Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 11:48:34 AM
Website
:

+  ebarrelracing.com forum
|-+  News
| |-+  Internet Scams & Hoaxes
| | |-+  MS 13 Gang Alert - I just got this email - could be hoax but please beware
0 and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
: [1]
: MS 13 Gang Alert - I just got this email - could be hoax but please beware  ( 9743 )
Deb Harris
Elite Member

: Female
: 709

Ride Boldly Ride!

« : May 01, 2008, 03:37:35 PM »

We have received credible information here at the court regarding the MS13 gang moving out this way and recruiting.  The initiation for being accepted to the gang is to kill someone....anyone.....one way they are doing this is rear-ending someone in their car and when they get out of their car they are shooting them and driving off.  If you get hit in your car, DO NOT GET OUT OF YOUR CAR. Drive off, call 911 with your cell phone, tell them you were in an accident but left the scene, and request an officer to meet you somewhere.  Please pass this information on to everyone you know.

Alice Vitek
court clerk
Austin County Justice of the Peace
Precinct 3

aka.  "Debbie Denadrag"
Donk
Fossil

: 5,156

« #1 : May 01, 2008, 03:40:58 PM »

My goodness, what is the world coming to?

Capps Cowboy Leatherwerx     Saddle & Tack Repair     Custom Items Built
Bob Gould
Tamet's Husband
Administrator

: Male
: 11,067

« #2 : May 01, 2008, 03:41:29 PM »

This is a hoax. The best way to see if an email is a hoax (and most are) google the subject of the sentence and then put hoax after it and there you are
Update: Police: gang initiation e-mail a hoax
By Ryan Seals
Staff Writer
FRIDAY, JAN. 4, 2008 4:21 PM
GREENSBORO — Greensboro police advised Friday that a series of e-mails sent to residents regarding plotted gang initiations are a hoax and should not be forwarded.

The e-mails, which are reported to come from a writer named "Carla," indicate a gang initiation that involves members stopping a victim at a red light, asking them to roll down the driver's window for directions and then shooting the victim in the face.

Assistant Police Chief Dwight Crotts said the e-mails are part of a well-known hoax that has been circulated all over the country.

"We have not responded to any calls like this in the city or the county," Crotts said.

In this case, as with all gang hoax e-mails, Crotts said police have looked at the e-mail, traced its origin and found that the message has been cut and pasted from another location and adapted locally as the hoax has spread.

"What we have seen in on the e-mail copies that we have — the e-mail will have a letter attached from a specific person, but that person doesn't exist," Crotts said. "There is not an e-mail from somebody named 'Carla,' and there is not a 'Carla' to be found (in tracing the e-mail.)"

At face value, the "Carla" e-mail may seem legitimate because it references a local gang crime — a Dec. 8 MS-13 gang-related shooting at Las Jarochitas on High Point Road that left two people dead, along with remarking about another recent shooting along N.C. 68.

Crotts said those references are another giveaway that the e-mail is a hoax because the N.C. 68 shooting never happened and the High Point Road shooting is from where someone adapted the e-mail to make it seem more legitimate, which is common.

"They adapt wherever they go. They'll pick up whatever is local," Crotts said.

Another sign of a hoax is that e-mail is full of spelling errors, including calling MS-13 — M-13.

Crotts advises residents who receive such e-mails not to forward them and to notify their local law enforcement agency.

Contact Ryan Seals at 373-7077 or [email protected]

This came to me while chopping wood the other day. You've heard don't sweat the small stuff. I say save it for later and use it for kindling
Bob Gould
Tamet's Husband
Administrator

: Male
: 11,067

« #3 : May 01, 2008, 03:42:04 PM »

This is just one of many listed on google

This came to me while chopping wood the other day. You've heard don't sweat the small stuff. I say save it for later and use it for kindling
Deb Harris
Elite Member

: 709

Ride Boldly Ride!

« #4 : May 01, 2008, 03:45:00 PM »

Oh......

aka.  "Debbie Denadrag"
turnincircles
Dinosaur!

: 2,661

Ebarrelracing.com rocks

« #5 : May 01, 2008, 07:35:12 PM »

This was also going around the Houston area a few weeks ago.  I sent it to KPRC news and they said it was a hoax and there had been no reports of that kind of activity anywhere in the Houston area.

You can go and worry about the competition, and worry whether your horse will work, or whether you've selected the right bridle.  But if you've done your homework, you should be able to go out and just enjoy your ride.---The late cutting horse trainer Greg Ward of Tulare, California.
thamesranch
Jackass Hunter
Mega Member

: 1,638

« #6 : May 01, 2008, 10:07:01 PM »

Oh......
Don't feel bad, I got it several times this past few weeks.

Do it right, or get off the Horse.
: [1]  
« previous next »
: