and the hurts take longer to go away.  Punkin, don't listen to her.  Just ride up and give me a hugg instead of a shove.  I will be looking for you at Wade's. :)/\\

now babs, you know it couldn't hurt too much if that warm up area is as muddy as it has been of late!!  rofl but i'm with you, i don't bounce too well anymore, either! :TIGGER: roflmao
so don't shove her punkin', hug her, she's pretty sweet. you can shove tony though!!!! :ROFL2: rofl rofl
how do people get thru life without a horse?
"...I've been around and I've found that the going's easy when the road is flat... God gave us mountains so we could learn how to climb..."..Lone Star

Offline bj

• Charter Member
  • Elite Member
« Reply #28 on: March 11, 2008, 03:33:27 PM »
 :()& :yes:
I second that. Tony still bounces pretty good.

Offline DOHorsewmn

• Elite Member
  • Finishing a GREAT DAY!
« Reply #29 on: March 11, 2008, 03:38:28 PM »
I totally agree with what everyone has said.  I know some barrel racers are cruel and tacky folks.  I am overweight and always have been - I was even told "you aren't built right for barrel racing"  see the ones who go fast are skinny.  Well  <psssttt> to them!  

I am sorry that you had to endure that - I too try to kill them with kindness - I smile and speak to everyone.  I figure if you are pissy then you will get yours eventually.  I believe what goes around comes around.  

You are awesome!  Hold your head up as always and find those of us who are the truly  ::2COOL:: and are out to have fun and enjoy our "family and peeps"!
Punctuality is the virtue of the bored.
  - Evelyn Waugh
"Only a man's character is the real criteron of worth"  Eleanor Roosevelt