8am - 6pm
Event Info Click Here

Online Entries are Open
Printable Entry Form
Event Info Click Here

Online Entries Open April 14
Event Info Click Here

Online Entries are Open

Author Topic: Need Some Prayers Please!!!!!!!!!!!!!  (Read 11366 times)

Offline trickyricky

• Mega Member
Need Some Prayers Please!!!!!!!!!!!!!
« on: June 09, 2008, 09:35:20 PM »
First things first. A couple of weeks ago I noticed that Ricky's hind legs were swollen. Of course this was when I was going to start riding him in the mornings before work  <IMSOMAD>  Anyway I did ride him the next morning just light work lots of walking and trotting. His legs looked much better after our ride. I thought well they're ok. No they weren't I got home that evening and his legs were swollen to his hocks. His legs looked like the elephant man. They were solid all the way down. So I gave him 2 grams of bute and hydro-ed his legs. That didn't work so the next day I sprayed his legs with DMSO. Still didn't work so I still hydro-ed his legs then put Ice Tight on them and sprayed him with the Green Alcohol mix I got from GB. Still didn't work. Now I am feeling really bad because I don't know what to do, but if I work him in the round pen or ride him lightly at a walk or trot the swelling goes down. Well my husband worked up the arena for me on Sunday so I took Ricky over there and lightly worked him. His legs looked good after I worked him. I noticed something else before I rode. His nose looked a little chapped from the sun. So when I got him home I hosed him off cleaned his nose up and put some Bull Frog and aloe gel on his nose. That night I put him in the pen with a shed. It has trees so it stays shaded all day. Well his nose got worse all week and his legs never went down, so I called the vet he gave me this cream to put on it, and mixed up some DMSO and Dex to put on his legs. I started to do that and his nose looks so good now and his legs look terrible. I went to the lake with my family this weekend and it's only 20 min. from the house so I came back and forth to treat him. Well he was looking great and I though I was knocking it out. I got home Sunday and he walked out from under the shed and his legs were all bloody and looked like someone had pealed the skin off of his legs. I called the vet he came out and we started putting the same cream I am putting on his nose on his legs. Hopefully he will get better. His hind legs are white like his nose and the vet believes he has gotten into a weed that has made his white pigmented skin very sensitive to sunlight. Since Saturday he has been wearing a fly mask with a nose flap. That has helped. I have had him in the pen with the shed and now he is under my unfinished barn. I took my round pen apart to make him a stall under there. Please pray for me that this gets better soon. I don't know how much more I can take. I feel so sorry for him. They vet came and took some blood from him tonight. I'm getting some blood work done. I will keep you posted. I am going to post pictures up here so you can see what I have been dealing with for about 2 weeks. It looks really bad on his nose, but that's better now and his legs have gotten worse.

Offline Gabe's Babe

• Defender of The Bored!!! Wait, Board???
  • Charter Member
  • Demi-God
    • Rachael's Equine Services
Re: Need Some Prayers Please!!!!!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2008, 09:38:22 PM »
 <(' ')> <(' ')> <(' ')> Many Prayers for you and Ricky. I have never seen anything like it other than when someone put some liniment on a horse who was allergic....This is just really weird... <(' ')> <(' ')> <(' ')> <(' ')> <(' ')>

Offline trickyricky

• Mega Member
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2008, 09:45:16 PM »
Here are more pics. The ones of his legs with he hair missing happend sometme yesterday.

Offline trickyricky

• Mega Member
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2008, 09:47:18 PM »
I just got in and wanted everyone to know why I haven't been on in a while or going anywhere this is why. Well I am going to get off for a little bit and go eat. I will be back on in a little bit.

Offline Gabe's Babe

• Charter Member
  • Demi-God
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2008, 09:48:48 PM »
 (((((((HUGS)))))))) (((((((HUGS)))))))) (((((((HUGS)))))))) (((((((HUGS)))))))) (((((((HUGS)))))))) (((((((HUGS)))))))) (((((((HUGS))))))))

Offline mchoss

• Queen of the Cookies
  • Posse Member
  • Mega Member
  • Massage: It does a body good!
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2008, 09:54:24 PM »
HOLY SMOKES! Hugs to you both! Lestat had a VERY light version of what it looks like Ricky has for several years in the spring. But his legs never get like that in size. I was told to use diaper rash ointment like Desitin. I didn't because the stuff is so danged greasy. I was told by a few old time horse people Lestat had "dew rot" basically a fungus in his skin. I never saw any signs of it once we moved up here. But his lips used to blister up something awful when we lived in the Rio Grande Valley. His legs never got that bad. The hair thinned but he didn't lose patches of hair nor was his skin so raw and legs so swollen.

Fingers crossed you all get it figured out quick. Lestat hated for me to mess with his mouth when it got bad, so I know it has to be very uncomfortable and with all that raw skin I'd think Ricky would be more suceptable to infections and such.
Live your life in such a way that when your feet hit the floor in the morning, Satan shudders and says....

'Oh $@^*....she's awake!!!'

Offline Txsweetie

• I'm Loving It....
  • Dinosaur!
  • It is what it is..................
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2008, 09:58:03 PM »
I have heard of dew rot before.  It looks very much like that.  Prayers for you and Ricky.   <(' ')>
Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind.  -Dr. Suess

Offline ~Kara Elaine~

• check out my site! www.smokeminstyle.com
  • Dinosaur!
  • my B52 Bomber
    • smokem in style performance horses
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2008, 09:59:19 PM »
ouch... never seen anything like it! Poor guy!  i bet he is hurting... many prayers for his speedy recovery and to lessen his pain!
A fool and their money, soon have more horse than they can handle

Offline gbacres

• Super Hero
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2008, 10:01:20 PM »
I haven't seen anything like that either..............Hope all goes well for you and your pony................Thanks for sharing.................... (((((((HUGS)))))))) (((((((HUGS))))))))
www.gbacres.fws1.com/index.html

I'd rather be a "has been" than "a never been at all."

Offline trickyricky

• Mega Member
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2008, 10:09:26 PM »
Thanks for all the prayer I know I will need all the help I can get. His nose doesn't look like that anymore. It looks really good. I will post pics of it tomorrow. It's pinck and the hair is already growing back. The only thing I am fighting now is his legs. I will be back on tomorrow. I am really tired and need to go to bed. My internet keeps disconnecting me.  :! Darn Dial up  <DUMMY ME>

Offline Gabe's Babe

• Charter Member
  • Demi-God
« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2008, 10:11:32 PM »
I guess the antihistamine's or what ever is kicking in.... <COLOR GRIN>

Offline Txsweetie

• I'm Loving It....
  • Dinosaur!
  • It is what it is..................
« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2008, 10:16:33 PM »
I think it is actually called dew poisoning.
Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind.  -Dr. Suess

Offline trickyricky

• Mega Member
« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2008, 10:19:44 PM »
I guess it has. His nose is just about back to normal. Like I said I will post those tomorrow. By the time I got done with him today and cleaning his stall and getting him a new water bucket because the one that was in there has some secret whole in it that I can't find. LOL I just put a water trauff in there. LOL Couldn't find anything else. LOL Anyway going to bed now. Good night.  :see-ya:

Offline Gabe's Babe

• Charter Member
  • Demi-God
« Reply #13 on: June 09, 2008, 10:24:04 PM »
 :see-ya: I hate mystery holes!!! :see-ya:

Offline CHANCEYSMOM

• Elite Member
« Reply #14 on: June 09, 2008, 10:25:32 PM »
Just a thought get your vet to give you a tube of silvadean(not sure how to spell) they use it on burn patients we are using it on a BAD wound to regrow the tissue.
Good People and Best Friends are found on ebarrel horse.