8am - 6pm
Event Info Click Here

Online Entries are Open
Printable Entry Form
Event Info Click Here

Online Entries Open April 14
Event Info Click Here

Online Entries are Open

Author Topic: Rodeo horse tortured in South Dakota.  (Read 26565 times)

Offline cowgirldiva

• Mega Member
Rodeo horse tortured in South Dakota.
« on: July 13, 2009, 10:15:17 PM »
Just wanted to know..if you have heard about this story...A women competing in the rodeo, horse was stolen from It's stall...then tortured...don't know if the horse will  compete again..the horse had rope burns..I think...they tie him..in between two trucks..It's bad..the horse is still a live..and doing some better...and now the people want justice.  
« Last Edit: July 20, 2009, 10:43:27 AM by lauraSchumann »
Max is home...with is girl Kaitlynn.

Offline causinchaos05

• Dinosaur!
Re: Rodio horse tortured in South Dakota.
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2009, 10:47:11 PM »
Your talking about Wendy Halweg and Dually.
They have not made an arrest yet and this happened 4th of July weekend.
Its sickening and the people should pay!!!

Offline cowgirldiva

• Mega Member
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2009, 10:54:33 PM »
Your talking about Wendy Halweg and Dually.
They have not made an arrest yet and this happened 4th of July weekend.
Its sickening and the people should pay!!!
That's the story...so sad.
Max is home...with is girl Kaitlynn.

Offline kcameron

• Fossil
  • I love my Willie
    • KSK CUSTOM HOBBIES
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2009, 10:15:24 AM »
OMG....There are some SICKO people in this world! Why on earth would someone torture one? ARGGGGGGG so horrible !!!

Offline the_jersey_lilly_2000

• Mega Member
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2009, 10:44:41 AM »
Here's an email from her mom. Don't know who it was sent to but was posted by someone on another board in SD.

Date: Jul 6, 2009 6:03 PM

Hi everyone, need your prayers for Wendy and her horse.
She was rodeoing this 4th was at Ft. Pierre, done with the rodeo and fireworks were going off.
Put Dully in her trailer, got up about midnight, put him in the arena as all yards were taken, saw young people partying but didn't think anything of it, got up at 6am he was gone. Terrified went looking for him along with many others, seems the partiers had rode him down the main street so hard ripping his shoes off. Tied him to a tree roped his legs, beat him took his front and back legs with ropes an stretched him out he fell to the ground, tied his legs as you would a calf and roped and beat him, he is cut all over burned his legs, the dad of the one kid hid him at his place another kid found him told her to get the sheriff to go there not to go alone, i am sure they were going to destroy him. They brought him to her his head fell into her arms. She rushed him to vet his legs were swelling an after washing him off found it to be even worse. Today his legs broke open and can see the tendons, if the tendon stays on the bone and if they can keep infection out. He may heal but I don't think he will be the same from something so terrible.She is beside herself. There is more but this is enough for you to know the jest of it all. We need your prayers Can not believe anyone would do such a thing, and the Dad had guts enough to tell the sheriff he wanted Wendys phone no. he had deep pockets, he makes rough stock saddles at Ft. Pierre.seems to think he is above the law of any kind. Don't they hang horse thief's in SD???

Then this....
An account has been set up to help with vet bills. Donations can be sent to

1st national bank of SD
Attention Wendy Halweg, Dually Benefit
210 N. Lawler, Mitchell, SD, 57301

Or donations can be made through paypal to the address [email protected]

Posted Friday:
Sheriff: Arrests in horse-stealing case likely to come early next week
By David Montgomery
Capital Journal Staff
Published/Last Modified on Friday, Jul 10, 2009 - 03:46:13 pm CDT

Stanley County Sheriff Brad Rathbun said Friday his office is wrapping up its investigation of a horse which was stolen from the Stanley County Fairgrounds July 5 and later found with significant injuries. Rathbun said his office will present its findings to the state's attorney today and hopes to make arrests early next week after a judge signs arrest warrants.

Rathbun said he will disclose more information about the case once arrests have been made.

Visit www.capjournal.com and www.twitter.com/capitaljournal for up-to-date information about this story as it develops.

Monday:
Update: Dually, horse taken from rodeo grounds, is slowly recovering
By David Montgomery
Capital Journal staff
Published/Last Modified on Monday, Jul 13, 2009 - 02:26:08 pm CDT

FORT PIERRE — Dually, the rodeo horse which was found injured July 5 after being taken from his pen at the Stanley County Fairgrounds, is still alive and slowly improving, owner Wendy Halweg said Monday.

“He’s recovering,” Halweg said. “The horse is not going to die. But his ability to ever perform again is in question.”

Halweg said Dually is still under veterinary care after suffering rope burns and cuts on his legs and face. Dually’s legs are still slightly swollen, Halweg, said, making it difficult to tell how severe the damage is.

Halweg said she remains hopeful Dually will be able to fully recover and compete again.

“It’s going to take some rehab, and then we have to go from there,” Halweg said. “It is going to take a lot of time, just like a person.”

No arrests have yet been made, Stanley County Sheriff Brad Rathbun said Monday morning. Rathbun said he is waiting for a judge to sign arrest warrants after giving his department's investigation to the state's attorney Friday.

Animal Element Dealer in South East Texas!!! Your either running with it...or running against it.

Good cowgirls keep their calves together ;)

Offline Magic

• Veteran Member
  • Ebarrelracing.com rocks
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2009, 11:25:25 AM »
Shotgun and rope!

Offline debhorses

• letz get this party!!!!!
  • Posse Member
  • Super Hero
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2009, 11:51:30 AM »
thats just makes me want to puke..eye for an eye..tooth for a tooth... bring it on
can't wait till May!!!

Offline causinchaos05

• Dinosaur!
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2009, 11:57:21 AM »
As of right now no arrests have been made. They know who did it, but the sheriff is dragging his feet.
He has made several comments about "blogging interfering with the investigation" I don't buy that. I mean all the blogging hasn't hurt the michael jackson case has it?
I hope the idiot gets his rear into gear and gets the guys responsible behind bars SOON!
Hopefully daddies money wont pay the guy off.

Offline mammadearborn

• Posse Member
  • Elite Member
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2009, 12:08:50 PM »
to bad all the rough stock riders won't banned together and agree to never again buy one of his saddles, then daddy's pockets won't be deep
Love Generously, Praise Loudly, Live Fully

Offline kcameron

• Fossil
  • I love my Willie
    • KSK CUSTOM HOBBIES
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2009, 12:17:13 PM »
I am so mad and down right disusted that I'm spitting nails ! Who could do something like this? Start hanging these horse theive abuser BA$T@RD$ from  the freaking trees !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

Offline cold n classy

• Dinosaur!
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2009, 01:20:49 PM »
Some people are just plain sick!!!!  Many prayers go out to Wendy and Dually!  Hope he bounces back! 

Yes, I agree-- eye for an eye!  Wonder how it would feel to them if they were done like that????

To be a champion inside the arena, be a champion outside the arena!  (Deb Mohon's words to me-1999)

I ride in hopes and prayers that Bess may walk again one day!

Offline Farel

• DOUBLE BLESSED
  • Fossil
  • Peppys Sashay Beau
« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2009, 02:39:41 PM »
many prayers for the horse... they need to do the same thing to the people that did that too that poor horse...torture them!
R.I.P BELLE (JULY 1994/OCTOBER 20,2008)
SWEET THING

I was one of the winners for the FINISH LINE HORSE PRODUCT $500 drawing for March 2008

Offline NBHA4DQUEENIE

• Elite Member
« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2009, 03:26:46 PM »
some kids thease dys think they can do anything  Beacause no one ever told them no  and they think oh its just an animal we were just haveing fun well it needs to stop  they should all  be locked up  many prayers for the girl and her horse  the law in this town must be chicken s...t 

Offline barrel58

• Veteran Member
« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2009, 09:09:38 PM »
They should hang them from their balls then get horses to strech them!!!!!!!
Come running with your hat down.

Offline CHANCEYSMOM

• Elite Member
« Reply #14 on: July 14, 2009, 09:58:15 PM »
The word needs to be sent out for no one to buy this mans saddles and then his pockets will not be so deep and maybe he will have time to learn how to be a parent and teach his kids right from wrong. After they all get out of JAIL>
Good People and Best Friends are found on ebarrel horse.