8am - 6pm
Event Info Click Here

Online Entries are Open
Printable Entry Form
Event Info Click Here

Online Entries Open April 14
Event Info Click Here

Online Entries are Open

Author Topic: . . . A little advice  (Read 3521 times)

Offline PunkinNMe

• Custom tack, Hand-painted belts, Jewelry and More . . . CrystalCaballo.com
  • Posse Member
  • Dinosaur!
  • CrystalCaballo.com
    • CrystalCaballo.com
. . . A little advice
« on: May 21, 2008, 12:08:46 PM »
When I was like 19, there was this guy named Keith who wanted to date me.  I had a boyfriend, who Keith knew in passing.  In an effort to gain favor with me, Keith began bad-mouthing the boyfriend and telling me things that he "knew" about him.  I, being the "stand by your man" type of gal, immediately told boyfriend what was being said and a small confrontation ensued.  I remember being really proud of boyfriend when he gave Keith the following advice . . .
"If there is something you want you should go for it, I'm not faulting your for trying to get with her cause obviously she's the s4it.  What I am faulting you for is trying to get with her by doggin me."  and here is the good part . . .
"Sell yourself on your own merits, not my shortcomings."

Later when I was like 24, I had a guy approach me.  I told him I had a boyfriend, and to please not even try to tell me how much better for me he was than the boyfriend I already had.  He proceeded to tell me  "I'll never knock that man, cause I dont' want the next man to knock me."

It all points back to the same thing. 
If you believe in your heart of hearts that you are the best person for the job . . . if you think that you have out-classed, out-ridden, out-worked, and soundly thumped all those who compete against you . . . if you KNOW beyond all reasonable doubts that there is no more qualified man, woman or child to do what you have chosen to do . . . If your s*it don't stink and your breath smells like roses and cinnamon in the morning . . . if your credit is perfect and you've got more money in the bank than you can stand . . . if you are above reproach in all things . . .

Congratulations!  You have reached a pinnacle that only God before you has reached!  I am happy for you and I cheer you in your further successes.

BUT PLEASE!!
IN THE NAME OF ALL THAT IS HOLY!!
DO.
NOT.
DRAG.
MY.
NAME.
THROUGH.
THE.
MUD.
To prove that you are God-like.

Do not pretend to be my friend and talk negatively about me behind my back so that you can feel better about yourself. 

Sell your attributes, not my shortcomings. 
Tout your successes, not what you perceive to be my failures.
Prove your worth, don't attempt to make me seem worthless.

Your negativity will only serve to motivate me.
Your nay saying will only make me work harder.
Your weak attitude will only make my "stick-to-it-tiveness" stronger.

Your pathetic attempt to make yourself feel good will only make you feel worse when I thump your a$$ at the very game you play. 

Just thought I'd put that out there . . .
Some people come into the world and stay for a long time. Others are so powerful that do not have to stay long to change someones life.

Offline PunkinNMe

• Posse Member
  • Dinosaur!
  • CrystalCaballo.com
    • CrystalCaballo.com
Re: . . . A little advice
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2008, 12:12:42 PM »
And .  .  .

As you make the decision that you are in some place to look down upon and judge the up and coming . . . take stock of how well you are REALLY doing?

How are you measuring your own success?

Are you sure you are as far above reproach as you think?

And are you sure that I, the person you percieve to be behind you, am actually behind in the race?

Some people come into the world and stay for a long time. Others are so powerful that do not have to stay long to change someones life.

Offline turnincircles

• Dinosaur!
  • Ebarrelracing.com rocks
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2008, 12:15:14 PM »
Very well said, and good words to live by.  Did something happen that we should know about?  I would certainly not want to be the person who would attempt to battle with you in a war of words that for dang sure!!!
You can go and worry about the competition, and worry whether your horse will work, or whether you've selected the right bridle.  But if you've done your homework, you should be able to go out and just enjoy your ride.---The late cutting horse trainer Greg Ward of Tulare, California.

hardtimeshorses

« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2008, 12:24:56 PM »
Very well said.   :()& 

Offline Txsweetie

• I'm Loving It....
  • Dinosaur!
  • It is what it is..................
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2008, 12:33:08 PM »
 <ROCKON>
Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind.  -Dr. Suess

Offline flyinglow

• Elite Member
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2008, 12:43:16 PM »
I am just flat impressed that at 19 your boyfriend, was able to handle a situation with grace and fire.  Hopefully these words of wisdom will stick with us, because if we just live by this testament, the world would be a less stressful one to live in.  Of course the people who dogg others, and constantly belittle others achievements to promote their own agenda, never can see the tree for the forest.
A woman who wishes to be equal to a man, lacks ambition

Offline PunkinNMe

• Posse Member
  • Dinosaur!
  • CrystalCaballo.com
    • CrystalCaballo.com
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2008, 12:48:29 PM »
Of course the people who dogg others, and constantly belittle others achievements to promote their own agenda, never can see the tree for the forest.

And don't you just want to snatch a branch from the tree and beat them unmercifully about the head and shoulders with it?

That was my first inclination, and then I realized that the best revenge will be my success.

Offline turnincircles

• Dinosaur!
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2008, 12:58:44 PM »
Of course the people who dogg others, and constantly belittle others achievements to promote their own agenda, never can see the tree for the forest.

[font=Verdana]And don't you just want to snatch a branch from the tree and beat them unmercifully about the head and shoulders with it?[/font]
That was my first inclination, and then I realized that the best revenge will be my success.

:ROFL2: :ROFL2: :ROFL2:
Go get'em girl.  You've got success written all over you.  I know I've never met you, but I can just tell.
You can go and worry about the competition, and worry whether your horse will work, or whether you've selected the right bridle.  But if you've done your homework, you should be able to go out and just enjoy your ride.---The late cutting horse trainer Greg Ward of Tulare, California.

Offline Gabe's Babe

• Defender of The Bored!!! Wait, Board???
  • Charter Member
  • Demi-God
    • Rachael's Equine Services
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2008, 01:05:19 PM »
 <ROCKON> <ROCKON> I love it!! Man, oh man...I wish that everyone lived by these rules!!!  <ROCKON> <ROCKON>

Offline Tamet Gould

• Administrator
  • Super Hero
  • I was riding even before I was born!
    • Ebarrelracing.com
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2008, 01:54:16 PM »
You go Ve, I was just fixing to walk out the door when I scrolled down the page and saw your name on it and I HAD to sit down and read it!!!   :ROFL2:
Aut viam inveniam aut faciam - I will either find a way or make one.  "Can't lives on Won't street."

Let us be reminded of what Captain John Parker told his army at Lexington Green, the place where the War for Independence began in 1775. He said, “Stand your ground. Don’t fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war, let it begin here.

Offline Stacieleighmay

• Fossil
  • Me and my roomie Jenni
« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2008, 02:37:46 PM »
I'm glad you wrote this.  It's kinda how I feel about my room mate a lot.
My faith is the evidence of things unseen.
The fear of loss is a path to the dark side.
We ride never worry about the fall...I guess that's just the Cowboy in us all...

Offline Katy Holloway

• Posse Member
  • Fossil
  • My younger days!!!!!
« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2008, 06:05:44 PM »
Very wise words, indeed, Punkin.  Very wise.

I was just thinking this am that we had not heard from you in awhile and was truly hoping you would pop in with something good to tell us.  You did!!!
Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea!

Be exalted, O God, above the heavens; let Your glory be above all the earth!!
Psalm 57:5

Offline candystarbarrels

• Mega Member
  • With God ALL things are possible!
« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2008, 09:46:01 PM »
Very well said. I try not to think that I am any better than anyone. I am not trying to steal your thread, but let me tell you why I live by these very words you wrote. When my daughter was 2 months old, she had to have surgery. She had it at Childrens Medical Center in Dallas. Surgery went great, and we got to go home the same day. Of course as we left the hospital we lock the car doors, cause we are in Dallas. The first red light we come to there is a guy standing in the median. My first thought was oh great. He comes up to the car on my husbands side and asks for a cigarette. My husband cracks the window a little more and gives him one. He says, Thanks, and by the way I watched over your daughter today. The man had no way of knowing where we had come from, or that my baby was a girl, because her carseat was green. He could not even see her from where he was. So, when you judge or belittle people you might be careful, cause you never know whether you are doing the judging or being judged. Thanks sorry for the long story. Punkin I love reading your thoughts. They make me think for days and days. About the time I quit thinking about one, you write something new. :TIGGER:
As long as you can't imagine it, as long as you can't see it, then it is not going to happen for you!

Offline Gabe's Babe

• Defender of The Bored!!! Wait, Board???
  • Charter Member
  • Demi-God
    • Rachael's Equine Services
« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2008, 09:59:08 PM »
 <..> <..> It seems that all those years of my Dad's famous phrases seem to hold true..."Life is all about attitude" "When some one cuts you down it is because they are jealous" "Chin up, there is always another opportunity right around the corner" "Keep your friends close and your enemies closer" "There is always someone in the relationship that loves more, just better that you are the one who loves more" "You can do anything you put your mind too no matter who or what is standing in your way" "Dont burn bridges unless you have another way home" "Life is about networking, keep your eyes open and connect with everyone you can and you will make it in life"

>THUD< >THUD< >THUD< >THUD< >THUD< >THUD< >THUD< >THUD< >THUD< >THUD< >THUD< >THUD< >THUD< >THUD< I guess we all have to take a step back and realize that our parents were right!!!  :((((
Candystar~ Great story!!!!

Offline Gena Brent

• Elite Member
  • Chasin my tail!
« Reply #14 on: May 22, 2008, 08:56:40 AM »
Punkin - I'm anxiously awaiting your first book!  You got some major wisdom in your soul, thanks much for sharing.  I couldn't agree with you more.

Candystar - Goosebumps!   And a major reminder of the fact that we never really know just exactly who we are talking to. 

When I was thinking through my goals for this year, I made it my mission to try smile(genuinely) at everyone, without passing any form of judgement until it was actually necessary.  It's amazing how that simple act has helped me to enjoy every situation, regardless of when, where or why.