8am - 6pm
Event Info Click Here

Online Entries are Open
Printable Entry Form
Event Info Click Here

Online Entries Open April 14
Event Info Click Here

Online Entries are Open

Author Topic: RRBRA members or thinking about it....What do you think of this type format?  (Read 9483 times)

Offline diggin4home

• Extreme Member
    • Red River Barrel Racing Association
Well elections are tomorrow night. For those of you feeling like RRBRA needs a change, my suggestion would be to attend this meeting and possibly form you a board, present it to the entire membership and run. In the history of RRBRA, so I am told they have never had an opportunity to elect the board. So here is your chance to present your changes.  A stroke of a key or email will unfortunately bring about no change. Many of us have little time to run an association either, but we sacrifice ourselves and family to volunteer anyway to give all of us somewhere close to go.

2007 had a Great year, we all worked great together, ran fair shows,followed the rulebook, averaged 100 + open entries and gave great prizes. There was no negativity except for 1 complaint. Let's not bring back the past.

I think the ladies who started this association did us barrel racers a favor for our part of the country because I can't imagine no RRBRA around.  I hope to see it continue for many years to come no matter who runs it or the format it is run in.  We should all still support it not pick it apart.

Remember tomorrow night 7pm at New Boston, TX Arena. 
« Last Edit: November 13, 2008, 04:51:31 PM by diggin4home »

Offline Runnin Wild

• Veteran Member
Very well said, Diggin.
 It is very easy to "talk" about what should or should not be done, but when it comes right down to it nobody wants to do all of the work to bring an organization together.
Come on out to NB tomorrow night to the meeting and participate.
Remember whoever the board may be, they will never satisfy everybody. This is what a board if for, to listen to the members and decide what is in the best interest of the club.
Just remember that you as a member come to these shows and participate and meet your work requirements and go home when you are done.
"That board", that is putting this event on for you, will have gotten there early in the morning and they do not leave until the last entry table, timer, pa system and all of the other equipment that is necessary to run these shows,that "they" have to bring,  for this function, is put away.

Offline canchaser

• Sharon (smith) McCallum
  • Dinosaur!
  • Ebarrelracing.com rocks
Well elections are tomorrow night. For those of you feeling like RRBRA needs a change, my suggestion would be to attend this meeting and possibly form you a board, present it to the entire membership and run. In the history of RRBRA, so I am told they have never had an opportunity to elect the board. So here is your chance to present your changes.  A stroke of a key or email will unfortunately bring about no change. Many of us have little time to run an association either, but we sacrifice ourselves and family to volunteer anyway to give all of us somewhere close to go.

2007 had a Great year, we all worked great together, ran fair shows,followed the rulebook, averated 100 + open entries and gave great prizes. There was no negativity except for 1 complaint. Let's not bring back the past.

I think the ladies who started this association did us barrel racers a favor for our part of the country because I can't imagine no RRBRA around.  I hope to see it continue for many years to come no matter who runs it or the format it is run in.  We should all still support it not pick it apart.

RRBRA, at least until recent years, have always elected it's board members, from the president down to each director. unless a director resigned or declined the position and then it was offered to the next person with the most votes.  Never, to my knowledge, has the board been hand picked --- at least not any of the boards i served on as director or president.
and you are correct in saying it is not only the board but every member who has the responsibility to the club.
many memebers show up, do their classes, their required work and leave. as un-glorified as a board position is, that is why the people on the board are there because of their willingness to do the job. many weekends i left a high school rodeo at 3am, got to the arena at 5 or 6, slept for an hour, and started setting the arena up at 8 am. worked all day, ran my classes, and was the last one to leave at 10pm. so yes, i know exactly what you're talking about. but i also know that in today's changing times and needs, if you do not amend the way you're doing things, you will not be doing things for long.
how do people get thru life without a horse?
"...I've been around and I've found that the going's easy when the road is flat... God gave us mountains so we could learn how to climb..."..Lone Star

Offline mylilangel

• Novice Member
You know what everyone says about opinions!!  Well, everyone has one but that does not mean that theirs is the right one...lol...got ya!!  OK, so here is mine.  If you are a money chaser then Red River is not for you.  There are lots of jackpot races on the weekends to attend if that is what you are looking for.  To me Red River is sooo much more than that.  I think we all can agree that we want Red River to be the best that it can possibly be for all of its members.  Lets all be realistic, not everyone can win and whatever I win I am truly grateful for no matter what it is.  With that being said, all we can hope for is to choose a board that is going to do what is best for the association.  Even if it means following the rules!!  In the end the only guarantee is that Red River is open to anyone who wants to come out to run their horse, meet new people, and make friendships that will last a life time (I know I've made lots!!).  

This is my motto, "If you do not vote you CANNOT gripe!"  So bring your opinions and  suggestions and come out to New Boston tomorrow night to vote.  

Offline Txsweetie

• I'm Loving It....
  • Dinosaur!
  • It is what it is..................
maybe some of us should get together and form a new association in this area.
Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind.  -Dr. Suess

Offline ~Kara Elaine~

• check out my site! www.smokeminstyle.com
  • Dinosaur!
  • my B52 Bomber
    • smokem in style performance horses
well i guess an association can and will be popular if they spread the money around so much almost everyone brings home a check.....

[/quote]

however, most open rodeos are not giving the awards you would receive at the end of the year, either.
[/quote]

actually the open rodeo gave away 3 nice saddles and buckles in every event, so i would say that they gave away some pretty nice prizes! 
A fool and their money, soon have more horse than they can handle

Offline vlpoag

• Dinosaur!

2007 had a Great year, we all worked great together, ran fair shows,followed the rulebook, averaged 100 + open entries and gave great prizes. There was no negativity except for 1 complaint. Let's not bring back the past.

I don't know where you heard the membership never had the opportunity to vote on a board.but that is not true all except for the year we formed it the members have always voted, i know for about the fist 5or 6 yrs,after that i don't know  but yes the members have voted a board

"LET HIM RUN"

Offline Slickster

• Mega Member
    • Red River Barrel Racing Assoc.
I received a phonecall while ago saying that 2003 was the last year there was an election, now I know that for the last 4 yrs...the previous years board either kept it the same, added a few new ones to the existing board OR if no one wanted to keep it then they asked the members at the finals who would be interested in taking over.   The reason we, the 07 board, considered running again is b/c we all worked like a well oiled machine together.  We each new what our responsiblity was and we got our individual jobs done...so that the others never had to question if we were gonna be reliable.  Terry Foran, Dana Pace and Leeann Smith did an awesome job on the ground...while the rest of us could concentrate on the sign up table, annoucing and working the computer.  Ya know...guess its kinda like this...they say ya dont know someone until you live with them...well, ya dont really get to know someone until ya serve on a board with them....LOL.   If youve ever served on a board, you know exactly what Im saying.
Red River Barrel Racing Assoc.
www.RRBRA.com

Offline TNL

• Novice Member
I am confused. In reading over all these post, why is the 2007 board having to defend themselves ? They had a good year, they came up with the rollover option which the MAJORITY of the members liked. I personally think this post has turned personal against them and they were the ones approached by current 2008 members asking them to run for 2009 again. This must be an indication that they did something right, so what is the deal?

I started not to post on here and join in this but I refuse to stand by and let these readers be mislead. You know the old saying "misery loves company".

Offline Trucks R4 Girls

• Novice Member
I really didn't want to go there again, but since you did, I will.  The 2007 board was made up of a very diverse group of people.  Our opinions varied on different aspects of how the association should be run but we agreed to disagree on certain points and did what we felt was in the best interest of the association.  At that time no one else was willing to take RRBRA because of various reasons.  As a member of any association it is your responsibility to know the rules.  Most rules carry over from one year to another, however, it is up to the discretion of the serving Board to change, exclude, or alter rules.  And as the President of the 2007 board I stand by our decision of awarding  5 places in the Youth and the 19 & Over classes.  The decision was made based on participation as stated in the rule book.   We did not make any promises regarding the number of awards. At no time were we dishonest, and we did not try to hide anything from our members.  You were the only person to have approached me regarding the number of awards that would be presented, and that was on the day of the finals.   Red River is a good association and it has some great members, but there is no earthly way possible to please everyone.  We are all entitled to give our opinions but in the end do what's best for the association.  Bickering among everyone is not the solution.  You have the opportunity to vote tomorrow for a new board, as a member exercise that right.   Ask questions, make suggestions but lets keep it civil.

Offline vlpoag

• Dinosaur!
    i've been reading this too and i didn't see anyone bashing the 2007 board ,i saw someone wanting to change some things don't think that was against them,saw  where 07   board was putting out    feelers to see if anyone would concider them,don't know who else is wanting the position and things can  always be misunderstood. i do hope from the bottom of my heart this club can stay together,two things to remember,you have rules FOLLOW THEM and the board is there for THIER MEMBERSHIP, you can't have a club without members. good luck red river and i'm just so happy to see terry is healthy enough to even consider this
"LET HIM RUN"

Offline ~Kara Elaine~

• check out my site! www.smokeminstyle.com
  • Dinosaur!
  • my B52 Bomber
    • smokem in style performance horses
I personally love the girls and guy on the 07 board and think they will do an amazing job! See yall tomorrow night!
A fool and their money, soon have more horse than they can handle

Offline canchaser

• Dinosaur!
well i guess an association can and will be popular if they spread the money around so much almost everyone brings home a check.....

however, most open rodeos are not giving the awards you would receive at the end of the year, either.
[/quote]

actually the open rodeo gave away 3 nice saddles and buckles in every event, so i would say that they gave away some pretty nice prizes! 
[/quote]

if you're speaking about a rodeo series for the past couple of summers that was put on by a specific church, the money for those prizes came out of the pocket of that church, not from the entry fees what contestants entered paid. big difference from how prizes are paid for thru most local barrel associations.
"...I've been around and I've found that the going's easy when the road is flat... God gave us mountains so we could learn how to climb..."..Lone Star

Offline canchaser

• Dinosaur!
   i've been reading this too and i didn't see anyone bashing the 2007 board ,i saw someone wanting to change some things don't think that was against them,saw  where 07   board was putting out    feelers to see if anyone would concider them,don't know who else is wanting the position and things can  always be misunderstood. i do hope from the bottom of my heart this club can stay together,two things to remember,you have rules FOLLOW THEM and the board is there for THIER MEMBERSHIP, you can't have a club without members. good luck red river and i'm just so happy to see terry is healthy enough to even consider this

i'm like vicki. i haven't seen any bashing, just suggestions, i really don't understand why it's being taken personally. if the 07 board worked so well together, and the members are happy with that, then so be it. i said for years that every position should be a 2 year post, with positions staggered so that not all members of the board are re-elected at the same time to establish some form of stability.
however, this has reminded me, again, of why i left RR after 2002.....

Offline canchaser

• Dinosaur!
maybe some of us should get together and form a new association in this area.

hey girl! you might be interested to know this idea is being tossed around! and prior to anything to do with this post.