8am - 6pm
Event Info Click Here

Online Entries are Open
Printable Entry Form
Event Info Click Here

Online Entries Open April 14
Event Info Click Here

Online Entries are Open

Author Topic: RRBRA members or thinking about it....What do you think of this type format?  (Read 9487 times)

Offline vlpoag

• Dinosaur!
 gosh sharon has it been that long? i guess that was my last year,and i was pres,or on the board from day 1,so i can sure feel what they are going thru,that being said it just kinda goes with the territory ,you get on the board you are WILLING  to go the extra 10 mi.to make the shows run as smooth as possible,if that means coming early ,and staying late and lots of time on the assoc.when not at a show.i think times now are calling for the smaller assoc. like  RRBRA and TCBRA and BIT  and  LONGHORN  ,when or if these fold you do not have the cheaper runs to make  and that leaves us only with high dollar shows and we sure don't want to have to take green and youg horses to those. thier seems to be no NBHA 17 OR 20  to go to ,so we have 4 good clubs to pull together and make thier assoc. work.
"LET HIM RUN"

Offline Txsweetie

• I'm Loving It....
  • Dinosaur!
  • It is what it is..................
I heard that TX 20 is on its way back!!!! 
Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind.  -Dr. Suess

Offline LUV2BRUNINCANS

• Elite Member
  • Ebarrelracing.com rocks
I started this post in a positive manner in support of RRBRA.  ONCE AGAIN, I HAVE SERVED ON THE BOARD, ABOUT 5 YEARS IN A ROW. I have gotten there early, left late, and had no time in between to even warm my horse properly.  I had a blast every year.  I don't really remember a year that there has not been a good board.  Every board has been good in my opinion, every board has had their problems.  Not every decision that every board has made has been the right one.  It was the decision that was made by a majority at the time it came up.  That does not make one board better than the next.  I have not bashed anyone, was just making the point that each board has been different in some aspect and change is inevitable.  I am sorry it has taken a different direction now.  Sharon, I had also kicked around the idea of a new association in case RRBRA did not survive this time.  That is why I was jotting down the ideas I have.  People who don't really know me, usually take me the wrong way.  I have never been one to get close to people unless I know their friendship is sincere(not just a howdy to my face and a knife in my back), and their trust is earned.  Sharon can vouch for the person I am, my honesty, integrity, and my geniune desire to help other people.  I can tell by the direction this post has gone by some, that any idea I might have would probably not be considered, even if it was an obvious improvement.  Ya'll have a great meeting tonight and hope everyone takes off the blinders, put's aside their hurt feelings and their pride to do what is good for the association and members and potential members.  Think I will just go hog hunting with the hubby.

Offline SmoothOKFuel

• Veteran Member
  • Fuelin W
I really enjoyed going to RRs because they are close to home and I have known most of the members all of my life (well, I'm old now so I should say all of their life...  :ROFL2:)...and enjoy seeing them and watching them do those cans.

I have several young horses to haul this year so will not be joining any assoc. again except for NBHA/BBR, but hope that RR has a wonderful year and for years to come.  The RRs I have been to in the last couple of years, I haven't seen or heard any fussing, etc.  They have all done a wonderful job.  

Amy had some good suggestions about a display board..you cannot believe how that cuts down on complaints about mistakes being made, etc.  Robin had some good suggestions about the youth; 6 D with 1/2, 1/2 and then wholes for a youth sounded good as that allows the not so experienced youth to maybe hit a D and that makes their day, but not 6D for the open.  Hope you all have a great turn out tonight with some people that are willing and able to help.

The last year I was a member of RR, the new president said she would only be president if she could select her own board and she did.  Did not join that year and that's how Longhorn was formed with "family" of five footing the bill for timers, etc. and then reimbursed at the end of the year and had a wonderful year; of course, with one arena, it is much easier than having the responsibility of securing different arenas.

Offline mylilangel

• Novice Member
I thinks that everyone has gotten away from the point.  Lets all be adults here and put the past in the past.  Bring your ideas and suggestions to the table and lets see where it goes.  I hate to see everyone acting like one person or another is responsible for what is going on.  In truth everyone is to blame...  Red River is an association and as such you as a member do have a right to speak your mind.  Just don't get carried away with it!  I hate seeing messages that say, "That is why I left Red River in the first place."  That doesn't blame one person for anything it blames the association and that is what we need to get away from.  Lets all work together to build Red River back up!!

Offline ~Kara Elaine~

• check out my site! www.smokeminstyle.com
  • Dinosaur!
  • my B52 Bomber
    • smokem in style performance horses
if you're speaking about a rodeo series for the past couple of summers that was put on by a specific church, the money for those prizes came out of the pocket of that church, not from the entry fees what contestants entered paid. big difference from how prizes are paid for thru most local barrel associations.[/quote]

NO ACTUALLY IT WASNT A CHURCH OPEN RODEO ASSOCIATION!!!  It was in Oklahoma! Nowhere in texas, and NO one that you would know!  OH and by the way, im great friends with the owners of the arena and they pay for all awards from rodeo earnings.... So yes, it can be done! And the prizes dont have to suffer and neither do contestants!
A fool and their money, soon have more horse than they can handle

Offline SmoothOKFuel

• Veteran Member
  • Fuelin W
I thinks that everyone has gotten away from the point.  Lets all be adults here and put the past in the past.  Bring your ideas and suggestions to the table and lets see where it goes.  I hate to see everyone acting like one person or another is responsible for what is going on.  In truth everyone is to blame...  Red River is an association and as such you as a member do have a right to speak your mind.  Just don't get carried away with it!  I hate seeing messages that say, "That is why I left Red River in the first place."  That doesn't blame one person for anything it blames the association and that is what we need to get away from.  Lets all work together to build Red River back up!!

Opps, guess I should clarify if that was in response to what I posted...do not like to begin a fuss or anything controversial.. had 2 Cash Not Credit horses I was getting ready to the 5-year-old futurities was one of the reasons didn't join back and didn't want to take the time to work and chase points.  Unfortunately, that next year they changed back to 4-year-olds.

And I usually do not post (I'm a thread killer), but thought Robin had made some good suggestions made for the assoc and Dana and Terry know how to set up/drag dirt which is a big, big part of the barrel race and I'm sure there are others with good ideas too.  They have all been there and done that.

I was one of the original board members that started Four States High School Rodeo Association and Longhorn so know that considering all opinions/suggestions (new or old) is a good thing to do and know how much time and work is involved in making an assoc one that you would want to run at whether for $$ and/or points.

And as I said, I hope RR all the best with whoever takes over and if I was into chasing points again, I would certain join; but will be there runnning when I can and hope to make the first few with a couple of my green horses.  See you all there  <HI>.

Offline LUV2BRUNINCANS

• Elite Member

Opps, guess I should clarify if that was in response to what I posted...do not like to begin a fuss or anything controversial.. had 2 Cash Not Credit horses I was getting ready to the 5-year-old futurities was one of the reasons didn't join back and didn't want to take the time to work and chase points.  Unfortunately, that next year they changed back to 4-year-olds.

And I usually do not post (I'm a thread killer), but thought Robin had made some good suggestions made for the assoc and Dana and Terry know how to set up/drag dirt which is a big, big part of the barrel race and I'm sure there are others with good ideas too.  They have all been there and done that.

I was one of the original board members that started Four States High School Rodeo Association and Longhorn so know that considering all opinions/suggestions (new or old) is a good thing to do and know how much time and work is involved in making an assoc one that you would want to run at whether for $$ and/or points.

And as I said, I hope RR all the best with whoever takes over and if I was into chasing points again, I would certain join; but will be there runnning when I can and hope to make the first few with a couple of my green horses.  See you all there  <HI>.

Thanks for the support Paulette, and I know how you feel about being a "thread killer".  I was only trying to make some good suggestions for people to maybe be thinking about the pros and cons.  It is great when a board works well together, but as an accountant and business major, I tend to look at everything from that standpoint and working well together is not the end of the job.  In business, the environment is always changing, and you must adapt to those changes in a timely fashion or get left behind.

Offline mylilangel

• Novice Member
SMOOTHOK...THANK YOU FOR CLARIFYING THAT...I REALY HATE FOR PEOPLE TO SAY THINGS LIKE THAT B/C OF BAD FEELINGS...I AM GLAD THAT THE SITUATION WAS NOT LIKE THAT FOR YOU!!  AND I AGREE...IDEAS ARE GREAT...CHANGE IS NOT ALWAYS A BAD THING!

Offline SmoothOKFuel

• Veteran Member
  • Fuelin W

Thanks for the support Paulette, and I know how you feel about being a "thread killer".  I was only trying to make some good suggestions for people to maybe be thinking about the pros and cons.  It is great when a board works well together, but as an accountant and business major, I tend to look at everything from that standpoint and working well together is not the end of the job.  In business, the environment is always changing, and you must adapt to those changes in a timely fashion or get left behind.

Yep, you are welcome...I look at it from a business and law standpoint...I guess that's what we all do in our respective occupations.

I've made my one post, so going back to lunking...you all have a wonderful and blessed day!

Offline canchaser

• Sharon (smith) McCallum
  • Dinosaur!
if you're speaking about a rodeo series for the past couple of summers that was put on by a specific church, the money for those prizes came out of the pocket of that church, not from the entry fees what contestants entered paid. big difference from how prizes are paid for thru most local barrel associations.

NO ACTUALLY IT WASNT A CHURCH OPEN RODEO ASSOCIATION!!!  It was in Oklahoma! Nowhere in texas, and NO one that you would know!  OH and by the way, im great friends with the owners of the arena and they pay for all awards from rodeo earnings.... So yes, it can be done! And the prizes dont have to suffer and neither do contestants!
[/quote]

Please accept my apology if you feel i've insulted you in some way. i have no idea who you are or where you live, and that was not my intention.  i do know, from years of experience, that with most open rodeo's thru the summer, their prizes are supported by the producer and/or supporters/donators for any lack of enough contestants to pay for the prizes. i applaude whomever it is you're speaking of, apparently they are doing a great job and have found a way to give nice prizes at a cost they can afford. but obviously, the amount of prizes provided by associations like RR compared to a summer series varies greatly. i would pain me to know RR did not survive. vickie, karen, susan, and many others on those very first boards created what has been a proven training grounds for many pro rodeo/futurity/college greats, and RR deserves the opportunity to continue it's history as a learning grounds for outstanding contestants.
it's not really a matter of local association verses rodeo, it's a matter of what is best for the association and it's members in today's so unstable economy. i am confident that WHOMEVER takes a position on the board will do their very best. they always have, and hopefully they will continue to have an open ear/mind/heart and take suggestions in the manner offered and review them as a board to decide which they feel will most benefit the association as a whole.
how do people get thru life without a horse?
"...I've been around and I've found that the going's easy when the road is flat... God gave us mountains so we could learn how to climb..."..Lone Star

Offline Slickster

• Mega Member
    • Red River Barrel Racing Assoc.
LOL SmoothOkFuel Im with you......Im even getting confused on what response went to what post.  Seems like there is now 3 different conversations going on.  LOL Im lost on the church rodeo assn. topic, Im not familiar with that at all.....
and back to the RRBRA...the common goal here with everyone is to see the assn. prosper.  I dont think that we (07 board) thought we were being bashed, thats the wrong word....just that when 1 person holds a personal grudge against an entire board...and these people poured their hearts and souls into the assn to make sure that everyone was treated fairly, we definitely do take offense to that.   We are not the ones that brought this subject back up and I, for one am tired of even reading about this.  Anyone that is considering running, Im sure would love to hear new ideas and suggestions. We definitely were not close-minded to new ideas or suggestions, since we are the first RR board to try the rollover option. I guess the main point here is that you can suggest new ideas without any negativity towards ANY past boards.  
Hope everyone has a nice weekend.
Red River Barrel Racing Assoc.
www.RRBRA.com

Offline DallyDog

• Extreme Member
I think its wonderful that so many people want the RR to do good,, RED RIVER was started over in the NEW BOSTON area by some of the same people on the 2007  board,, thats why most of the shows are in this area,, its where it started,,, and i HOPE it doesn't get MOVED off   to other areas,, WE have plenty of pens in this area.....  NEXT i think any  one that takes a spot on the board in any of the past years have had to WORK HARD,, to keep things running right,,,  I think they were right when saying the 2007  board run like a GREASE WHEEL,,, and every one did their, part,...and so did  2008,,, NO all the people  don't agree all the time,,,
thats LIFE<<
I think the 6D might bit much,, but a 5d might work,, i like the idea of NO JACKETS,,  or only given to people in the standings..that is a lot of the money  every yr,,  and YESSSSSSSS
about take a % of the enrty to go for awards,, ALL OTHER  BARREL RACING ASSN do,,
why should we,,and that would be more money for award,,,

AND i DON"T THINK the board should be able to CHANGE A RULE to suit the moment,, i think
evey one would be happy if we all had the same RULES to go by..and that the BOARD can't over ride the  WHAT THE MEMBERSHIP HAVE DECIDED<<<its is about the all members after all..

I hope we have a good meeting tonight,,

Offline LUV2BRUNINCANS

• Elite Member
LOL SmoothOkFuel Im with you......Im even getting confused on what response went to what post.  Seems like there is now 3 different conversations going on.  LOL Im lost on the church rodeo assn. topic, Im not familiar with that at all.....
and back to the RRBRA...the common goal here with everyone is to see the assn. prosper.  I dont think that we (07 board) thought we were being bashed, thats the wrong word....just that when 1 person holds a personal grudge against an entire board...and these people poured their hearts and souls into the assn to make sure that everyone was treated fairly, we definitely do take offense to that.   We are not the ones that brought this subject back up and I, for one am tired of even reading about this.  Anyone that is considering running, Im sure would love to hear new ideas and suggestions. We definitely were not close-minded to new ideas or suggestions, since we are the first RR board to try the rollover option. I guess the main point here is that you can suggest new ideas without any negativity towards ANY past boards.  
Hope everyone has a nice weekend.

Angie, it's not hard to figure out you are referring to me.  It's o.k. to say my name.  I do not pretend to be something I am not.  I have not once every shown you any animosity, nor Terry, nor Dana, nor Leanne, nor Kim Birdsong or others who continued to treat me as a friend or concerned member. I know a certain level of prizes was not promised, but nor was it not promised, my only complaint was not communicating that fact.  I spoke my mind when what happended happened.  I, as a paying member, and a mother who had a heartbroken daughter, had that right.  There were a few, til this day still look at me and treat me like I have the plaque.  Matter of fact, you told me on several occasions how sorry you were it happened, now I get the feeling that was not very sincere.  I apologize for suggesting such a wonderful group of people and the best board ever in the history of RRBRA, was anything less than that.

Offline Andie Guess

• What?
  • Posse Member
  • Dinosaur!
  • $5 fine for whining
    • NBRA
 (woohoo)
'I'm your huckleberry' Doc Holiday