8am - 6pm
Event Info Click Here

Online Entries are Open
Printable Entry Form
Event Info Click Here

Online Entries Open April 14
Event Info Click Here

Online Entries are Open

Author Topic: Rodeo horse tortured in South Dakota.  (Read 26555 times)

Offline turnin horse power

Re: Rodeo horse tortured in South Dakota.
« Reply #75 on: July 28, 2009, 01:22:29 PM »
May be that someone needs to notify PETA, they might just be able to speed things up. No one wants a bunch of animal rights people in their town causing trouble. Just a thought ???

Offline hotpinkcowgirl

• Extreme Member
« Reply #76 on: July 28, 2009, 01:44:51 PM »
Someone shot and killed a buffalo on a private ranch yesterday.  I saw in the paper they are offering $1000 reward to catch the creep that did that.  Maybe SD needs to offer some reward money to get the accomplices to talk.

royalspur

« Reply #77 on: July 28, 2009, 02:31:56 PM »
May be that someone needs to notify PETA, they might just be able to speed things up. No one wants a bunch of animal rights people in their town causing trouble. Just a thought ???

as much as PETA might help, they may only draw negative attention to rodeo b/c PETA hates rodeo. They says it's torture and blah blah blah. they also think it's cruel to kill a fly(crazy !!! if you ask me).. If they only knew how well we take care of our rodeo athletes they might chill out a little bit. If you ask me it's much better than when ppl who have no clue about horses have them and don't know how to take care of them properly...never mind thats a whole diff subject don't get me started! I just hope Dually and his owner get justice!

Offline lauren-ridin-carley

• Extreme Member
« Reply #78 on: July 29, 2009, 11:57:56 AM »
I saw on BHW that they have a $1000 reward offered ....finally!!!
I want to get better each time I run!!

Offline lauren-ridin-carley

• Extreme Member
« Reply #79 on: July 29, 2009, 12:05:33 PM »
A $1000 reward is being offered by the South Dakota Rodeo Association for the arrest and conviction of the person or persons responsible for unlawfully taking a horse belonging to Wendy Halweg from the Stanley County Fairgrounds and 
severely mistreating him following the 4th of July rodeo.  Anyone that can provide information is asked to contact the SDRA office at 605-374-7731. 

I want to get better each time I run!!

Offline countryprincess

• Veteran Member
  • me & nephew
« Reply #80 on: July 29, 2009, 01:45:04 PM »

as much as PETA might help, they may only draw negative attention to rodeo b/c PETA hates rodeo. They says it's torture and blah blah blah. they also think it's cruel to kill a fly(crazy !!! if you ask me).. If they only knew how well we take care of our rodeo athletes they might chill out a little bit. If you ask me it's much better than when ppl who have no clue about horses have them and don't know how to take care of them properly...never mind thats a whole diff subject don't get me started! I just hope Dually and his owner get justice!

i know what u mean RS... there are some horses that are waaaayyyy skinny in the middle of town in some lady's lawn.. i've asked my mom to buy them several times just cause i feel sorry for them... i wouldn't buy an elephant just cause it looks cool..... but like u said thats a whole 'nother subject..

prayers that this whole thing gets settled the right way..
Bleed Purple - TSU '13

Offline MMRANCH02

• Dinosaur!
  • Prov. 3:5,6-TRUST in the Lord with ALL your heart
« Reply #81 on: July 30, 2009, 10:59:44 PM »
Got this month's BHN and guess what is on the very first page?  Editor writes about Dually!!  There is also a letter from the Dually fund in the letters section.

Maybe this kind of national pressure will start the ball rolling up there in SD to make something happen!  Sure hope so ...
Miriam Mize

The outside of a horse is good for the inside of a [wo-]man; Winston Churchill

I never want to look back at my life and say, "I wish I had . . .";

Offline MMRANCH02

• Dinosaur!
« Reply #82 on: August 06, 2009, 07:58:40 AM »
Ya'll, I wanna keep this bumped up.  This is such a grave matter, and I would like to think that we could put some pressure on these folks to get off high center and DO SOMETHING!!   On Monday, the Pierre paper published that there were looking for "all persons who have any reliable or first-hand knowledge".  This has been going on for over a month and they are just now looking for witnesses.  Not having anyone come forward will be a great excuse to have no arrests or convictions.  I woulda thought that the people at the location where they found the horse (the address is published) would have VERY reliable first hand knowledge - i personally think they are compicit and should been fined, at the very least!

Major kudos to BHN for covering this story.  I wonder why WPRA or whomever sponsored that rodeo is not up in arms?  Admittedly, I don't know squat about rodeo at that level, but surely a boycott of rodeo in that part of SD would speed things up due to the loss of revenue? 

Any thoughts from you pro card holding girls out there? 
Miriam Mize

Offline cowgirldiva

• Mega Member
« Reply #83 on: August 06, 2009, 09:16:11 AM »
Bump.
Max is home...with is girl Kaitlynn.

Offline br47

• Extreme Member
« Reply #84 on: August 06, 2009, 03:26:10 PM »
  :( :( :( bump

Offline lbreedl

• Faith makes things possible...not easy!
« Reply #85 on: August 06, 2009, 03:42:00 PM »
This situation with Dually got me so upset that I did copy the oroginal post from Wendy's mother and sent it to peta. I also looked up David Dahl's address and wrote him a letter encouraging them to do what's right. I also told him I was praying that God would use this situation to get his son to where he needs to be and get help. I told them I was praying for just that. I never do stuff like that but the whole situation makes my stomach turn. I can't believe the authorities are doing nothing. I wonder what would be happening if it had been one of their daughters or wives?

Offline turnin horse power

« Reply #86 on: August 06, 2009, 03:47:32 PM »
I too think this should be something to worry about. It could set a precidence of how important our horses are to us. The Rodeo community can either be tight nit or completely seperate in how it feels about things but when it comes to the animals involved we should all be concerned. This could have happened to one of the rodeo producers animals as easy as it was one of the BR horses. I've seen this happen on the state 4-h level with kids horses, heard stories in the roping community, there is no need to put any animal thru unnecessary harm. We in the overall horse community take pretty good care of the animals we have chosen to keep in our lives, for someone to harm them in such a cruel way it just makes me want to hide from the world even more that I already do.
Just wanted to BUMB it too >:( :-[

Offline BECKY H

• Veteran Member
« Reply #87 on: August 06, 2009, 05:02:43 PM »
It really is hard to believe that no arrest have been made.

Offline Imprettiest

« Reply #88 on: August 06, 2009, 05:07:05 PM »
   I read this post this morning.  I know it boils the blood to hear such things happen and it's a shame things like this happen and I wish there could be better laws against animal cruelty.  I have currently 3 rescue horses.  Two of which were left to die.  I know of the cruelty they suffer and the mental scars it leaves behind with them.  I have had rescue horses in the past with much worse stories, one of which I have named myself after.  Imprettiest is not an ego.  It's the name of a horse I helped recover who's horror story is too gross to mention. The owner of this horse in my openion deserved to be hung from a tree with piano wire and split open to dry in the sun for 4 or 5 days, but that's just me.

Offline MMRANCH02

• Dinosaur!
« Reply #89 on: August 06, 2009, 10:25:50 PM »
This situation with Dually got me so upset that I did copy the oroginal post from Wendy's mother and sent it to peta. I also looked up David Dahl's address and wrote him a letter encouraging them to do what's right. I also told him I was praying that God would use this situation to get his son to where he needs to be and get help. I told them I was praying for just that. I never do stuff like that but the whole situation makes my stomach turn. I can't believe the authorities are doing nothing. I wonder what would be happening if it had been one of their daughters or wives?

Now that's what I'm talking about!!  Way to go! This is not an easy thing to do, but I feel certain that enough pressure from folks like you, lbreedl, and anyone else that gets involved, will bring this tragedy to an end.  Did you hear anything back?  Prolly not, just curious!
Miriam Mize