8am - 6pm
Event Info Click Here

Online Entries are Open
Printable Entry Form
Event Info Click Here

Online Entries Open April 14
Event Info Click Here

Online Entries are Open

Author Topic: Kids? How they work!  (Read 1950 times)

Offline *Dzuls*MoMmA*

• Novice Member
Kids? How they work!
« on: January 09, 2009, 01:19:04 AM »
A little girl told her daddy one day that she wanted a horsie for her birthday. Her daddy said to her," You need to learn how to ride first." So she learned to ride. she went to her daddy and said, " Ok daddy i learned how to ride and the teacher said that i was a natural and mommy thinks i'm purdy good too!" Her daddy looks like he's thinkin really hard and then says, " Ok, well don't you have to know how to take care of it when it gets sick, lonely, hungry, or hurt? You should know all of those things as well." The little girl takes classes and does her homework about health issues, wound care, putting on and together tack, feed prices and the best ones to invest in, and fun activities for the horse. She comes to her daddy all excited and says, " Alright i found out all the information you wanted me to and i just know that i'm ready." The dad looking distressed says, "ok... well we will look for one that is right for you." The little girl is just so overjoyed that she does everything in her power to find the perfect horse and just cant stop talking about what she going to do with it and what good names would be and what color water and feed buckets she wants it to have ect.. she finds the one.. she goes to her daddy and says," Daddy i have found him and i already called and got an appointment with the owner and we have to be there on Friday at 4 when i get out of school." As the little girl walks away the daddy turns to his wife and says," You know i don't think that i have ever seen her put this much effort in cleaning her room or doing the dishes.. Why is it that kids only go that extra mile when they want something?"

Offline lauraSchumann

• pay attention you might learn somethin'...
  • Global Moderator
  • Super Hero
  • It is what it is...
Re: Kids? How they work!
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2009, 08:32:41 AM »
Kids do that because "we" do that to them....from the time they are born, we love our children so much that
each and everytime they do something right we have done what every parent in the world has done...pat them
on the head, tell them they did good, love them, congratulate them...as every normal parent has done.  Children are conditioned
from the day they are born "if you do something right" you are rewarded for your efforts. From the time they are in our hands to the time
enter school the reward program comes into play---did good on a paper--get a gold star, sit quietly in class--get 10 more minutes
during recess, be good over at Ma Maws--we will stop for ice cream, I could go on and on.... I've thought about that alot,
I've been thru it with 3 kiddos, and I must admit I am to blame for alot of the "rewards" my children seek....All their
life if they did everything, there was a reward for doing so...I think as they get older it becomes harder on us because
the rewards in life become larger, with the child spreading her/his wings and wanting to grow and the seriousness of
becoming an adult comes into play and we as adults don't see that quite as well.  We see that it just becomes more expensive
and the awards for "doing good" are harder for us to provide.  But there are certain things like the horses that I have never
quit offering to my kids, or anything else that would teach responsibility as well.  The eventual reward she will receive in
the end and the responsibility she is willing to take on with her new project will certainly be well worth it in the end.  I think kids
see it as well..."without the reward, where's the incentive?"....There concept really isn't too different than ours either--we go to work, and
we have nice things...We do everything right, we expect our rewards too.  ;)
Heck I still offer the "reward" program to my 21 yr old at UT!!  So don't worry about her, and keep parenting---sounds like
the norm to me and you are doing a great job.  :)/\\ :)/\\
« Last Edit: January 09, 2009, 08:43:04 AM by lauraSchumann »
If you reach the bottom of a barrel, find another barrel.
~answering your questions on trainers corner~

Offline *Dzuls*MoMmA*

• Novice Member
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2009, 12:04:17 PM »
i'm not a mother just yet.. but this is my experience... my dad kept thinking of things to come up with so that it would postpone the actual purchase but then when he saw how determined i was he rewarded me. horses saved my life... my teenage years were hell on my parents lol until i got into horses because then i had responsibility, good grades, and a better attitude, period ,because i had something that had that incentive, that reward! when i started learning how to barrel race Calida Dunnehoo, Woody's Mama on here, helped me through soo much she is one of the reasons why i am the way that i am today she has contributed so much advice, time, and effort that i couldn't have done it without her!

Offline luvmygirls

• Extreme Member
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2009, 11:41:15 PM »
Yes you did turn out wonderful!!!  Thank you WM!!  You truly a gift from God!!! :)/\\

Offline ~Kara Elaine~

• check out my site! www.smokeminstyle.com
  • Dinosaur!
  • my B52 Bomber
    • smokem in style performance horses
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2009, 01:00:21 AM »
great story!!!  I love how horses can truley change lives!
A fool and their money, soon have more horse than they can handle

Offline Woodys Mama

• Dinosaur!
  • Woody Rock'n & Roll'n
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2009, 04:02:29 PM »
i'm not a mother just yet.. but this is my experience... my dad kept thinking of things to come up with so that it would postpone the actual purchase but then when he saw how determined i was he rewarded me. horses saved my life... my teenage years were hell on my parents lol until i got into horses because then i had responsibility, good grades, and a better attitude, period ,because i had something that had that incentive, that reward! when i started learning how to barrel race Calida Dunnehoo, Woody's Mama on here, helped me through soo much she is one of the reasons why i am the way that i am today she has contributed so much advice, time, and effort that i couldn't have done it without her!

thank you kiddo....i saw the same thing in your eye that I saw in Woodys so many years ago ;) your not finished yet either!!
Live life like you were dying, let the people and animals CLOSE to you know you love them!!!

Offline Farel

• DOUBLE BLESSED
  • Fossil
  • Peppys Sashay Beau
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2009, 11:41:55 PM »
so very sweet.. love WM... :)/\\
R.I.P BELLE (JULY 1994/OCTOBER 20,2008)
SWEET THING

I was one of the winners for the FINISH LINE HORSE PRODUCT $500 drawing for March 2008

Offline *Dzuls*MoMmA*

• Novice Member
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2009, 11:07:47 PM »
i'm so very excited that you are apart of my life you have made such a diffrence and i'm gratful for that!