8am - 6pm
Event Info Click Here

Online Entries are Open
Printable Entry Form
Event Info Click Here

Online Entries Open April 14
Event Info Click Here

Online Entries are Open

Author Topic: Horse Was Panting!!  (Read 4865 times)

Offline MMRANCH02

• Dinosaur!
  • Prov. 3:5,6-TRUST in the Lord with ALL your heart
Horse Was Panting!!
« on: May 11, 2009, 12:09:59 PM »
Need everyone's thoughts about this one - new issue to me (thought I has seen them all!).  Saturday: hot, hot, hot at Montgomery and very high humidity.  Horse was tied to the trailer for, gosh, six hours, with water and hay.  Went to saddle up and horse was panting but was not all that sweaty.  He has been on a heavy training schedule the past two months, and trainer says he really lathered up all his tack during training.  He did not have a good pattern (ducked the first, but finished with a really pretty run) but could not blame him if he could not get cool.  Fed him half a Budweiser on his feed that night, along with a tablespoon of electrolytes and a tsp of 1AC.  Gave the other half of the Bud the next morning, and am continuing the electrolytes and 1AC.  Any thoughts or experience will help me talk to the owner as to how to proceed with this very nice horse - she is watching him closely today; braided him up and cooled him off before it got hot this morning to see how he does.  Thanks for all ya'll's help!
Miriam Mize

The outside of a horse is good for the inside of a [wo-]man; Winston Churchill

I never want to look back at my life and say, "I wish I had . . .";

Offline TxOkCanChsr

• A legend in my own mind
Re: Horse Was Panting!!
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2010, 08:09:55 AM »
It's more than likely just because it was hot that day but be aware that panting can sometimes be a symptom of EPM.  You may want to keep your eyes open for any other indications or symptoms just in case.
Life is not a journey to the grave w/ the intention of arriving safely in a pretty & well preserved body..but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming --WOW!  WHAT A RIDE!!

Offline olneykat

• Elite Member
  • Just smile...make people wonder what you're up to!
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2010, 09:12:56 AM »
Okay, I will show my ignorance here...why would you give a horse beer...alcohol dehydrates you?
KC

Offline MMRANCH02

• Dinosaur!
  • Prov. 3:5,6-TRUST in the Lord with ALL your heart
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2010, 09:23:07 AM »
Apparently the hops in the beer makes the inbiber sweat - horse or human, lol!!

I actually used 1AC on him all that summer and fixed this condition at the molecular level - that was summer before last and this past summer he did just fine!!  Turns out he was what I call a reluctant sweater ...
Miriam Mize

The outside of a horse is good for the inside of a [wo-]man; Winston Churchill

I never want to look back at my life and say, "I wish I had . . .";

Offline olneykat

• Elite Member
  • Just smile...make people wonder what you're up to!
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2010, 09:26:53 AM »
Apparently the hops in the beer makes the inbiber sweat - horse or human, lol!!

I actually used 1AC on him all that summer and fixed this condition at the molecular level - that was summer before last and this past summer he did just fine!!  Turns out he was what I call a reluctant sweater ...

Well, you learn something new everyday! That's why if you ever think you know it all...you are done for! Everday of life is (or should be) a learning experience. Thanks!
KC