News > Trainer's Corner

Horse Was Panting!!

(1/1)

MMRANCH02:
Need everyone's thoughts about this one - new issue to me (thought I has seen them all!).  Saturday: hot, hot, hot at Montgomery and very high humidity.  Horse was tied to the trailer for, gosh, six hours, with water and hay.  Went to saddle up and horse was panting but was not all that sweaty.  He has been on a heavy training schedule the past two months, and trainer says he really lathered up all his tack during training.  He did not have a good pattern (ducked the first, but finished with a really pretty run) but could not blame him if he could not get cool.  Fed him half a Budweiser on his feed that night, along with a tablespoon of electrolytes and a tsp of 1AC.  Gave the other half of the Bud the next morning, and am continuing the electrolytes and 1AC.  Any thoughts or experience will help me talk to the owner as to how to proceed with this very nice horse - she is watching him closely today; braided him up and cooled him off before it got hot this morning to see how he does.  Thanks for all ya'll's help!

TxOkCanChsr:
It's more than likely just because it was hot that day but be aware that panting can sometimes be a symptom of EPM.  You may want to keep your eyes open for any other indications or symptoms just in case.

olneykat:
Okay, I will show my ignorance here...why would you give a horse beer...alcohol dehydrates you?

MMRANCH02:
Apparently the hops in the beer makes the inbiber sweat - horse or human, lol!!

I actually used 1AC on him all that summer and fixed this condition at the molecular level - that was summer before last and this past summer he did just fine!!  Turns out he was what I call a reluctant sweater ...

olneykat:

--- Quote from: MMRANCH02 on October 13, 2010, 09:23:07 AM ---Apparently the hops in the beer makes the inbiber sweat - horse or human, lol!!

I actually used 1AC on him all that summer and fixed this condition at the molecular level - that was summer before last and this past summer he did just fine!!  Turns out he was what I call a reluctant sweater ...

--- End quote ---

Well, you learn something new everyday! That's why if you ever think you know it all...you are done for! Everday of life is (or should be) a learning experience. Thanks!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version