General Category > General Discussion

Hey does anyone know of a good calming supplement for a horse??

(1/7) > >>

flame_012:
Hey, well my horse Chicken is normally a very calm horse, but when we go to shows she is HORRIBLE!! she gets hyper, an when she gets away from the trailer she acts really stupid, so do y'all have any suggestions on a calming supplement?? let me know! thanks.

Gabe's Babe:
I just put a horse and vita-calm....Seems to be helping.

lauraSchumann:
Before feeding a supplement or a calming agent for your horse, I would ask you this question.
What type of feed are you feeding?  Are you feeding a higher fat feed such as Ultium?  High
fat equals energy in a horse and perhaps a feed with a lower fat content 6-8% could be the
answer to your problems rather than a calming agent involved.  If you are feeding a higher
fat feed (higher than 8%) is your activity that you give your horse sufficient to burn off the
extra calories that she needs to not contain the extra energy? 
If your answer is not in the feed ration that you are giving her, and you are sticking within
the guidelines according to her exercise program, and you don't think a different feed ration
will solve your problems---then I would suggest putting her on vitamin B1 crumbles.  Its not
a guaranteed answer for every horse, but it works on alot of them before resorting to special
combinations of powers or pastes to calm a horse down.  It does take about 20-30 days to
see the results, but its a natural result that will help your horse.  Its cost effective at about
$15 for a 30 day serving.

melaself:
You didn't say how old she is or how long she's been acting like this. Maybe she's just scared and needs to do it more. My gelding was that way for the longest time. I thought he was never going to calm down when I took him somewhere. But, I guess he eventually grew out of it, because now he's not bad at all.

But, also, I did completely remove oats from his diet and that seemed to be the first step to calming him down.

flame_012:
Well we are feedin all my horses 12% Vitality performance, and during shows shes just goes ballistic, shes only 8. She is my old barrel, roping, and show horse and now my sister has her and when shes in the show ring my sis just cant handle her.We get her adjusted regularly so we know she isn't hurtin, i just wanted to find something different beside ACE.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version