8am - 6pm
Event Info Click Here

Online Entries are Open
Printable Entry Form
Event Info Click Here

Online Entries Open April 14
Event Info Click Here

Online Entries are Open

Author Topic: RRBRA members or thinking about it....What do you think of this type format?  (Read 9484 times)

Offline canchaser

• Sharon (smith) McCallum
  • Dinosaur!
  • Ebarrelracing.com rocks
GIRLIE!!! i love the way you're thinking!!! i was just telling a friend of mine the other day that i wish we had a red river in THIS area. but if things changed up, and you moved some of the shows a little farther west, like mt vernon, winnsboro, the church arena at east point (outstide quitman), gilmer, places like that once a month would make it worth my drive. especially for a 5 or 6 D where i can get some runs in on my colt.
(kind of WEIRD to be thinking of joining red river again! >:D)
how do people get thru life without a horse?
"...I've been around and I've found that the going's easy when the road is flat... God gave us mountains so we could learn how to climb..."..Lone Star

Offline LUV2BRUNINCANS

• Elite Member
Might be hard to sell the idea to the status quo, some resist good change.  But as many negative things as have happened over the last several years within RRBRA, I think it is time to take the association in a fresh, new direction for it's survival.  Otherwise, new associations will take the lead and members will start to drift where the most benefit is.  I think places like Mt. Vernon, Winnsboro, Gilmer, etc. are great ideas.  You will get some new faces, locals entering as non-members, etc.

Offline Txsweetie

• I'm Loving It....
  • Dinosaur!
  • It is what it is..................
I would join again if it came to those areas mentioned above.  It would almost be in in my backyard. 
Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind.  -Dr. Suess

Offline ~Kara Elaine~

• check out my site! www.smokeminstyle.com
  • Dinosaur!
  • my B52 Bomber
    • smokem in style performance horses
my only argument is, if there is 100+ entries I would want to win more than just a hundred dollars to win the barrel race.  And that will barely cover the diesle and entrie fees.   Open rodeos with 20 entries w/ fees at 30$  will pay over 100$ to win it and pay down 4 places.  Im not a 6d fan...  I would also like the vest for the members, new members who are just getting involved would definatly want one.  
A fool and their money, soon have more horse than they can handle

Offline ~Kara Elaine~

• Dinosaur!
  • my B52 Bomber
but with it moving toward mnt vernon and farther west it would be to far to travel for such a small payout... 

Offline LUV2BRUNINCANS

• Elite Member
It's really founded in the "saddle series", "prize" series principal.  It was never meant to be a big payout per show.  It was meant to be a local or somewhat extended local association, with the opportunity to get horses started, season horses, have a place for our kids to run without halling our wheels off and bankrupting us.  The real draw is the opportunity to win saddles and other neat prizes and that not everyone has an open horse or can rodeo.

Offline Rebecca

• Elite Member
It's really founded in the "saddle series", "prize" series principal.  It was never meant to be a big payout per show.  It was meant to be a local or somewhat extended local association, with the opportunity to get horses started, season horses, have a place for our kids to run without halling our wheels off and bankrupting us.  The real draw is the opportunity to win saddles and other neat prizes and that not everyone has an open horse or can rodeo.

That is why I have joined 2 different associations in the last 3 yrs. I just started racing not to long ago, wanted a chance to win a saddle and not spend big bucks on the big shows.

Offline ~Kara Elaine~

• Dinosaur!
  • my B52 Bomber
i personally thought that is what the local playdays were for?? JMHO, Maybe you could add a 5d incentive where you gave year end awards to the 5d point winners.  Just not pay out the extra money.  I thought you were trying to gain members, not run the ones that are wanting to win money off...  Im only voicing an honest opinon, but like i said if it moves farther south west it would be to far to drive to be worth 100 dollar check.  

Offline Slickster

• Mega Member
    • Red River Barrel Racing Assoc.
That is what RRBRA is ....a place to go run, not spend a fortune and have a chance to win saddles, buckles, breast collars and other nice prizes.  Prizes that anyone would be proud to own.  And the 19 and over class is a great class for those that might want to ride a young horse and not pay an expensive entry fee or for someone that might just want another shot at winning a check besides the open class.  I loved the format that we had in 07, it gave EVERYONE a place to fall from the starters to the old pros.  In fact, where can you go and pay a $15.00 EF/$5 sign up and have a chance to run for saddles....I spent more than that this summer at the local playday. 
It goes back to those choices that were mentioned earlier.....everyone has them. 
« Last Edit: November 13, 2008, 02:40:15 PM by Slickster »
Red River Barrel Racing Assoc.
www.RRBRA.com

Offline LUV2BRUNINCANS

• Elite Member
I was going to try to stay away from this, but I just have to say, 07 was not a good year for us.  My daughter ran at all the required shows, did all her work requirements, all her fundraisers, all her fees.  The 07 board decided to give prizes only 5 places deep but forgot to let that be known to the membership.  My daughter was sitting 6th in her D in the youth and could not move up, but we showed up at the finals, paid our money with the assumption that prizes were the same as they always had been, 15 places deep unless there were not that many in each D, which was usually the case, and then found out she was getting nothing for her efforts all year.  We asked to draw out as there was an added money show we could have made, but they would not give a refund, so we made the best of it and even worked as required.  We were both very hurt at the time, voiced my opinion, got on with life.  I have always been a fan and avid supporter of RRBRA and that is my only purpose with this post, to try to get people thinking about what can be done different, gain members and keep it going another year.  Sure, there will be those who don't like a new format and will not join, but then you may gain 2 or 3 new ones who like it.

Offline vlpoag

• Dinosaur!
        you are exactly right it was NEVER meant to be a big payout,it was started as a place for you to season a young horse and have fun .big dogs went to rodeo then if they needed to do some work they came to our show and worked thier horses .i realize fuel is high ,but you just chalk it up to you are gonna spend that where ever you go,and maybe win money and maybe not. i would love to see it go to different pens like in the beginning,it was fair ti everyone ,some drove farther 1 time tthen turn about . everyone was given the chance to come up with a close pen 75 mi. radius of mt. pleasant. worked then and it can be done again.
"LET HIM RUN"

Offline vlpoag

• Dinosaur!
 hey SHARON you are right us back in red river,i'll have to work on ella :yes: :yes: :yes:. i DO NOT want to see our baby go under,simply because  people can't work together. lots of pens this way to work with
"LET HIM RUN"

Offline canchaser

• Dinosaur!
my only argument is, if there is 100+ entries I would want to win more than just a hundred dollars to win the barrel race.  And that will barely cover the diesle and entrie fees.   Open rodeos with 20 entries w/ fees at 30$  will pay over 100$ to win it and pay down 4 places.  Im not a 6d fan...  I would also like the vest for the members, new members who are just getting involved would definatly want one.  

however, most open rodeos are not giving the awards you would receive at the end of the year, either.
"...I've been around and I've found that the going's easy when the road is flat... God gave us mountains so we could learn how to climb..."..Lone Star

Offline canchaser

• Dinosaur!
i personally thought that is what the local playdays were for?? JMHO, Maybe you could add a 5d incentive where you gave year end awards to the 5d point winners.  Just not pay out the extra money.  I thought you were trying to gain members, not run the ones that are wanting to win money off...  Im only voicing an honest opinon, but like i said if it moves farther south west it would be to far to drive to be worth 100 dollar check.  

in holding a 4D only, you are limiting the number of persons who might actually come in the hopes of having a young horse, or beginner riders that could never place 2 seconds off. with a 6d and 1/2 second splits across, you are uping the ante for people to advance their horses and themselves and still hit pay dirt. the ration of 4/5/6D qualifiers to 1 or 2D qualifiers is probalby something close to 15 to 1. so by adding 'd's you add the opportunity for more entries. you also have to think that there are too many 5 and 6D jackpots for people to go to to run at a 4D. if you're only in it for the money you can win and not interested or have the need in bringing yourself or your horse up thru the ranks or simply joining a local family oriented association for year end prizes, then the individual and/or bigger jackpots is probably your better vantage point. there are tons of those nearly every weekend and most bring in 100+ entries each time. of course, i remember a time when RR's open carried 100+ every weekend, too.

Offline LUV2BRUNINCANS

• Elite Member

in holding a 4D only, you are limiting the number of persons who might actually come in the hopes of having a young horse, or beginner riders that could never place 2 seconds off. with a 6d and 1/2 second splits across, you are uping the ante for people to advance their horses and themselves and still hit pay dirt. the ration of 4/5/6D qualifiers to 1 or 2D qualifiers is probalby something close to 15 to 1. so by adding 'd's you add the opportunity for more entries. you also have to think that there are too many 5 and 6D jackpots for people to go to to run at a 4D. if you're only in it for the money you can win and not interested or have the need in bringing yourself or your horse up thru the ranks or simply joining a local family oriented association for year end prizes, then the individual and/or bigger jackpots is probably your better vantage point. there are tons of those nearly every weekend and most bring in 100+ entries each time. of course, i remember a time when RR's open carried 100+ every weekend, too.

And I think the open numbers could exceed 100 when you give the youth more incentive to run in the open and leave the youth to beginners and up and comer's.  I am pretty sure they exceeded a 100 most shows this year with the 4D format.