8am - 6pm
Event Info Click Here

Online Entries are Open
Printable Entry Form
Event Info Click Here

Online Entries Open April 14
Event Info Click Here

Online Entries are Open

Author Topic: POLYGLYCAN???  (Read 32687 times)

Offline Brainiac

• Novice Member
Re: POLYGLYCAN???
« Reply #105 on: July 11, 2009, 11:32:22 PM »
I don't know.  I think we are confusing the three products.  I just goggled Polyglycan and read the manufactures info page.  The same with Legend and Adequan.  So, I suppose I should have said, injection is not the recommended method of delivering Polyglycan.  But that having been said, I still think an oral supplement is better than an injected one for longterm use.  

gbacres  I am mark with Ginnys Equine Supplements.   You can order from the web site at www.GinnysEquineSupplements.com or click on the ad on the front page.  

« Last Edit: July 11, 2009, 11:39:40 PM by Brainiac »

Offline HaleyT

• Elite Member
  • **THORNERANCH.COM
    • THORNERANCH.COM
« Reply #106 on: July 12, 2009, 09:49:27 AM »
I'm typing on my phone, so no long response for me! I have no doubt someone that gets on a thread about POLYGLYCAN and is trying to sell their oral whatever product will sway people towards their product. Injecting a joint supplement is the only way to get all of it in a horse. With a good amount of the oral stuff the horses stomach acids just eat it and you are throwing your money away...No oral joint supplements for me, I want to know my horse is getting the money I am putting into them. JMO! Flame away! Talk to your vet (assuming he/she knows something about performance horses) about polyglycan/legend/adequan... It is safe to say the people with oral stuff on this thread are not completely versed in our polyglycan/legend/adequan..... Sorry for typos, I'm on my phone!
**********THORNERANCH.COM**********
http://www.thorneranch.com/

Offline themurphy6

• Elite Member
« Reply #107 on: July 12, 2009, 10:29:23 AM »
Talked to my vet and he did explain that it's original intended use was for joint injections and  is of the opinion that polyglycon is proving effective when give 36  to 24 hours prior- he recommends it.

Offline flyinglow

• Elite Member
  • Ebarrelracing.com rocks
« Reply #108 on: July 12, 2009, 11:31:50 AM »
Just had to take a horse to my vet this past week for some bobo's on his knees.  I asked about the poly and he said that, a loading dose is needed for the first month, and then once month after that.  Also that is was to be given IV, not IM.  I do trust Dr Smitherman's advise, since he rides and competes, as well as doctors on Cutting horses. While his wife competes on barrels, he tries to keep up with the ever changing medical field on Joint health.
A woman who wishes to be equal to a man, lacks ambition

Offline HaleyT

• Elite Member
  • **THORNERANCH.COM
    • THORNERANCH.COM
« Reply #109 on: July 12, 2009, 11:47:28 AM »
Just had to take a horse to my vet this past week for some bobo's on his knees.  I asked about the poly and he said that, a loading dose is needed for the first month, and then once month after that.  Also that is was to be given IV, not IM.  I do trust Dr Smitherman's advise, since he rides and competes, as well as doctors on Cutting horses. While his wife competes on barrels, he tries to keep up with the ever changing medical field on Joint health.

I DEFINITELY would believe in someone's advice that ACTUALLY competes. I do not feel someone who has no actual competition, barrel racing, rodeo, cutting horses..roping...and/or vet school experience......and for that matter doesn't even ride horses or compete, is qualified to solicit advice, and I certainly will take said advice "with a grain of salt." JMO

Offline Runnin Wild

• Veteran Member
« Reply #110 on: July 12, 2009, 06:09:56 PM »
I agree with you Haley...about the inj being the only way to be sure they are getting all of the supplement....I had rather give a shot once a month than daily supplements especially if the cost is camparable..
If I happen to be gone and have someone feed for me I can rest assured that he has had his supplement..don't have to wonder...hummmm  do ya think he added his supplements?????:):)

Offline josies jockey

• Fossil
  • The WORD works for those who work the WORD!!
« Reply #111 on: July 12, 2009, 06:15:37 PM »
I agree with you Haley...about the inj being the only way to be sure they are getting all of the supplement....I had rather give a shot once a month than daily supplements especially if the cost is camparable..
If I happen to be gone and have someone feed for me I can rest assured that he has had his supplement..don't have to wonder...hummmm  do ya think he added his supplements?????:):)

AMEN!! When I go somewhere and have someone feed I'm just hopeful to know they got feed, hay and fresh water!
Horse Trader Exstrodinare... One of the only people you will ever meet with their own bag of PIXIE DUST...

Offline gbacres

• Super Hero
« Reply #112 on: July 12, 2009, 07:57:31 PM »
Yes, it is a pain to feed oral supplements when someone else has to do it.  Thanks to everyone that has given me advice on this.  I will be implementing a new system with my horse.

THANKS ROW for always being there to listen and direct me.  You're the greatest!!!!!  Hope to see you soon!!!
www.gbacres.fws1.com/index.html

I'd rather be a "has been" than "a never been at all."

Offline Brainiac

• Novice Member
« Reply #113 on: July 12, 2009, 08:15:52 PM »
I agree everyone should decide what is best for their horse.  However, just because you use polyglycan IV or IM does not mean it is the recommended use.  It is true that the original use was directly in the joint... the current recommended use is directly into the joint.  Google it and read what the manufacture has to say.  I know that not every supplement works on every horse; if what you are using works you should continue to use it.  But if someone asks a question like the one that started this thread, it seems only right to give them all the information and allow an informed decsion.

Offline dasher

• Extreme Member
  • Ebarrelracing.com rocks
« Reply #114 on: July 12, 2009, 08:31:03 PM »
This is the original question and no where does she ask about oral supplements, she is asking about Polyglycan.  "Does anyone use it????  Pros and cons please!!!!!"

I'm using Polyglycan (I.V.) along with Adequan and I'm seeing a big difference with my horse, this treatment was a recommendation from my vet and she tries to keep up to date with new research regarding maintenance on these performance horses.

Also, the only oral supplement she recommended was Platinum CJ.

Official Animal Element dealer for North and Central Texas.

Offline HaleyT

• Elite Member
  • **THORNERANCH.COM
    • THORNERANCH.COM
« Reply #115 on: July 12, 2009, 08:37:20 PM »
This is the original question and no where does she ask about oral supplements, she is asking about Polyglycan.  "Does anyone use it????  Pros and cons please!!!!!"

I'm using Polyglycan (I.V.) along with Adequan and I'm seeing a big difference with my horse, this treatment was a recommendation from my vet and she tries to keep up to date with new research regarding maintenance on these performance horses.

Also, the only oral supplement she recommended was Platinum CJ.

DITTO!!! And,  I have heard lots of good things about the Platinum too, maybe one day I will try it.

Roadrunner

« Reply #116 on: July 12, 2009, 09:13:32 PM »
I have a say in it.
They don't.
 I figure I would open a can of worms.
 I can see when a horse is really hurting make him comfortable but not give him stuff to just keep going down the rode. This is just my openion.

spellcheck
sorry, I just read the entire post & someone else had already made the recommendation
« Last Edit: July 12, 2009, 09:28:22 PM by Roadrunner »

Offline gbacres

• Super Hero
« Reply #117 on: July 12, 2009, 09:54:43 PM »
LOL!!!

I have spoken to several people since posting this thread and come to find out EVERY ONE of them has their horse on polyglycan.  Apparently them and their vet believe in the product.  They do not feed oral supplements.  They are convinced to go with the shot versus the oral supplement as they feel they are throwing their money away just as Haley T stated early in this thread.  I agree to that every horse isn't the same. 

PLEASE KEEP MY THREAD POSITIVE AS I DON'T WANT ALL MY INFORMATION ZAPPED!!!!   lol
www.gbacres.fws1.com/index.html

I'd rather be a "has been" than "a never been at all."