8am - 6pm
Event Info Click Here

Online Entries are Open
Printable Entry Form
Event Info Click Here

Online Entries Open April 14
Event Info Click Here

Online Entries are Open

Author Topic: Under currents of racism . . .  (Read 10448 times)

Offline gbacres

• Super Hero
Re: Under currents of racism . . .
« Reply #75 on: April 01, 2008, 09:41:05 PM »
 :TIGGER:
www.gbacres.fws1.com/index.html

I'd rather be a "has been" than "a never been at all."

Offline Trouble n Texs

• Elite Member
« Reply #76 on: April 01, 2008, 09:47:38 PM »
I AM KEEPIN THIS BUMPED TOO THE TOP......BECAUSE I THINK MORE PEOPLE NEED TOO READ IT AND HOPFULLY LEARN SOMETHING FROM IT. I FIND THIS TOO BE ONE OF THE BEST POST TOO HITT THE BOARD
FRIENDS ARE LIKE A TREE,SOME ARE LIKE THE ROOTS OF THE TREE ALWAYS STANDING SOLID W/U...OTHERS ARE LIKE THE LEAVES OF THE TREE THEY GO ALL DIRECTIONS WHEN THE WIND BLOWS,AND OTHERS ARE LIKE THE STUFF U USE TO FERTILIZE THE TREE........FULL OF $@^* !!!!

Offline memphis

• Mega Member
  • Ebarrelracing.com rocks
« Reply #77 on: April 01, 2008, 10:45:51 PM »
Ok....I am glad you bumped this up because although I should be in bed already I'm going to put my 2 cents worth in....
1.  I love to read your posts....could care less about what color your skin is, everything you write comes from your heart and it touches ours....and that tells me what kind of a person you are.
2.  I am one of the snobs at barrel races....I have to really concentrate on staying on  rofl so I don't talk to barely anyone...I might smile, but most of the time I won't talk til it's over.
3.  This whole post kinda reminds me of when I used to show horses in Open Horse shows.....ever notice a person with an Arabian ( I'm not knocking them, I too used to have one that I rode for just the fun of it)  Well here I am leading a paint colt in an open breed color halter class and a snobby girl with her goofy arabian looks at my colt as if "how dare him be in the same arena with my fancy arabian".....now isn't this kind of like the same thing....people judging by looks and not what's on the inside?  Plumb ignorance if you ask me.....I like you and I've never even met you.

Offline Bob Gould

• Tamet's Husband
  • Administrator
  • Super Hero
    • Texas Rustic Elegance
« Reply #78 on: April 01, 2008, 11:34:32 PM »
Tamet used to show Arabs there are a couple of shows she won (open and Arab both) on barreltube. I guess I am different I meet quite a few people who owned and showed Arabs. I met a few of he snobby ones but most were as friendly as could be. I did an App show once and people were so rude and hateful I won't do another for any amount of money.
This came to me while chopping wood the other day. You've heard don't sweat the small stuff. I say save it for later and use it for kindling

Offline PunkinNMe

• Custom tack, Hand-painted belts, Jewelry and More . . . CrystalCaballo.com
  • Posse Member
  • Dinosaur!
  • CrystalCaballo.com
    • CrystalCaballo.com
« Reply #79 on: April 02, 2008, 08:15:36 AM »
I was surprised to see this back on the front page, but I am happy to see that we are still having a conversation that can only make us stronger as an e-family.

Again I thank you all for your candor and honesty, and for your support! 
I count ebarrelracing.com as a blessing everyday!  The people I've met, the conversations I've had, the renewed faith in human nature.

I just plain love this board!
Some people come into the world and stay for a long time. Others are so powerful that do not have to stay long to change someones life.

Offline Gabe's Babe

• Defender of The Bored!!! Wait, Board???
  • Charter Member
  • Demi-God
    • Rachael's Equine Services
« Reply #80 on: April 02, 2008, 08:49:08 AM »
Bob, I showed an Appy....He was Fun! I am one of the few that went to Arabin horse show with gabe the babe...YUP, we placed next to last in the open 2yo class....We only went to get him in the arena....Youguys should have seen the looks i got!  :ROFL2: :ROFL2: :ROFL2: :ROFL2: Gabe, the QH BAY with an Afro for a mane....OMG I thought we were gonna be booed out of there! Oh, well. I just held my head high and showed him as if he were worth a million bucks!  :)/\\

Offline Donk

• Fossil
« Reply #81 on: April 02, 2008, 01:00:09 PM »
I havent' had a chance to get on here much lately but just spent my entire lunch break reading this from page one.

Punkin, you are something special!  Your personality is so unique, I too scan through the posts looking for yours, because I know it will be well-thought through and intelligent.   You are an asset to this forum!!

I am white.  I grew up in Houston in the poorest subdivision in Cy-Fair school district.  I rode the bus with only 4 other white kids, all the others were Hispanic.  So I learned early on that color means nothing.  We played yard ball, rode bikes, and caught crawdads with the neighbor kids because they were just like us...kids.  We had no horses growing up.  My sister is 11 years older than me and she had horses.  Every chance that I could I was horseback, but that did not amount to much.  I spent over 10 years working with racehorses at the track to put myself through college and even my first years of teaching.  Rode any horse someone offered to me to ride.  Bought my first horse when I was 24.  Ran my first barrel race in 2005 and like you I'm 32, still trying to get my feet wet.

I guess what I am trying to say is I kinda understand your story and frustration.  But please know, I think you are amazing for setting the standards in your life that you have.  NO ONE has the right to look down on you and I sure hope to some that they see how truly talented and special that you are.

AND..

by the way, Racheal and I went to highschool and college together and have been buddies for a long time.  She was one of the ones who'd loan me a horse when I needed one.  I knew TJ, Gypsy, the grey mare and yes the beloved Gabe.  I've even been to the ranch to ride a few times, almost got throwed in the Navasota River bottom because of pigs.  I'm not ashamed to call her my friend!
Capps Cowboy Leatherwerx     Saddle & Tack Repair     Custom Items Built

Offline CHANCEYSMOM

• Elite Member
« Reply #82 on: April 02, 2008, 02:13:03 PM »
 :TIGGER: :see-ya:
Good People and Best Friends are found on ebarrel horse.

Offline Gabe's Babe

• Charter Member
  • Demi-God
« Reply #83 on: April 02, 2008, 05:14:07 PM »
 <ROCKON> Thanks Donk!!!!! Yup, I remeber the pigs and that mare you were ridding!!!!  rofl rofl rofl Sure miss the good ol' days!

Offline Trouble n Texs

• Elite Member
« Reply #84 on: April 16, 2008, 11:36:27 PM »
 <KICK YO BUTT>
FRIENDS ARE LIKE A TREE,SOME ARE LIKE THE ROOTS OF THE TREE ALWAYS STANDING SOLID W/U...OTHERS ARE LIKE THE LEAVES OF THE TREE THEY GO ALL DIRECTIONS WHEN THE WIND BLOWS,AND OTHERS ARE LIKE THE STUFF U USE TO FERTILIZE THE TREE........FULL OF $@^* !!!!

Offline Gabe's Babe

• Charter Member
  • Demi-God
« Reply #85 on: April 17, 2008, 08:42:47 AM »
 <(::)> <(::)> I experienced something yesterday.....My co-worker accused me of being racist. Um, I am not racist. But, she feels that for he last year and a half that I did not like her because she is black.  <(::)> <(::)> Um, not so. I dont like her because she is constantly complaining, accusing and flat out messing up at work. So, I am feeling like she is being racist against me. I dont think she like white girls who are younger than her and are in charge.  <(::)> <(::)> <(::)> <(::)> <(::)> <(::)> <(::)> <(::)> <(::)> I am being serious now. This really bugged the  (XXX) out of me.

Offline PunkinNMe

• Custom tack, Hand-painted belts, Jewelry and More . . . CrystalCaballo.com
  • Posse Member
  • Dinosaur!
  • CrystalCaballo.com
    • CrystalCaballo.com
« Reply #86 on: April 17, 2008, 08:49:07 AM »
Is this the older co-worker that we talked about before?
The one that I told you to document EVERYTHING on . . .
if so - straight to HR you should go.

Let them know the conversation that you had with her, and that you want to talk to her - WITH A MEDIATOR IN THE ROOM - so that there is not ongoing tension between the two of you.

GET IT ON THE RECORD RACH! 
Some people come into the world and stay for a long time. Others are so powerful that do not have to stay long to change someones life.

Offline Gabe's Babe

• Charter Member
  • Demi-God
« Reply #87 on: April 17, 2008, 08:59:11 AM »
 >THUD< >THUD< i am so sick of the who animosity thing. Um, work, I work, you work...get the job done...Who needs to be friends with all of their co-workers?  <KICK YO BUTT> <KICK YO BUTT> Good news is, she is counting the days until retirement. i just wish she would tell me when that day is.....Yes, document...Got it... >THUD< >THUD< >THUD<

Offline Trouble n Texs

• Elite Member
« Reply #88 on: December 19, 2008, 06:14:52 PM »
I BROUGHT THIS BACK UP FOR A FRIEND TOO READ

Offline Mary Lyn

• Extreme Member
  • I feel blessed everyday, with all I do have :)
« Reply #89 on: December 19, 2008, 06:59:55 PM »
I read your post and had to respond too. I don't write on here much but I do read alot. First of all you are gorgeous and have the most beautiful smile!!! It is sad the way people act but I am white and have been to many events where I smile & say hi and people look at me like I'm an alien or something.  I was raised to be nice to everyone & have raised my kids the same. I have a son & daughter & they have many black friends that spend the night regularly. So like everyone else has said on here stay yourself & the people that don't want to talk to you are the one's missing out on a wonderful person!!!   :nahnah: on them