8am - 6pm
Event Info Click Here

Online Entries are Open
Printable Entry Form
Event Info Click Here

Online Entries Open April 14
Event Info Click Here

Online Entries are Open

Author Topic: PRAYERS FOR JOSIES JOCKEY (KAYLA LANGFORD)  (Read 30458 times)

Offline josies jockey

• Fossil
  • The WORD works for those who work the WORD!!
Re: PRAYERS FOR JOSIES JOCKEY (KAYLA LANGFORD)
« Reply #90 on: June 02, 2008, 07:49:36 PM »
Ok guys need your opinion.... last wed when the vet called and said Woody was in really bad shape,  I told her to put him down... she called back and said she wasn't ready to give up on him...????? Ok, the bill on Thursday was around $800.... Ok, great like I'm made of money this week.... I told them NO HEROIC MEASURES!!  If he took a turn for the worse.. Put him down....if he had anymore of the seizures put him down... she told me she was just going to monitor him ... maybe some antibiotics maybe pain meds.. ok... when the other vet called on Saturday a hour after Moms funeral and told me they lost him... he died, they didn't put him down... today I call to see what the damages were.........  $1500...........they didn't bury him Aunt B came and got him Saturday night... My question is.... How is monitoring him for 3 days costing $700? I said no heroic measures and the vet (different one from thursday)  told me saturday he started acting colicky so she tubed him and gave pain meds and treated him for a colic..... is my mind just in a crooked place due to this week?  that sounds heroic to me?  I just don't think thats right... but my thinking process is not clear this week.. I was not ready to start an argument with them today.. I asked Aunt B to go talk to the original vet because she has been the one speaking to her twice a day or more since Woody had been there...  Am I in left field on this?
Horse Trader Exstrodinare... One of the only people you will ever meet with their own bag of PIXIE DUST...

Offline memphis

• Mega Member
  • Ebarrelracing.com rocks
« Reply #91 on: June 02, 2008, 08:07:50 PM »
JJ it's just my opinion but it sounds like they screwed up....the minute he started to act colicky or taking a turn for the worse they already had your orders and that was no heroic measures......treating for colic in my book constitues heroic measures.  I think I'd give it a few days and then go in and talk to the vet that treated him or whomever is the lead/owner of the vet clinic.  You should be able to get them to reduce this bill and if not, set it up on payments and pay $10 a month.  Can't do anything to you if you pay each month.

Offline hnhfarms

• Veteran Member
  • Guys Easy Jet (Frenchmans GuyxShakeme Easy)
« Reply #92 on: June 03, 2008, 07:28:09 AM »
How long was Woody actually at the clinic????   Sometimes I think when you call and ask...where abouts is my bill $$$ at this time...they give you an approximate amount...or this is what always seems to happen to me...and I know you told them no Heroic Measures....but to them that does not seem heroic....if it was only a few main meds and a tubing....don't get mad at me...
HNH Farms
Home of World Champion
Specialeyes APHA and Guys Easy Jet AQHA
     www.hnhfarms.com

Offline up the middle

• Mega Member
« Reply #93 on: June 03, 2008, 09:48:41 AM »
no, i dont think your in left field.  I would go talk to them when you had the chance.  I think they would be willing to work with you knowing what you have been going thru this past week.  If no, like someone said, pay them $10 a month.  What can they do????
Dont blame me, I voted for the other guy

Offline hnhfarms

• Veteran Member
« Reply #94 on: June 03, 2008, 10:59:56 AM »
Well, If I were you, I would at least talk to the main vet and ask for a break down of all the charges that incurred while Woody was there.  And then maybe you can work out a payment arrangement that will work for both of you....or like above you can pay the $10.00 per month till paid off..(that will take awhile)...and then what happens if you need his office again or word gets out your not paying in a timely matter to the other vet offices....not wanting to step on anyones toes or get anyone mad at me...but you have to see their side also....
HNH Farms
Home of World Champion
     www.hnhfarms.com

Offline josies jockey

• Fossil
« Reply #95 on: June 03, 2008, 06:21:43 PM »
Well I spoke to the vet clinic today... they couldn't understand the confusion about the bill.... but they did talk to the owner/vet of the clinic and he waived his original fee's from Saturday, Sunday of $278.. well that helps a little...so instead of $1500 its only $1200..... I am usually quick to ask how much stuff costs but somehow this slipped through the cracks or at least some mis comunication...  minimal care was $125 per day... thank goodness it wasnt critical care...

And yes Sally that worried me also... what if I need a vet trip with another horse.. you know how these guys can be.. you try to keep them safe and well but you never know.....
« Last Edit: June 03, 2008, 06:24:21 PM by josies jockey »
Horse Trader Exstrodinare... One of the only people you will ever meet with their own bag of PIXIE DUST...

Offline hnhfarms

• Veteran Member
« Reply #96 on: June 03, 2008, 07:29:00 PM »
Kayla, I was not trying to make anyone mad at me...and again my prayers are with you, and I am glad that they reduced your bill.  I know how these horses are trying to find a way to get hurt...last week my yearling punctured the side of his mouth through and through so rushed him to the vet for stitches....vet did a wonderful job sewing inside and out...only to go out a few days later to see the little ----- rubbed all the outer stitches out...so now he just has to heal...then to day I go out..and his left front knee is swollen up the whole inside of the upper leg....he stuck it somewhere he should not have and puncture wound in it above the knee on the inside...glad it is only just a small one just looks worse than it is..... my mom always tell me they are just looking for a place to get hurt..no matter how safe we try and keep them....
HNH Farms
Home of World Champion
     www.hnhfarms.com

Offline nbha4Dqueen

« Reply #97 on: June 03, 2008, 09:21:42 PM »
 (((((((HUGS))))))))i know this verry hard for u now mabey when you can go talk to the vet in person take someone with you sometimes that helps surely they know what all u have been thru. i still want us all to pull together and do something for you i will do all i can to help. people lets get this started

Offline Wrap3

• Extreme Member
« Reply #98 on: June 03, 2008, 09:50:13 PM »
Just speaking from a recent experience with a horse that I had to put down due to colic (rare form that caused organs to shut down) I know that everytime the vet hangs a bag of fluids it is 200 dollars. Not sure if Woody was on them but guessing he most likely was. Also I know I spent several days checking the bill before he made aturn for the worse and the figure that they gave me was from 24 hours before. They are constantly  hanging fluids and meds so they don't figure until that night. I spent 2500 and had to put him down. I understand! I was also fortunate enough to have a honest vet who straight up told me he is never going to get any better only worse as soon as he relapsed.I think that should be a requirement. Sorry for your loss and we will continue to pray for you. Hang in there!

Offline josies jockey

• Fossil
« Reply #99 on: June 03, 2008, 10:25:40 PM »
Just speaking from a recent experience with a horse that I had to out down due to colic (rare form that caused organs to shut down) I know that everytime the vet hangs a bag of fluids it is 200 dollars. Not sure if Woody was on them but guessing he most likely was. Also I know I spent several days checking the bill before he made aturn for the worse and the figure that they gave me was from 24 hours before. They are constantly  hanging fluids and meds so they don't figure until that night. I spent 2500 and had to put him down. I understand! I was also fortunate enough to have a honest vet who straight up told me he is never going to get any better only worse as soon as he relapsed.I think that should be a requirement. Sorry for your loss and we will continue to pray for you. Hang in there!

No Woody never had any fluids or plasma or anything.... I belive they were giving him some pain meds and maybe some antibiotics but not sure of that... IF, IF someone had told me an injury like this is could be life threatning I may would have done this diffrently.. I was under the impression (my fault) that he would stay  over the holiday weekend and then I could take over his care at home on monday... was lead to believe this was not a big deal... but of course with my luck this week... NOT!!  I am quick to question the amount of vet bills due to the high cost of everything these days.... I am likely at fault here because my mind was not thinking clearly... I am just sick he had to suffer, and by the sounds of what his stall looked like there he did suffer... maybe the last vet was just not notified if he took a turn for the worse  (which I would think colicy would be a turn) to put him down... Somehow I will get through this bump, well speed bump..... heck this could be a trench in the road...

Offline irlucky

• Elite Member
  • Ebarrelracing.com rocks
« Reply #100 on: June 04, 2008, 12:23:17 AM »
Kayla, just my 2 cents, but it sounds like they are at fault here.  If his stall looked like you say, then what measures were they taking.  He could have done the same thing at your home.  I had a filly that coliced one Sat night at 11, the vet came out and immediately asked about surgery, I said, no.  She gave her some pain meds, oiled her and left.  The next morning she took a bad turn, so I hauled her to the office.  They began administering fluid and more pain meds, and told me to go home and rest.  About 30 minutes later, they called and said she took a turn for the worse.  My dad just arrived back home and went and got her.  She lived.  They wanted to put her down, and I am sure glad he brought her home.  Sometimes, I think vets get caught in a no win situation and really don't know what to do.  I would stand firm on my statement of what I asked for and take someone (maybe Aunt B) with you to try and have the fees further reduced. 
I still have you in my prayers,
Pam

Offline speedracer123

• Novice Member
« Reply #101 on: June 04, 2008, 01:31:22 PM »
I work for a vet clinic and I don't think any of you should be bad-mouthing the veterinarian without hearing their side of the story first.

Offline josies jockey

• Fossil
« Reply #102 on: June 04, 2008, 09:08:36 PM »
I work for a vet clinic and I don't think any of you should be bad-mouthing the veterinarian without hearing their side of the story first.

No one is bad mouthing a vet in particular.... this whole thing was a miscommunication on everyones part...there are lots of good vets out there... this clinic included..and there are lots of BAD vets out there... that is why we choose what vet we use... this clinic is a good one with several top notch vets on the payroll.... but we as consumers need to be aware of charges  and not go blindly into care or treatment because you WILL get an expensive surprise when its all over.... I got the bill today and there are several charges for treatment that I have a hard time understanding why they would have used these drugs and I will call tomorrow and question

Offline gbacres

• Super Hero
« Reply #103 on: June 04, 2008, 09:29:50 PM »
Yup, it can be very expensive when one gets sick.  When Brim died I used the local vet and we didn't do anything elaborate and it was $ 230 the first day and then $1200 the next including the autopsy that we had to perform because of the insurance.  Thank god I had and have  insurance cause if one gets sick you know the bill will be paid..................I was able to get another horse too and not come up with any money.  Good Luck with your bill................... :TIGGER: :TIGGER:
www.gbacres.fws1.com/index.html

I'd rather be a "has been" than "a never been at all."

Offline Trouble n Texs

• Elite Member
« Reply #104 on: June 04, 2008, 10:24:07 PM »
WHAT ARE YOU DOING UP AND ON,YOU NEVER CALLED ME BACK,DID YOU SEE THE NEWS OF WHO WE WILL POSSIBLY HAVE AS A VICE PRESIDENT..... <()> <()> <()>
FRIENDS ARE LIKE A TREE,SOME ARE LIKE THE ROOTS OF THE TREE ALWAYS STANDING SOLID W/U...OTHERS ARE LIKE THE LEAVES OF THE TREE THEY GO ALL DIRECTIONS WHEN THE WIND BLOWS,AND OTHERS ARE LIKE THE STUFF U USE TO FERTILIZE THE TREE........FULL OF $@^* !!!!