8am - 6pm
Event Info Click Here

Online Entries are Open
Printable Entry Form
Event Info Click Here

Online Entries Open April 14
Event Info Click Here

Online Entries are Open

Author Topic: Under currents of racism . . .  (Read 10449 times)

Offline PunkinNMe

• Custom tack, Hand-painted belts, Jewelry and More . . . CrystalCaballo.com
  • Posse Member
  • Dinosaur!
  • CrystalCaballo.com
    • CrystalCaballo.com
Re: Under currents of racism . . .
« Reply #30 on: March 11, 2008, 03:51:58 PM »
Again, thank you all so much for your kind words.
I hope you know that what you've said has meant a great deal to me and given me a much better outlook!

I appreciate every one of you very much!

For the record, I've though this through and I won't be pushing anyone off if/when I see them.
Cause quite frankly at the ripe "old" age of 32, I don't bounce that well either.  And if any of you push me over . . . that will end my day.

I do wanna hug everybody though . . .
 (((((((HUGS))))))))

Some people come into the world and stay for a long time. Others are so powerful that do not have to stay long to change someones life.

Offline Gabe's Babe

• Defender of The Bored!!! Wait, Board???
  • Charter Member
  • Demi-God
    • Rachael's Equine Services
« Reply #31 on: March 11, 2008, 03:54:19 PM »
 (((((((HUGS)))))))) (((((((HUGS)))))))) (((((((HUGS)))))))) (((((((HUGS)))))))) (((((((HUGS)))))))) (((((((HUGS)))))))) (((((((HUGS)))))))) (((((((HUGS)))))))) (((((((HUGS)))))))) (((((((HUGS)))))))) (((((((HUGS))))))))

Offline powersrodeomom

• Veteran Member
  • Pepper and Junior napping before a run
« Reply #32 on: March 11, 2008, 04:29:52 PM »
Punkin, some of my greratest friends are black or married to black men and one of the MOST important people in my life is mixed- my adopted son "Bubba"... funny really,  my daughter has been barrel racing for about 5 years now, and when we first started going to little playdays and local stuff, people would stare at the "little brown boy" running around when there was no brown people in the entire place.... some would even make comments and then ten minutes later Bubba would come running over to the stands and climb in the bleachers next to me starting a sentence with ... "Hey, Momma...."  Never saw so many crazy looks in my life- LOL!!!!  :ROFL2: (I'm white BTW, adopted son is mixed)  The looks get even crazier when people don't know he's adopted and they find out that Bubba and my white, blonde headed daughter are the SAME AGE!!  TOO FUNNY!  roflmao  Everyone knows us now, so the looks have stopped, and everyone treats us great. 

Offline Tamet Gould

• Administrator
  • Super Hero
  • I was riding even before I was born!
    • Ebarrelracing.com
« Reply #33 on: March 11, 2008, 05:22:29 PM »
:()& :yes:
I second that. Tony still bounces pretty good.

BJ did you bounce him off the house to find that out?   

Now Pam you know it is your flaming red hair that makes everyone stare at you!!!!!!   

Punkin you need to come up to this part of the country, try Destrys or Boogers race!!!!!   
Aut viam inveniam aut faciam - I will either find a way or make one.  "Can't lives on Won't street."

Let us be reminded of what Captain John Parker told his army at Lexington Green, the place where the War for Independence began in 1775. He said, “Stand your ground. Don’t fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war, let it begin here.

Offline turnincircles

• Dinosaur!
  • Ebarrelracing.com rocks
« Reply #34 on: March 11, 2008, 09:10:16 PM »
Punkin' I'm very sorry people have treated you this way at barrel races.  I can assure you if I ever run across you at a barrel race you'll have a short little white girl wrapped around your neck before you know what happened.  I love reading your stories, you're just amazing and I would feel privledged to meet you out on the road somewhere.  If you stay in this game long enough (and I hope you will), all of our paths will cross at some point in time. 

Let me tell you a story about a good friend of mine.  She's small, blonde,  white, beautiful and an un-freakin'-believable horseman. She didn't have a ton of money and didn't have a "famous" name, but she has ALWAYS ridden great horses and can make even a bad horse look good.  She's very out going and super funny.  Right down hillarious at times.  Several years ago she had 2 jam-up pro-horses and hit the road going out west to the all the big pro-rodeos.  She's pretty well known around Texas, but not out there.  Well, the first couple rodeos she went to everyone avoided her like she was diseased or something.  No one would talk to her, smile at her, or was willing to lend her a helping hand at first.  Well guess what, she placed at those rodeos and won a few more.  Low and behold, all those same girls who wouldn't give her the time of day were all of the sudden chatting her up and acting like they were her best buds.  So, you see, there are girls out there on all levels and of all colors who act without class.  They surely don't discriminate.  They'll be a b-iatch to anybody.  (:0)))

Keep your chin up and please know that "those" girls are far out numbered by "us" girls who love you being here.
You can go and worry about the competition, and worry whether your horse will work, or whether you've selected the right bridle.  But if you've done your homework, you should be able to go out and just enjoy your ride.---The late cutting horse trainer Greg Ward of Tulare, California.

Offline Tamet Gould

• Administrator
  • Super Hero
  • I was riding even before I was born!
    • Ebarrelracing.com
« Reply #35 on: March 11, 2008, 09:34:01 PM »
AMEN  >PEACE<
Aut viam inveniam aut faciam - I will either find a way or make one.  "Can't lives on Won't street."

Let us be reminded of what Captain John Parker told his army at Lexington Green, the place where the War for Independence began in 1775. He said, “Stand your ground. Don’t fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war, let it begin here.

Offline kbrooks

• Veteran Member
« Reply #36 on: March 11, 2008, 09:42:35 PM »
I'm sure our paths have crossed too.  We are at all of Cleo's rodeos as well.  My daughter runs barrels, my husband was the clown for 20+ years and now does everything else and my brother in law is the arena director.  So I will see you in OKC - well maybe not with the 3.89 diesel right now!  Make sure to stop and say hi and hang out.  Lord knows we are there all day. 

I do understand what you mean about comments being made sometimes.  I honestly don't think people realize it when they do . . .
For example when someone is telling a story and always say, "Joe, Bob, and this black guy named Tom".  I always think what does that add to the story?  Why did it have to be told with the preface of what color one of the people in the story is?  It happens all the time and with all races.  So I stealing your thread and saying maybe people should stop and think before they speak - does adding that description really add value to what I'm saying?  If it does, then do it; but if it doesn't tell the story just the way it was . . . "There were three guys, Joe, Bob and Tom"

Sorry for stealing and getting on my soap box but coming from a multi-racial family we deal with this too.  Luckily I have a husband who has the best personality and doesn't let anyone not speak or be ugly.  He's going to keep talking to them until they beg him to stop.   >angel<

So next time you are down our way, you are always welcome with us.

Rookie, Keri, Kylee and Grayson Brooks

Offline PunkinNMe

• Custom tack, Hand-painted belts, Jewelry and More . . . CrystalCaballo.com
  • Posse Member
  • Dinosaur!
  • CrystalCaballo.com
    • CrystalCaballo.com
« Reply #37 on: March 12, 2008, 04:31:04 AM »
AAAAAAAAAAAH Rookie!!

And I've seen you but never spoken, so yeah if I can get ye old parents ot sponsor some fuel I'll see you in OKC!

Your daughter and that black horse are amazing!!
Some people come into the world and stay for a long time. Others are so powerful that do not have to stay long to change someones life.

Offline bj

• Ebarrelracing.com hero And Burger Queen
  • Charter Member
  • Elite Member
  • Ebarrelracing.com Rocks
« Reply #38 on: March 12, 2008, 07:54:06 AM »
:()& :yes:
I second that. Tony still bounces pretty good.

BJ did you bounce him off the house to find that out?   

Now Pam you know it is your flaming red hair that makes everyone stare at you!!!!!!   

Punkin you need to come up to this part of the country, try Destrys or Boogers race!!!!!  

I haven't bounced him off of much lately, but he is so round and fluffy, I know he would bounce.

Offline kellykaminski

« Reply #39 on: March 12, 2008, 08:27:05 AM »
Punkin,

I saw this the other day, but didn't read it until this morning.  I'm with those other girls.  No matter who you are there are those cruel people out there that want to make themselves feel better by saying mean things.  I've had people talk about me as well, and it really hurt.  I've even had people talk on the boards, especially when I was really down.  I just have to remember that their problem is not with me, but with them.  Next time someone is mean like that, tell yourself,

"It's not about me, it's about them."

Hang in there and have fun anyway!  Don't let them steal your joy!

Dream Big and Believe!
Kelly

Offline canchaser

• Sharon (smith) McCallum
  • Dinosaur!
« Reply #40 on: March 12, 2008, 09:04:09 AM »
hey kerri! you guys look so familiar!!! where did your husband fight?
i bet he knows my husband??
how do people get thru life without a horse?
"...I've been around and I've found that the going's easy when the road is flat... God gave us mountains so we could learn how to climb..."..Lone Star

Offline kbrooks

• Veteran Member
« Reply #41 on: March 12, 2008, 09:37:07 AM »
Just about everywhere.  He only does it now a couple of times a year.  Lots of people get him and my brother in law Timmy Brooks mixed up.  They look a lot alike even though neither one of them want to admit it.  Lately the junior rodeos take up most of our time, but I'm sure you have met him somewhere.  We don't go anywhere that there isn't someone we know.  That is one of the blessings of the rodeo world - a lifetime of friends!

Offline KerrieL

• Dinosaur!
« Reply #42 on: March 12, 2008, 09:59:33 AM »
I am one of those who says hi to everyone!!  If someone walks by with their heads down, I make a point to say hi to those people.......I've never realized anyone really made a fuss of this situation.....naive me I guess because I never cared what color anyone was, just that each person that showed up meant more money in the pot.  I do however kinda keep to myself before I run so if you ever see me and I don't say hi or give you a "look" its just because I'm getting ready to run and have my "game face" on so to speak.
I was invited to the Rodeo of Color last year in OKC.  It was the best time and everyone was sooooooooooo nice.  I had a great great time!
I guess I'm desensitized so to speak, my two favorite cousins are white/black........I've seen first hand how cruel people can be.....they got it from white people along with black people......neither one would really accept them.  It was really hard on them growing up.  So I get offended very easily on this subject, because they are more like my siblings then cousins, and have seen the hurt.  I never knew no different, they weren't different to me just my family and I love them.
Ignorance.............its a sad thing, but something sadly we must deal with, but dealing with such stupidity with stupidity is no good.......when we rise above the cruelty then that shows the kind of person we really are.......Its easy to let yourself get upset and lash out.......it takes self control and confidence to let it roll off your back because you are better than that.
Punkin, though I have not met you yet, it is a pleasure just to know you from your posts!!!!!!!!!!!
Failure is only the opportunity to begin again, this time more wisely.

Offline 1texascowgirl

• Dinosaur!
« Reply #43 on: March 12, 2008, 10:01:18 AM »
Punkin, first off I want to tell you, WOW!!! You look GREAT!!! The first pic of you with your co-workers wasn't the best body shot, but you look like you have really lost a bunch of weight! I am very proud of you, keep up the good work!
Second, I just read this post (I always look for yours because they are always good) and what I got from it was that someone on here may have said something to hurt your feelings. I hope not, I am envious of your talent, not only as a writer, but how well you express your feelings and how bright you are. I treat everyone the same, like a person, the way I want everyone to treat me. That's just the way it should be, in the end, those people will be the ones having to answer for their ignorance.

Offline tilted c

• Veteran Member
  • ~Boondock & Me~
    • Tilted C Barrel Horses
« Reply #44 on: March 12, 2008, 10:04:02 AM »
I just wanted to let you know that I feel the same way everyone else does here. Kudos to you for stepping out and making that post. THAT'S AWSOME!!!     :)/\\         :()&       :)/\\              

<psssttt> on the people who have treated you that way.
~Tilted C Barrel Horses~