8am - 6pm
Event Info Click Here

Online Entries are Closed
Printable Entry Form
Event Info Click Here

Online Entries are Open!
Event Info Click Here

Online Entries Open April 1

Author Topic: Benjamin's Early July 2008 update  (Read 7610 times)

Offline Tamet Gould

• Administrator
  • Super Hero
  • I was riding even before I was born!
    • Ebarrelracing.com
Benjamin's Early July 2008 update
« on: July 04, 2008, 11:03:33 AM »
Wuuuuuw, thank God, we just finished the 4th round of Flagyl on Wed and started him back on Zithromycin.   He is like Dr Jekyl and Mr Hyde on the Vanderbilt protocol (Zithromycin/Flagyl).   Geez......   I finally figured out on this round of Flagyl that I need to keep him in a state of diareaha (sp?).   If not he becomes constipated and EVERYONE in the house has hell to pay!  Interesting side note...   When he is on Flagyl he toe walks and when he is on Zithromycin, he walks flatfooted.   The difference in behavior is like night and day.   Thur morning when he got up I gave him the Zithromycin and within an hr or 2 he is a different person.   He wanted me to swim with him, he came back to get me in the living room to tell me to put him to bed.    He was Dr Jekyl yesterday and slept until 10:12 this morning.   Praise God!!!!!  He is back to sleeping so I guess I will reduce his amount of Melatonin from 3 mg to 1 & 1/2 or maybe just take it out of his regime completely, we will see.

Now for the good stuff....

He has been doing great, the more responsibility and things we give him to do the better he acts.   You probably dont realize this but with a baby you do LOTS of the simple tasks involved in an activity.   For instance brushing your teeth; you open the cabinet, get your toothbrush and toothpaste, turn on the water, wet your toothbrush, put the toothpaste on your toothbrush, brush your teeth, rinse your toothbrush, turn off the water, put your toothbrush and toothpaste back in the cabinet.   Now for a little kid you do most of those steps for them for a time.   Well we have been doing them for 13yrs for Ben and now we have started turning a lot of those steps over to him because he is showing that he understands the sequencing of the activity and is wanting to do some of it himself.

Now in the last month (June) we have started to see some CONSISTANT things that are very exciting.....  For one he is starting to pester us, bringing his clothes, shoes, combs etc to help him get dressed to go (whether it is get in the truck, go mow or go swim etc).   He is getting into ALLLLLLLLLL the cabinets and into EVERYTHING (He is driving me crazy but at least I dont have far to go)!!!!!  He has dumped 2 or 3 of my bottles of Lavendar oil in the washer or down the sink (any of you how buy natural oils know they arent CHEAP), he has dumped several of his organic shampoos down the drain and numerous other things (my hair is getting thinner by the moment).   BUT!!!!!!!!!, we are VERY EXCITED to see all this because that is a natural development for a growing mind.   He understands darn near everythying I tell him and is getting very willing to do LOTS of things for himself and ENJOYING it.   For instance; he carries his own dirty clothes to the washer, he puts his own glasses and plates in the sink without being told now, he opens and closes his own car door, he is learning to put the camode lid down himself (I obviously havent trained Bob and Joseph well enough to do that so I decided to teach Ben to put the lid down  rofl felt he would be easier of the 3) and tons of other things.   He knows he has to go find his swimming trunks to put on BEFORE he gets in the pool, he knows he has to go hang them to let them dry outside, he is learning to close the house door behind himself if he is the last one out and on and on and on.   I am very excited!!!!!!   :TIGGER:  I love all these normal behaviors!!!!!    :TIGGER: :look: :TIGGER: :TIGGER:

The new therapy we went to in June in Austin I dont think is going to pan out for Ben, we carried him one time and he quit literally destroyed the room.   It was funny but it wasnt..........   <EXCUSE ME?>

Now the REALLY COOL thing about all these normal behaviors is that I havent had to show him more than 2 or 3 times how to do them.   Cool huh???   I guess the big turning point is that I decided if I wouldnt let Joseph get by with it, or I wouldnt do that for Joseph or I wouldnt let Joseph get by with that, should I let Benjamin?   Well hell no and it has made SUCH a difference in how we handle him when you ask yourself those questions.   

Anyway, dont get me wrong the non complience has risen with his skills but I have ABA therapy to help us keep that in control so we are doing great for a change and things are looking up.   Benjamin is becoming more independent and we are doing our darndest to help him acheive that. 

Will get back with yall later this month and let you know how things are going.   We go back to Dr Stewart the beginning of August and Im excited to see what else he has up his sleeve for Benjamin.   Guess I will put that next round of Flagyl out of my mind, otherwise it will ruin all the good things that come with the 21 days of Zithromycin.    :)/\\
Aut viam inveniam aut faciam - I will either find a way or make one.  "Can't lives on Won't street."

Let us be reminded of what Captain John Parker told his army at Lexington Green, the place where the War for Independence began in 1775. He said, “Stand your ground. Don’t fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war, let it begin here.

Offline melaself

• Global Moderator
  • Fossil
  • Ebarrelracing.com rocks
Re: Benjamin's Early July 2008 update
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2008, 08:04:46 AM »
Maybe you should put Ben in charge of teaching Bob and Joseph proper toilet ettiquite.  :ROFL2:    :ROFL2:  :ROFL2:  :ROFL2:

Offline Tamet Gould

• Administrator
  • Super Hero
    • Ebarrelracing.com
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2008, 04:27:53 PM »
I dont think that is something that Ben could accomplish with them.   :ROFL2:
Aut viam inveniam aut faciam - I will either find a way or make one.  "Can't lives on Won't street."

Let us be reminded of what Captain John Parker told his army at Lexington Green, the place where the War for Independence began in 1775. He said, “Stand your ground. Don’t fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war, let it begin here.

Offline Katy Holloway

• Posse Member
  • Fossil
  • My younger days!!!!!
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2008, 07:03:56 PM »
Glad to hear about Ben.

Maybe 1 out of 3 isn't to bad of a record.  After all, you weren't really responsible for Bob's upbringing and training.  So really you are 50/50!!   :()&
Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea!

Be exalted, O God, above the heavens; let Your glory be above all the earth!!
Psalm 57:5

Offline Tamet Gould

• Administrator
  • Super Hero
    • Ebarrelracing.com
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2008, 07:54:57 PM »
 roflmao

Offline Bob Gould

• Tamet's Husband
  • Administrator
  • Super Hero
    • Texas Rustic Elegance
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2008, 11:08:47 PM »
I remember to pick it up surely you can remember to put in down.
This came to me while chopping wood the other day. You've heard don't sweat the small stuff. I say save it for later and use it for kindling

Offline Tamet Gould

• Administrator
  • Super Hero
    • Ebarrelracing.com
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2008, 06:41:27 AM »
Next time I will make sure Ben comes and gives you a big ole hug and grabs your face after he has sat on the pot with the lid up and used his hands to keep from falling in.    <()>

Offline Bob Gould

• Tamet's Husband
  • Administrator
  • Super Hero
    • Texas Rustic Elegance
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2008, 04:43:44 AM »
 :)
This came to me while chopping wood the other day. You've heard don't sweat the small stuff. I say save it for later and use it for kindling