8am - 6pm
Event Info Click Here

Online Entries are Open
Printable Entry Form
Event Info Click Here

Online Entries Open April 14
Event Info Click Here

Online Entries are Open

Author Topic: RRBRA members or thinking about it....What do you think of this type format?  (Read 9485 times)

Offline LUV2BRUNINCANS

• Elite Member
  • Ebarrelracing.com rocks
I think its wonderful that so many people want the RR to do good,, RED RIVER was started over in the NEW BOSTON area by some of the same people on the 2007  board,, thats why most of the shows are in this area,, its where it started,,, and i HOPE it doesn't get MOVED off   to other areas,, WE have plenty of pens in this area.....  NEXT i think any  one that takes a spot on the board in any of the past years have had to WORK HARD,, to keep things running right,,,  I think they were right when saying the 2007  board run like a GREASE WHEEL,,, and every one did their, part,...and so did  2008,,, NO all the people  don't agree all the time,,,
thats LIFE<<
I think the 6D might bit much,, but a 5d might work,, i like the idea of NO JACKETS,,  or only given to people in the standings..that is a lot of the money  every yr,,  and YESSSSSSSS
about take a % of the enrty to go for awards,, ALL OTHER  BARREL RACING ASSN do,,
why should we,,and that would be more money for award,,,

AND i DON"T THINK the board should be able to CHANGE A RULE to suit the moment,, i think
evey one would be happy if we all had the same RULES to go by..and that the BOARD can't over ride the  WHAT THE MEMBERSHIP HAVE DECIDED<<<its is about the all members after all..

I hope we have a good meeting tonight,,

I am not sure who this is, but you might want to do a little more research on the history of RRBRA and who started it and where.  I am sure Vicki P. can set the record straight on that issue.

Offline vlpoag

• Dinosaur!
dally dog,NO it was not started in new boston,the very first show was in mt. pleasant with money coming out of my pocket and ella self,and it was set up to go to different pens so everyone would have to travel at some point,i still think that is the best way for an assoc.(Jmo), to me having at same pen is when the arena club puts on thier shows.  just clarifying that
"LET HIM RUN"

Offline canchaser

• Sharon (smith) McCallum
  • Dinosaur!
dally dog,NO it was not started in new boston,the very first show was in mt. pleasant with money coming out of my pocket and ella self,and it was set up to go to different pens so everyone would have to travel at some point,i still think that is the best way for an assoc.(Jmo), to me having at same pen is when the arena club puts on thier shows.  just clarifying that

i was waiting for this..... *:o :ROFL2:
how do people get thru life without a horse?
"...I've been around and I've found that the going's easy when the road is flat... God gave us mountains so we could learn how to climb..."..Lone Star

Offline LUV2BRUNINCANS

• Elite Member

i was waiting for this..... *:o :ROFL2:

She set me straight a few times.............and love her for it, I am one who can admit mistakes.  That's why I have an ex-husband. :ROFL2:

Offline Slickster

• Mega Member
    • Red River Barrel Racing Assoc.
You do not have to question if I was sincere.  I have a child close to the same age as yours and hate to see her disappointed as well.   Yes, I was sincere but apologizing for the situation evidentally was not enough or it would not continue to come up.  We did NOTHING wrong nor did you...just a misunderstanding of the rules.  
« Last Edit: November 14, 2008, 11:29:19 AM by Slickster »
Red River Barrel Racing Assoc.
www.RRBRA.com

Offline vlpoag

• Dinosaur!
 hey luv2      i liked your idea  <HI> for what it is worth,but i'm old so my opinion may not count *:o *:o
"LET HIM RUN"

Offline LUV2BRUNINCANS

• Elite Member
hey luv2      i liked your idea  <HI> for what it is worth,but i'm old so my opinion may not count *:o *:o

Not agreeing that your too old for good opinions.  I have learned to listen to those who have been around awhile and are much wiser than me.  I learn something new every single day, and hope I never become too complacent to stop.

Offline cold n classy

• Dinosaur!
Well, I kind of like the idea of the 2007 board!  I MADE SOME GREAT FRIENDS OUT OF ALL THAT DEAL! 

As far as 5D-6D, I honestly don't like those formats unless you have something as big as Booger's deal.  AND I HAVE THOSE CALIBER HORSES so I would be shooting myself in my own foot!  I think it breaks the money up too much and when you win, whoooo hoooo, you barely get enough back for diesel!  I know you get great prizes (or for the most part you do) but to me, it's about fun and competition.....I honestly (several years ago) had to stop running for a while because I was getting into the "coasting" mentality.  I think from a personal standpoint, you WANT to improve yourself.  If your horse can't place being 2 seconds off, then what does a person have to do to change that?  And I'm talking strictly about myself here!  Do I need to change my riding, work my horse better (or just get another one!), what did I need to do to improve? 

I know from doing the team ropings (which may be apples/oranges) that YOU WILL NOT PLEASE EVERYONE no matter how hard you try!!!  We gave very nice Master saddles, beautiful Bob Berg buckles, gift certificates, breast collars and a freaking trailer away for hi point roper....after starting at 9am on Saturday, finishing at 5:30am Sunday, me announcing all day--not having one complete meal, went to the restroom once--and was WORN SLAP OUT, can you believe I STILLLLLL had people griping because they didn't like the way I did the points....when it was on the flyers that I sent out about 2 weeks prior to?! 

This may sound harsh but after going through all that, I decided the best way was, set the rules, have the events set and roll with it.....people have 2 choices--come or stay home.  We did some barrel races and tried to set the standards to where it was benefitting for people to come--with the mind set we WANTED people to come--and we had around 100 every show which I thought was wasn't bad for a $500 added and it was my first deal to ever do.

I agree with the statement that there always people talking about how things could be better here and there but when it comes down to it, where are those people when you need barrel setters or someone to drag or someone to watch the back gate???  They are usually the ones in the stands.....definitely not my "New Boston crew" though!   :ROFL2: :cheeze: :ROFL2: :cheeze:

I would love to come to RR shows but it just costs me too much to travel there....I'm at least 1 1/2 hours away so I only go if there is added money.....I'm pretty partial to the 2007 group because I have been to the shows they've put on and yes, I think they do a great job!  It's always nice when a board gets along....makes things run smoother! So whomever is elected, appointed or whatever, make sure it is a group that can work together, back each other and of course, doesn't mind working!!!!  Good luck at the meeting tonight!
To be a champion inside the arena, be a champion outside the arena!  (Deb Mohon's words to me-1999)

I ride in hopes and prayers that Bess may walk again one day!

Offline ~Kara Elaine~

• check out my site! www.smokeminstyle.com
  • Dinosaur!
  • my B52 Bomber
    • smokem in style performance horses
if you're speaking about a rodeo series for the past couple of summers that was put on by a specific church, the money for those prizes came out of the pocket of that church, not from the entry fees what contestants entered paid. big difference from how prizes are paid for thru most local barrel associations.

NO ACTUALLY IT WASNT A CHURCH OPEN RODEO ASSOCIATION!!!  It was in Oklahoma! Nowhere in texas, and NO one that you would know!  OH and by the way, im great friends with the owners of the arena and they pay for all awards from rodeo earnings.... So yes, it can be done! And the prizes dont have to suffer and neither do contestants!

Please accept my apology if you feel i've insulted you in some way. i have no idea who you are or where you live, and that was not my intention.  i do know, from years of experience, that with most open rodeo's thru the summer, their prizes are supported by the producer and/or supporters/donators for any lack of enough contestants to pay for the prizes. i applaude whomever it is you're speaking of, apparently they are doing a great job and have found a way to give nice prizes at a cost they can afford. but obviously, the amount of prizes provided by associations like RR compared to a summer series varies greatly. i would pain me to know RR did not survive. vickie, karen, susan, and many others on those very first boards created what has been a proven training grounds for many pro rodeo/futurity/college greats, and RR deserves the opportunity to continue it's history as a learning grounds for outstanding contestants.
it's not really a matter of local association verses rodeo, it's a matter of what is best for the association and it's members in today's so unstable economy. i am confident that WHOMEVER takes a position on the board will do their very best. they always have, and hopefully they will continue to have an open ear/mind/heart and take suggestions in the manner offered and review them as a board to decide which they feel will most benefit the association as a whole.

[/quote]

Apology accepted.... I think we both share one thing and that is to make an association close to home to enjoy.  I wasnt trying to attack you or anyone on awards choices... but i think everyone should be considered that including the girls that run in the 1 or 2d.  We can agree to disagree on the 6d format and leave it at that.  

Angie, you will do an amazing job and I think that one small problem with one person just goes to show YALL DID GREAT!!  Im sure by asking anyone that has ever served on any board that one small problem is just that "small" compaired to how many people they come in contact at each race!  Good luck ladies!!
A fool and their money, soon have more horse than they can handle

Offline DallyDog

• Extreme Member
I"M SORRY<, that was my understanding .and i think going to defferent pens is a MUST<<   my first year to really RUN in RR and   THANK YOU FOR UP STARTING OF THIS  FINE ASSN<
AND i'm sure it will have many yrs to come

Offline vlpoag

• Dinosaur!
  cc-- you are right you will never please everyone but you go with what you set up and as i have always saidif ya don't like the game ,take your toys and go home,and yes i did stop going to rr becauce i kinda got burned out things changed good and bad and i just chose a different direction,i step in here only to defend the original set up of rr and i also know times call for a change i would love to see it go back to pens in different areas ,that is one reason i don't join i believe in fairness and i think it is for people to get to move around ,that is up to the board and members to decide.that being said i hope they have a good turn out tonight and can get the ball rolling again it is and can be a good assoc.GOOD LUCK
"LET HIM RUN"

Offline CodyH

• Veteran Member
Oh wow!!  Reading all this has brought back many old memories of the RR.  Was it started in 1993?? I know it was one of the first saddles I ever won and its still sits in Mom's living room!!   I think that was the year, there were several age groups, no Ds yet bc that hadn't been around long enough!!  I remembering going to places like Cooper, Mount Pleasant, Gilmer, and Holly Lake!! 

My Hats Off to the Ladies that started it back then and Good Luck to whoever gets elected tonight!!  It says alot for an assoc that has been around for 15 years!! I hope that it is still going strong when Jaycee and I are ready to start back going!!   <HI>
Lilypie 2nd Birthday Ticker" border="0"  />[/url

Offline easyturn

• Novice Member
A lot of background info regarding past boards etc. has been posted.  This was my first year to join RRBRA.  I just started runnin barrels a little over a year ago.  There seem to be many issues to cover at tonights meeting, and in the interest of us all understanding what may be or will be proposed BEFORE the meeting can someone post more ideas about their actual proposals as to classes, D's etc.  Like I said I am very new to all this.  Ohh and I remember this last year a race was to be at Hope AR, many people didn't want to run at that arena, so the board changed the location due to the popular vote.  I did not have a problem with the change nor did I have a problem with running there.  I thought the board tried to do the right thing several times throughout the past year.  Nobody can please everyone all the time.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2008, 12:26:48 PM by easyturn »

Offline vlpoag

• Dinosaur!
  cody h--   i think before then i would have to ask ella,i know shawn and jennifer had all thier highschool shows and big youth rodeos and ella and i had just gotten new young horses and thier was nowhere to go ,we sat many hours to come up with the right format   and from what our award money was that year i guess we did good. lots of hard work,and for those who don't know MEGAN REIGHERT started right there,and as sharon said we had lots of our youth go on to bigger and better things  also CHRIS MARTIN,and i'm sure others.the need for red river is here just getting the kinks worked out again and it will thrive for many yearsto come ,and know cody do you think jason won't have jaycee ROPING :ROFL2:
"LET HIM RUN"

Offline CodyH

• Veteran Member
I will have to ask Mom what year is on the Saddle!  I am pretty sure that was the first year for RR.  The awards was done the Big Building before you get to the Rodeo arena in MP, then the next year it was Bigger and yall had it at the Skidmore Building!!  Good Times!!  We always had a 4States Rodeo on Sat and the Red River on Sunday!!

Jason has already said No Barrel Horses for Jaycee!!  So we will see!! haha!!  I don't see him telling her No about ANYTHING!!   :cheeze:
Lilypie 2nd Birthday Ticker" border="0"  />[/url