8am - 6pm
Event Info Click Here

Online Entries are Open
Printable Entry Form
Event Info Click Here

Online Entries Open April 14
Event Info Click Here

Online Entries are Open

Author Topic: Hey does anyone know of a good calming supplement for a horse??  (Read 6641 times)

Offline flame_012

• Veteran Member
  • Me and Flame(:
Hey does anyone know of a good calming supplement for a horse??
« on: February 16, 2009, 02:56:08 PM »
Hey, well my horse Chicken is normally a very calm horse, but when we go to shows she is HORRIBLE!! she gets hyper, an when she gets away from the trailer she acts really stupid, so do y'all have any suggestions on a calming supplement?? let me know! thanks.
3 barrels 2 hearts 1passion:)

Offline Gabe's Babe

• Defender of The Bored!!! Wait, Board???
  • Charter Member
  • Demi-God
    • Rachael's Equine Services
Re: Hey does anyone know of a good calming supplement for a horse??
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2009, 03:00:19 PM »
I just put a horse and vita-calm....Seems to be helping.

Offline lauraSchumann

• pay attention you might learn somethin'...
  • Global Moderator
  • Super Hero
  • It is what it is...
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2009, 04:45:18 PM »
Before feeding a supplement or a calming agent for your horse, I would ask you this question.
What type of feed are you feeding?  Are you feeding a higher fat feed such as Ultium?  High
fat equals energy in a horse and perhaps a feed with a lower fat content 6-8% could be the
answer to your problems rather than a calming agent involved.  If you are feeding a higher
fat feed (higher than 8%) is your activity that you give your horse sufficient to burn off the
extra calories that she needs to not contain the extra energy? 
If your answer is not in the feed ration that you are giving her, and you are sticking within
the guidelines according to her exercise program, and you don't think a different feed ration
will solve your problems---then I would suggest putting her on vitamin B1 crumbles.  Its not
a guaranteed answer for every horse, but it works on alot of them before resorting to special
combinations of powers or pastes to calm a horse down.  It does take about 20-30 days to
see the results, but its a natural result that will help your horse.  Its cost effective at about
$15 for a 30 day serving.
If you reach the bottom of a barrel, find another barrel.
~answering your questions on trainers corner~

Offline melaself

• Global Moderator
  • Fossil
  • Ebarrelracing.com rocks
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2009, 04:46:11 PM »
You didn't say how old she is or how long she's been acting like this. Maybe she's just scared and needs to do it more. My gelding was that way for the longest time. I thought he was never going to calm down when I took him somewhere. But, I guess he eventually grew out of it, because now he's not bad at all.

But, also, I did completely remove oats from his diet and that seemed to be the first step to calming him down.

Offline flame_012

• Veteran Member
  • Me and Flame(:
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2009, 04:00:14 PM »
Well we are feedin all my horses 12% Vitality performance, and during shows shes just goes ballistic, shes only 8. She is my old barrel, roping, and show horse and now my sister has her and when shes in the show ring my sis just cant handle her.We get her adjusted regularly so we know she isn't hurtin, i just wanted to find something different beside ACE.

Offline wendyb

• Elite Member
  • Britt at WBR 2007
    • Visit our store online...
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2009, 05:15:00 PM »
We used B1 and B6 with Britt's Gelding when he was younger and got 'frizzed' --- he was controllable, but during drill team they require such precision and go from loping fast and excited to calm and completely still, the B6 really helped.

(Try it on teenagers too... amazing...)

My sorting mare was a witch for the first year I had her.  Sent her to a trainer and he had the same problems.  When asked to move out and work through the pen, she would buck for the first 10 seconds of a 60 second run.  Every single time...   Started her on Moody Mare and within about a week she was a different horse.  All natural ingredients.  Have read where it is given to geldings too, so not just a hormonal thing.

Interested in seeing what everyone else says.
Have openings for consignment saddles
http://www.lazybgeneralstore.com
Carrying brands such as *Wrangler*Ariat*Cinch*Cruel Girl*Weaver*Circle Y*Saddle Barn*Double H*Boulet*John Deere*Corky's*Yellow Box*Bar H*Breyer
Special Orders Welcome

Offline casey has heart

• Extreme Member
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2009, 06:04:53 PM »
I use raspberry leaves for my mares(same as mare magic but i buy it in bulk/organic herb supply at $3lb rather than $50lb) and vit supp w magnesium.  plus my feed has 6% fat, 14 protien and 14 fiber.

Offline cominupthealley

• Mega Member
    • Butler Performance Horses
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2009, 06:27:03 PM »
Mare Magic is awesome I've seen it work on alotta horses. If u can find someone to give it for you or have full sleeve rubber gloves regumate worked wonders on the DTF mare I have. She reverted to lunatic status as soon as we took her off. Its dangerous stuff tho
"When a dream is in you so bright it shines out your eyes, you best give it rein." Louis Lamour

Offline simply firewater

« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2009, 07:11:40 PM »
I have a mare that does this when at a show.  It's not the feed because she is perfect at home, but she knows her job and gets nervous and on the muscle at a race.  She is also prone to Ulcers because of her nervousness.  I have treated her for ulcers and that has made a big improvement.  When she is at a race I give her omeprazole every day she is there.  I only give her a maintence dose and not the full treatment dose and she does so much better at shows with this.  Just a thought, Good Luck.

Offline Wrap3

• Extreme Member
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2009, 07:18:19 PM »
Vitamin B1 crumbles they are amazing!!! I also used to use quitex on a pony for a girl that I was working with it was pretty good.

Offline flame_012

• Veteran Member
  • Me and Flame(:
« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2009, 08:57:24 PM »
Thanks for all the ideas, hopefully one of these will work.ACE just makes her a dead head. When we ACE her for shows shes gone, she wont do anything.But at barrel races she is a different horse for me....Her names Social Steppin Bar but we call her Chiken since she gets this way, My Grandma, Joyce Mcghee, thought breeding her might change her attitude, but we'll see in about a year lol, but thanks to all of y'all

Offline Farel

• DOUBLE BLESSED
  • Fossil
  • Peppys Sashay Beau
« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2009, 10:15:16 PM »
i use raspberry leaves on my mare, it has helped her marish ways but not the alley issues. I am laying my mare off this winter. I have used chlorapromizine and has helped a little.
good luck hope you find something that works.
R.I.P BELLE (JULY 1994/OCTOBER 20,2008)
SWEET THING

I was one of the winners for the FINISH LINE HORSE PRODUCT $500 drawing for March 2008

Offline KEKE

• Extreme Member
  • Ebarrelracing.com rocks
« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2009, 10:31:51 PM »
I had a gelding named Chicken! He was a handful naturally. I used "AT EASE" by SELECT.....It is all natural, and really works. It can also take an attitude off of one.

Offline flame_012

• Veteran Member
  • Me and Flame(:
« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2009, 07:41:48 AM »
Thats great. I love my mares, but im starting to take to geldings more these days after my horse i had since i was two died about to years ago 5days after she had her colt Flame. But my barrel horses are mostly mares. Thanks for the tips

Offline MMRANCH02

• Dinosaur!
  • Prov. 3:5,6-TRUST in the Lord with ALL your heart
« Reply #14 on: October 28, 2009, 07:50:48 AM »
Hi Flame - It's me, Miriam!!  Wow, can't believe you are in here!!  Hope your gramma is well - miss going to her ranch!!  Please say hi to your mom for me - love the purse I recently bought from her!

You know what a nut my Jack horse is, so I will tell you what I do for him.  First of all, let me say, not everything works for every horse.  I have used every supplement on the market on him, and have seen basically no diff - he is hot and anxious, and that is just him - I work around it.  But I do give him 2.5 cc of Fluphenazine every three weeks.  It works on his herdboundedness (that awful away-from-the-trailer mess that he pulls) and he can focus without messing up his run.  I add a handful of Lite Salt to his grain to make up for the iodine/potassium that the shot takes away.  I also got some chlorpromazine from the vet but I haven't tried it yet - want to try it in practice first.  Vet said Ace takes their legs out from under them and I don't want that - just some focus.

I have literally tried all the B vitamins, all the magnesium supplements, and it was all just a waste on him.  High fiber food helped (i fed him a 25% fiber from Nutrena called Horse Kwik for a long time, but he got used to it), and shutting down his ulcers has helped also - all my guys are on U-Gard pellets now following a course of omeprazole.  He is now on Nutrena's 12-8 and that seems to be just about right for his exercise level and body type.

Hope this helps - I didn't get to talk to you at New Caney, but I saw you there, girl - ;-)!!
Miriam Mize

The outside of a horse is good for the inside of a [wo-]man; Winston Churchill

I never want to look back at my life and say, "I wish I had . . .";