8am - 6pm
Event Info Click Here

Online Entries are Open
Printable Entry Form
Event Info Click Here

Online Entries Open April 14
Event Info Click Here

Online Entries are Open

Author Topic: WE NEED KITTEH"S!!!!! Here ya go....  (Read 10404 times)

Offline LeLamb051772

• Dinosaur!
    • Double RR Quarter Horses
WE NEED KITTEH"S!!!!! Here ya go....
« on: October 13, 2008, 10:36:39 AM »
What the crap??????

(CNN) -- Public school officials in Chicago, Illinois, are recommending approval of a "gay-friendly" high school because harassment and violence are causing gay students to skip class and drop out at alarming rates.

School officials say the proposed school would offer a welcoming, harassment-free environment for gay students.

1 of 2  The School for Social Justice Pride Campus, which officials say will not be exclusive to lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender students, is aimed at being safe and welcoming for any student looking for another school option, said Josh Edelman, executive officer in the Chicago Public Schools' Office of New Schools.

"It is not going to be a 'gay high school,' but yes, in a way, it is meant to target kids who feel they have been victims of bullying for their sexual orientation or perceived orientation," Edelman said.

Chicago Public Schools CEO Arne Duncan announced his recommendation Wednesday. Officials said Pride Campus would be separate physically but be attached administratively to the School for Social Justice.

School officials said the standards and curriculum for the school would be in line with other schools in the district. The school would also offer counseling for students, though because of federal laws, officials cannot ask students about their sexual orientation. The curriculum would not rely on, but would incorporate lessons about, sexual identity in history and literature classes, officials said.

"It's about creating another option for kids," Edelman said. "When it comes down to it, though, it is all about having a choice and providing high-quality options for students, whether they are gay or not."

The school could be a lifeline for students who are struggling for academic success.
iReport.com: Are you in a similar situation? Share your story

Gay and lesbian students are three times more likely to miss school because they feel unsafe, according to a 2003 Chicago Public School District survey. And a study released Wednesday by the Gay, Lesbian and Straight Education Network showed similar trends across the country.  Is this the best solution? »

The national study, which the group says is the most comprehensive report ever on the experiences of lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender students nationwide, found that 86.2 percent of those students reported being verbally harassed, 44.1 percent physically harassed and 22.1 percent physically assaulted at school in the past year because of their sexual orientation.

This harassment, the study concludes, has affected students' ability to achieve success in school, causing their grade-point level to be, on average, half a point lower than that of heterosexual students nationwide.

Don't Miss
In Hollywood, sexuality is less secret, still can be big deal
Actor: More positive portrayals of gays, lesbians needed
Dropout levels are higher among lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender students because of more frequent truancy, the study found. Almost 32 percent of those students missed a class because of feeling unsafe, compared with only 5.5 percent of heterosexual students nationwide, the study said.

Truancy and lower grades aren't the only repercussions of anti-gay sentiments in schools, said Kevin Jennings, the founder and executive director of GLSEN. He cited the killing of Lawrence King, a 15-year-old student shot by a classmate in Oxnard, California, in February after King asked to be his valentine.

Jennings said the repercussions of harassment alone underscore the need for Pride Campus.

"If we keep doing nothing, we are going to keep getting these horrifying levels of harassment, greater rates of skipping, not going to college and more tragic violence like the murder of Lawrence King," he said. "Those are our choices. We can continue to do nothing, and we know the results, or we can save young people's lives and offer them an education and a future."

A similar school in New York, the Harvey Milk High School in the East Village, was created because of similar fears.

The school, which had been around since 1985, serving gay and lesbian students, expanded to a "gay-themed" school for 100 students in 2003. The Pride Campus is expected to serve 600 students, school officials said.

Harvey Milk High School, like the Pride Campus, is open to all students regardless of sexual orientation. But unlike the proposed school in Chicago, Harvey Milk requires its attendees to be at risk of dropping out because of harassment.

Harvey Milk boasts a graduation rate of 95 percent of its students -- all of whom were at risk of or had dropped out -- well above the city average of 52 percent.

When the school opened its doors, protesters, led by anti-gay Kansas minister Fred Phelps, screamed at supporters gathered outside to repent for their "sodomite behavior."

Edelman said that while some concerns have been raised about Pride Campus at community meetings, officials have not heard any large-scale opposition.

One Chicago resident said at a meeting that he could not support the school because of his religious beliefs, Edelman said. Others told local media they didn't support the use of public money to create the school. Some thought that if gay students went to the Pride Campus, students in other schools would not learn to accept the gay community. Instead, they suggested, the focus should be working toward acceptance in all schools.

"Absolutely, we should work for [acceptance] across the board," said Jennings, the GLSEN executive director. "But it's not going to change overnight, and in the meantime, these kids aren't going to graduate."

Jennings said that GLSEN research shows acceptance among peers is helped by having a lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender support group at school.

« Last Edit: October 22, 2008, 02:59:21 PM by LeLamb051772 »
When you kneel before the Lord, you can stand before anything

Offline Farel

• DOUBLE BLESSED
  • Fossil
  • Peppys Sashay Beau
Re: HOLD ON TO YOUR BOOTS! EWWWW
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2008, 10:40:42 AM »
ewwwww is right!!!!! :nahnah:
R.I.P BELLE (JULY 1994/OCTOBER 20,2008)
SWEET THING

I was one of the winners for the FINISH LINE HORSE PRODUCT $500 drawing for March 2008

Offline Trouble n Texs

• Elite Member
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2008, 11:09:13 AM »
ewwwww is right!!!!! :nahnah:

WHAT IS EWWWW ABOUT THIS? SOME OF YOU PEOPLE NEVER SEEM TO AMAZE ME.......ALWAYS TYPING B4 THINKING AND JUMPING ON A BAND WAGON (XXX) (XXX)
I CAN SEE I WILL HAVE SOME FUN WITH THI POST >:D >:D
FRIENDS ARE LIKE A TREE,SOME ARE LIKE THE ROOTS OF THE TREE ALWAYS STANDING SOLID W/U...OTHERS ARE LIKE THE LEAVES OF THE TREE THEY GO ALL DIRECTIONS WHEN THE WIND BLOWS,AND OTHERS ARE LIKE THE STUFF U USE TO FERTILIZE THE TREE........FULL OF $@^* !!!!

Offline up the middle

• Mega Member
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2008, 11:11:32 AM »
Funny you should post this today.  Our pastor just spoke about Homosexuality yesterday at church.
Dont blame me, I voted for the other guy

Offline LeLamb051772

• Dinosaur!
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2008, 11:20:10 AM »
TNT....a dear friend of my family was gay......there is no bandwagon, at least not on my part....I simply posted a story that was on CNN about the subject....and I do not agree with a school strictly for homosexuals.....isn't that segregation???

Offline debhorses

• letz get this party!!!!!
  • Posse Member
  • Super Hero
  • Ebarrelracing.com rocks
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2008, 11:23:49 AM »
well they make special schools for smart kids and they make special schools for dumb kides, they make special schools for hoodlums and special schools for special kids...........
can't wait till May!!!

Offline vlpoag

• Dinosaur!
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2008, 11:27:00 AM »
 go get em tnt Take that!
"LET HIM RUN"

Offline LeLamb051772

• Dinosaur!
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2008, 11:31:57 AM »
And if that is the case, why don't we make schools for people who strictly like people with blonde hair, or brown hair, or red hair......There are ALOT of differences between us and we can't "separate" everyone because they get offended...we all get offended at one time or another........

Offline debhorses

• letz get this party!!!!!
  • Posse Member
  • Super Hero
  • Ebarrelracing.com rocks
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2008, 11:33:28 AM »
hey i went to nun school....wanna know the rest of the story...heheheh  :cheeze:
can't wait till May!!!

Offline Tamet Gould

• Administrator
  • Super Hero
  • I was riding even before I was born!
    • Ebarrelracing.com
« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2008, 11:42:49 AM »
Just more dumbing down of the system.   Thank God I home school mine.   <(::)>
Aut viam inveniam aut faciam - I will either find a way or make one.  "Can't lives on Won't street."

Let us be reminded of what Captain John Parker told his army at Lexington Green, the place where the War for Independence began in 1775. He said, “Stand your ground. Don’t fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war, let it begin here.

Offline LeLamb051772

• Dinosaur!
« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2008, 11:45:22 AM »
I just feel like if we keep "segregating" that no one is going to learn how to deal with eachother and with life happenings in general....that was my point

Offline PunkinNMe

• Custom tack, Hand-painted belts, Jewelry and More . . . CrystalCaballo.com
  • Posse Member
  • Dinosaur!
  • CrystalCaballo.com
    • CrystalCaballo.com
« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2008, 11:48:42 AM »
The difference between a school for Gay, Lesbian and Transender students . . . and a school for Blondes is that typically persecution for being blonde doesn't typically end with physical violence and even murder.

There is abosultely nothing wrong with trying to protect these students, whether the threat is real or percieved they are not going to school because they feel threatened.  Someone should take care of those children, whether they are gay or straight (that you know of).  Their parents pay taxes for public schools too, as do many gay and lesbian people and couples, some of whom don't have children but their tax dollars pay for straight (that you know of) kids to go to school.

The day that a Gay man or woman can say, I don't want my tax dollars supporting the education of heterosexual (that you know of) children and have his or her tax dollars go where they want them to go, is the day that someone else should be able to say I don't want my tax dollars supporting the protection and education of gay and lesbian students.  But that's not an option, THANK GOD, in this great democratic society that we are all a part of.  Those gay and lesbian children (actually or percieved) ARE in fact a part of it though, and they deserve protection and education as much as any straight child does.

It's not segregation because it's a choice.  You can choose to go to this school, and as I understand the article straight children can also make that choice as well . . .
Some people come into the world and stay for a long time. Others are so powerful that do not have to stay long to change someones life.

Offline Tamet Gould

• Administrator
  • Super Hero
  • I was riding even before I was born!
    • Ebarrelracing.com
« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2008, 11:54:55 AM »
then the solution would be for those paying school taxes in that district to throw a fit saying that they dont want their money paying for a separatist school.    I sure as hell wouldnt.   Its pretty sad that a government run and funded system has to be concerned about protecting those under that system rather than worry more about educating them.   I think the concept of education in the public realm has gotten way off base.   
Aut viam inveniam aut faciam - I will either find a way or make one.  "Can't lives on Won't street."

Let us be reminded of what Captain John Parker told his army at Lexington Green, the place where the War for Independence began in 1775. He said, “Stand your ground. Don’t fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war, let it begin here.

Offline LeLamb051772

• Dinosaur!
« Reply #13 on: October 13, 2008, 11:59:33 AM »
I agree

Offline Farel

• DOUBLE BLESSED
  • Fossil
  • Peppys Sashay Beau
« Reply #14 on: October 13, 2008, 12:03:47 PM »
then the solution would be for those paying school taxes in that district to throw a fit saying that they dont want their money paying for a separatist school.    I sure as hell wouldnt.   Its pretty sad that a government run and funded system has to be concerned about protecting those under that system rather than worry more about educating them.   I think the concept of education in the public realm has gotten way off base.   
I agree too
R.I.P BELLE (JULY 1994/OCTOBER 20,2008)
SWEET THING

I was one of the winners for the FINISH LINE HORSE PRODUCT $500 drawing for March 2008