8am - 6pm
Event Info Click Here

Online Entries are Open
Printable Entry Form
Event Info Click Here

Online Entries Open April 14
Event Info Click Here

Online Entries are Open

Author Topic: Rodeo horse tortured in South Dakota.  (Read 26569 times)

Offline lauraSchumann

• pay attention you might learn somethin'...
  • Global Moderator
  • Super Hero
  • It is what it is...
Re: Rodeo horse tortured in South Dakota.
« Reply #60 on: July 21, 2009, 08:52:32 AM »
Its pretty hard to fix stupid. 

I google this everyday to see what is updated.  Haven't gotten anything so far. :(

This is one of those times I sure wish we had use of our icons....grrr. 
If you reach the bottom of a barrel, find another barrel.
~answering your questions on trainers corner~

Offline MMRANCH02

• Dinosaur!
  • Prov. 3:5,6-TRUST in the Lord with ALL your heart
« Reply #61 on: July 21, 2009, 08:59:14 AM »
I thought I was the only one doing that, Laura!  I think the SD authorities think it will go away or something ... The Pierre SD paper hasn't had anything new in a week now, whatcha'll think?

One of my fav phrases - "cain't fix stupid; cain't buy smart"!
Miriam Mize

The outside of a horse is good for the inside of a [wo-]man; Winston Churchill

I never want to look back at my life and say, "I wish I had . . .";

Offline lauraSchumann

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero
  • It is what it is...
« Reply #62 on: July 21, 2009, 09:13:31 AM »
I think the Pierre newspaper thought they had a "hot" story to print when this all came out....
And then as time went on, and alittle outside pressure from law enforcement and the state, they were probably told
to "cool" it because of the politics of the who or what involved so they haven't printed much since.
Ahhhh the beauty of politics.

royalspur

« Reply #63 on: July 21, 2009, 11:03:08 AM »
i agree. politics and a little underhanded money can go a long long way  >:(

Offline LeLamb051772

• Dinosaur!
    • Double RR Quarter Horses
« Reply #64 on: July 21, 2009, 03:35:21 PM »
I am just thoroughly disgusted.....What that pooorrrr horse must be going thru~ emotionally, mentally, and physically.... and what must have went through his head ...... animals just don't understand, especially when they come from a wonderful, loving home....so trusting.....
Bless his heart.....  makes me so sad....   :'(
When you kneel before the Lord, you can stand before anything

Offline FlOwInWvIcToRy

« Reply #65 on: July 21, 2009, 04:56:26 PM »
IM SO SHOCKED! CANT BELIEVE WHAT I AM READING! GOT CHILLS FOR MILES! WOW... HOPE THEY FIND THE "FU" (cant finish that word) and GIVE EM WHAT FOR!!!!!!!!!!!!! Can't even imagine that happening to one of my guys! My heartfelt prayers!
....If heartaches were horses and hard times were cattle, I'd ride home at sunset sittin' tall in the saddle... "George Strait"

Offline cowgirl2y

• Novice Member
« Reply #66 on: July 22, 2009, 01:51:27 AM »
I don't know if you have anything like the Texas Rangers where you are but if you can get thm involved (Stockman of you Sheriff dept may do) Give them all the info especially since you know who did it etc i think you will get a better response.   Also take out the biggest add you can in any local or closest papers and post info all around and even offer a reward if you can.

Offline Aunt B

• Elite Member
  • Ebarrelracing.com rocks
« Reply #67 on: July 22, 2009, 12:37:13 PM »
Well saddest part is yes there may be arrests and even a conviction - BUT there is a 21 year old woman found guilty of a HATE crime in Ft. Pierre and got 2 years?????  Good thing she only threw eggs at them and called them names (according to the capjournal) - they were American Indians off the reservation at a local Wal-Mart.  Come on down to the hood here in Houston and throw some eggs and call folks names..lol we won't have to send ya to jail, just straight to the funeral home (if we find your body)...lol  Oh well, life in the small world... aahhhhhhh the good ole days.....
Don't tell God how big the storm is, tell the storm how big God is.....

Offline tinker bell

« Reply #68 on: July 23, 2009, 06:16:49 PM »
That made me sick to read!! I started crying just thinking about it!! IN MY PRAYERS

Offline cowgirldiva

• Mega Member
« Reply #69 on: July 23, 2009, 09:58:43 PM »
A guy from the local paper wants to interview people about their opinions on the Dually case...here is the [email protected] 
Max is home...with is girl Kaitlynn.

Offline Aunt B

• Elite Member
« Reply #70 on: July 26, 2009, 01:24:36 AM »
Horse theft affecting state, nation

By David Montgomery
Capital Journal staff
FORT PIERRE — When Marsha Swanberg heard about what had happened to the rodeo horse Dually after the Fourth of July Rodeo in Fort Pierre, she said she got sick to her stomach and cried for an hour. She still follows the case of the injured horse on a daily basis.

But Swanberg, like hundreds of other people paying close attention to the search for people suspected of injuring Dually, isn’t from near Fort Pierre. She’s a resident of Elk River, Minn., and is one example of how a crime committed in Fort Pierre has become a national story.

“I just can’t see somebody taking a horse and abusing it like that horse was abused,” said Swanberg, who looks for news about Dually on the rodeo Web site www.barrelhorseworld.com.

Helping spread the news is the tight-knit community of rodeo riders and horse owners. Denise Chambliss has been following the story from New Mexico, where she is a member of a professional rodeo association.

“The rodeo industry is one big family, and always has been from back in the ’40s,” Chambliss said. “I couldn’t believe it that anyone would have touched one of those horses.”

Rodeo rider Sharon Means agreed.

“On a couple of rodeo sites and barrel racing sites, it’s a large part of everybody’s daily discussion,” said Means, who grew up in Stanley County and now lives in Eagle Butte. “They’re all concerned. It’s a pretty close-knit group. Everybody wants to see that something is done because they don’t want to see it happen to them.”

Rodeo riders, horse lovers and other people following Dually’s case have approached the incident passionately. Many are furious about rumors Dually was tortured and want to see justice done to the perpetrators — and get angrier with every passing day with no arrests.

“You hear ups and downs,” Swanberg said, talking about comments she has read online. “You hear some people say, ‘Let the law take over.’ You hear people say, ‘Something ought to be done to them.’”

Local officials are well aware of the passion surrounding this case. Many said they’ve received e-mails and phone calls from people looking for information or complaining about the slow pace of the investigation.

“We’ve had lots of calls from outside our area,” said Stanley County Sheriff Brad Rathbun. “Of course we can’t give them information. I’ve been telling them they just need to wait and hear what’s factual and not what’s being blogged around.”

Stanley County State’s Attorney Tom Maher, who is investigating the case to prepare for arrest warrants, said he has also heard from irate callers.

“In the first week there was just a tremendous wave of outcry, contacts by phone and e-mail,” Maher said. “Since then it’s slowed down, but I get a call from Lexington, Kentucky, a call from Hawaii — calls from out of state and many, many people within South Dakota who are very concerned and outraged over what they’re reading.”

Maher said some of the people contacting him are looking for information about possible suspects or about the status of the investigation. Other people, he said, express concerns about the lack of arrests.

“Some people would ask me to give names and identify who the culprit is, to say what I think happened. That would be, in my view, out of line,” Maher said.

“The evidence is what drives the case. As new evidence comes in, that can affect the picture. You’re taught as an attorney to not base your decisions on what is rumored to happen or even what you read in a reliable newspaper or on the radio. You’ve got to act not on hearsay but on evidence.”

Some of the commentary on rodeo Web sites have made personal attacks on Maher and Rathbun and alleged the case is being “pushed under a rug.” Maher said the people who contact him have generally been respectful, but he said anonymous allegations of corruption are nonsense.

“I can’t even reply to that,” Maher said. “I frankly think that’s just nonsense and it’s irresponsible. If somebody is saying that or implying that on an anonymous blog and it’s true, they should report it to the police — either the local police or the Division of Criminal Investigation.”

Fort Pierre Mayor Sam Tidball said has fielded a number of calls as well.

“There’s a lot of interest, not only in our immediate area but around the state and in a number of other states,” Tidball said. “Word spread pretty fast. We’re waiting, of course, to get the final report of what the charges will be in the case.”

Means said she and other people are getting tired of waiting.

“I’d really like to see come up soon,” she said. “It is very important to everybody who travels with their horses. We don’t want to go to bed and worry if they’re going to be there in the morning.”

==========================================================================

Atleast it was a positive note and no "if a crime was committed" or if "the horse was hurt"..........

Offline lauraSchumann

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero
  • It is what it is...
« Reply #71 on: July 26, 2009, 08:26:16 AM »
WONDER IF THEY NEED ME TO SEND MY MOMMA UP THERE?

FROM THE TIME I COULD WALK SHE TALK ME NOT TO DRAG MY FEET, BUT PICK'M UP AND GO SOMEWHERE....  HMMMM????

Offline mammadearborn

• Posse Member
  • Elite Member
« Reply #72 on: July 26, 2009, 09:15:55 AM »
I think Sallie and I would make great traveling companions,  I'll go with her and watch her back
Love Generously, Praise Loudly, Live Fully

Offline Aunt B

• Elite Member
« Reply #73 on: July 26, 2009, 09:38:21 AM »
My dad is in SD right now, his ranch is about an hour from there.  Of course it - the dually case as it is referred to -is all the talk everywhere, the ranchers and townfolks have the same feelings we do.  There are a few that say David Dal is a good guy and he shouldn't be blamed/condemned for what his kid did, and then the folks are quick to jump up and say BUT he did/was help his kid as trying to hide the horse and rumored to be going to put the horse down and get rid of the evidence.  So with all those RUMORS going around... I can see where the DA is making sure the charges stick as a dismissed case could be regrouped but a dismissed case with prejudice is not what we want.  Any technicality overlooked would be reason to dismiss with prejudice and you can bet an elected official with this much heat NEVER wants that to come up at election time.

But on side note, I really had to laff at the fact that the sherriff's dept making statements that "Rodeo people move around and couldn't be reached".... like 100% of them have CELL phones, they called in to enter, bet the rodeo secretary has those records, and 85% of them have internet access  on the road,they are reading all the "blogging" so RUN AN AD....HEY COWBOYS WE ARE LOOKING FOR YOU......lol

Offline lauraSchumann

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero
  • It is what it is...
« Reply #74 on: July 26, 2009, 01:22:11 PM »
Heckkkkk Auntie B...dont cha know....bunch of ol' dumb cowboys don't know nuttin'....heck...
Got $100,000 invested in truck and a trailer---maybe that much in a few good horses....but
they couldn't afford to operate a TracFone don't ya know??  ROTFLMAO....

That had to be one of the worst thought out statements I'd read in quite a while.  
Where's your sign, buddy??  LOL.....
« Last Edit: July 26, 2009, 01:24:49 PM by lauraSchumann »