8am - 6pm
Event Info Click Here

Online Entries are Open
Printable Entry Form
Event Info Click Here

Online Entries Open April 14
Event Info Click Here

Online Entries are Open

Author Topic: Rodeo horse tortured in South Dakota.  (Read 26558 times)

Offline the_jersey_lilly_2000

• Mega Member
Re: Rodeo horse tortured in South Dakota.
« Reply #90 on: August 06, 2009, 10:30:01 PM »
Now DCI is involved--it would be interesting to see whether the help was asked for or mandated, either way I would say it still will take some time, but at least there will be some sort of action in the end. Based on the KELO news tonight, it sounds like they received so much feedback after their show last night that maybe that is what helped get DCI involved. State's Attorney did contact KELO to clarify that the horse was "not found tied to a tree, but in a pen."

DCI Investigates Horse Theft

The Division of Criminal Investigation is involved in the case of Dually, the stolen horse. KELOLAND News received dozens of emails, phone calls and faxes, from Texas, Mississippi, Arkansas and California, from people who want to see whoever stole Dually brought to justice.

Horse lovers are angry. Not only that someone would steal someone else's horse, but also that someone might have abused it.

"I would want to know who that person is and put them in prison right away," Riley Riepma said.

Thirteen-year-old Riepma has been riding horses since she was two. She shows them now and just finished in the top 10 at the nationals in New Mexico.

Riley says stealing a horse is nothing like someone stealing a car.

"Because horses are living creatures and they have feelings. They can't be replaced," Riepma said.

Dually was taken from the Stanley County Fairgrounds over the 4th of July weekend and was found the next morning with rope burns around his face and legs. He's still being cared for at a veterinary clinic.

Iif you ask anyone who has ever owned a horse, they'll tell you, they're like family.

"That's just about as bad as a sister or brother," Riepma said.

Riley's grandpa, who also shows horses, is just as disgusted.

"I can't imagine anyone abusing a horse to the point where it can't be used and might have to be put down, " Ron Wieman said.

Tthe Stanley County State's Attorney, Tom Maher says Dually was not found tied to a tree, but in a holding pen at 921 1/2 Sale Barn Road in Fort Pierre. He's says anyone with reliable or first-hand knowledge should contact the Stanley County Sheriff's office.

http://www.keloland.com/NewsDetail6162.cfm?Id=88319
Animal Element Dealer in South East Texas!!! Your either running with it...or running against it.

Good cowgirls keep their calves together ;)

Offline lbreedl

• Faith makes things possible...not easy!
« Reply #91 on: August 06, 2009, 11:38:52 PM »
This situation with Dually got me so upset that I did copy the oroginal post from Wendy's mother and sent it to peta. I also looked up David Dahl's address and wrote him a letter encouraging them to do what's right. I also told him I was praying that God would use this situation to get his son to where he needs to be and get help. I told them I was praying for just that. I never do stuff like that but the whole situation makes my stomach turn. I can't believe the authorities are doing nothing. I wonder what would be happening if it had been one of their daughters or wives?

Now that's what I'm talking about!!  Way to go! This is not an easy thing to do, but I feel certain that enough pressure from folks like you, lbreedl, and anyone else that gets involved, will bring this tragedy to an end.  Did you hear anything back?  Prolly not, just curious!

mmranch02
I have not heard anything back yet... maybe tomorrow I will fax to peta, may get attention faster.
Has anyone heard how Dually is doing?

Offline clpayne10

• Extreme Member
« Reply #92 on: August 07, 2009, 04:23:10 PM »
i see they posted another statement in the SD paper saying they are still working on it.  Probably trying to get the phone calls and comments to slow down but they are out of luck on that until this is settled.

Offline turnin horse power

« Reply #93 on: August 07, 2009, 04:26:07 PM »
bump

Offline clpayne10

• Extreme Member
« Reply #94 on: August 08, 2009, 09:31:39 AM »
bump bump

Roadrunner

« Reply #95 on: August 08, 2009, 12:39:39 PM »
JMO, but please don't involve PETA. They won't be of any help and will only use this incident to further their own selfish, self-serving causes. Dually or justice for the wrongs done to him will not be their priority.

Offline majc353

• Elite Member
  • Ebarrelracing.com rocks
« Reply #96 on: August 11, 2009, 09:28:08 AM »
If Everyone  on here would follow lbreedl's example and write a letter and send it to Congressman, councilmen, newspapers, radio stations, tv stations, cruelty investigators in SD, the local paper in SD and the DCI it could help and it can't hurt. Dually need more letters, keep them coming - I applaud LbreedL for her efforts!! This is dragging way to long for there to be a positive end result for Dually - Hopefully Wendy will file a civil suit for the medical bills and the loss of use of Dually - That man that has "Deep Pockets" needs to be hit in the pocket book if  the police department isn't going to help Wendy and Dually. He also needs the bad publicity  so peopel will stop buying his saddles etc. JMO....

Offline 2manyhorses

• Novice Member
« Reply #97 on: August 11, 2009, 05:02:11 PM »
I have seen this post on ebarrelracing for some time and have not read it tell now.  I didn't read it before just because I knew it would disgust  me.  Me and my family are very active in Barrel Racing, but we also raise show pigs.  In June we sold two pigs to family for a county fair in Texas.  They purchased the pigs from us on a Friday and on Monday morning we recv a call that someone had broke into the Ag barn and gutted the pigs.  Very Very sad!  He called the cops and it was on the TV, the cops pretty much blew it off it was just some pigs.  The kids that did it went around bragging about it, yet still he could not get the local cops to get involved, so he called the Texas Rangers.  Before the Texas Rangers got involved they had already shot two heifers, this was a week after they killed the pigs.  The Texas Rangers got involved and are holding the scum accountable.  Too bad we can't send the Texas Rangers to SD they would make sure they are held accountable for their actions.  The cops don't get it, it may start with them killing or toruring animals but then it will turn into people.  Anyone that will harm an animals has some serious issues and should be delt with. 

Offline the_jersey_lilly_2000

• Mega Member
« Reply #98 on: August 11, 2009, 10:41:37 PM »
Rodeo horse Dually released from clinic
By David Montgomery
Capital Journal staff
Published/Last Modified on Tuesday, Aug 11, 2009 - 10:05:41 pm CDT

PIERRE -- Owner Wendy Halweg said her horse Dually was released Aug. 5 from the veterinary clinic where he has been recovering for the past month.

Dually had been under veterinary care since July 5, when he was recovered injured outside a house on Sale Barn Road in Fort Pierre after disappearing from his stall on the Stanley County Fairgrounds.

Halweg said Dually is still slowly recovering.

"He's just healing," she said. "I'm wrapping legs and cleaning every day. He's confined to a stall and we walk him for exercise each day. We're making progress -- slow progress."

Dually is still being monitored by a veterinarian and is due for a checkup next week, Halweg said.

Halweg encouraged anyone with knowledge about the incident where Dually disappeared from his stall and was recovered injured to contact law enforcement.

"If anybody has information, don't think that it's not needed," she said. "If they've seen anything or have anything to come forward with, that would be great."

Animal Element Dealer in South East Texas!!! Your either running with it...or running against it.

Good cowgirls keep their calves together ;)

Offline MMRANCH02

• Dinosaur!
  • Prov. 3:5,6-TRUST in the Lord with ALL your heart
« Reply #99 on: August 12, 2009, 07:12:23 AM »
Thanks, Lil, for the update!
Miriam Mize

The outside of a horse is good for the inside of a [wo-]man; Winston Churchill

I never want to look back at my life and say, "I wish I had . . .";

Offline lbreedl

• Faith makes things possible...not easy!
« Reply #100 on: August 13, 2009, 10:36:30 PM »
It is GOOD news that Dually is recovering.
I think a benefit barrel race for vet expenses would be a great idea. I wish I were closer to help get one going.
Any South Dakota folks up for it? Thats a good way to get some attention also.
Thank you LIL

Offline Aunt B

• Elite Member
« Reply #101 on: August 14, 2009, 12:55:17 AM »
JMO, but please don't involve PETA. They won't be of any help and will only use this incident to further their own selfish, self-serving causes. Dually or justice for the wrongs done to him will not be their priority.

THANK YOU THANK YOU - please don't invovle PETA they already are being a pain in the butt sticking their 2 cents worth in - like why was the horse left unattended to be stolen???? Please we don't need that bs invoveled!!!!
Don't tell God how big the storm is, tell the storm how big God is.....

Offline Aunt B

• Elite Member
« Reply #102 on: August 14, 2009, 12:57:17 AM »
Ya'll, I wanna keep this bumped up.  This is such a grave matter, and I would like to think that we could put some pressure on these folks to get off high center and DO SOMETHING!!   On Monday, the Pierre paper published that there were looking for "all persons who have any reliable or first-hand knowledge".  This has been going on for over a month and they are just now looking for witnesses.  Not having anyone come forward will be a great excuse to have no arrests or convictions.  I woulda thought that the people at the location where they found the horse (the address is published) would have VERY reliable first hand knowledge - i personally think they are compicit and should been fined, at the very least!

Major kudos to BHN for covering this story.  I wonder why WPRA or whomever sponsored that rodeo is not up in arms?  Admittedly, I don't know squat about rodeo at that level, but surely a boycott of rodeo in that part of SD would speed things up due to the loss of revenue? 

The rodeo association is the one offering the reward......

Any thoughts from you pro card holding girls out there? 
Don't tell God how big the storm is, tell the storm how big God is.....

Offline lauraSchumann

• pay attention you might learn somethin'...
  • Global Moderator
  • Super Hero
  • It is what it is...
« Reply #103 on: August 14, 2009, 08:45:03 AM »
I'd boycott it if I was traveling--not trying to hurt the sport of rodeo, or the people who committee or produce. In order to "produce" an effect on those responsible for this and hopefully concluding with the effect it would have on the few involved. Long after the rodeo "would have been" I think those folks without a fist full of dollars from economic impact will be less likely to be as welcoming or warm to those hometown thugs that did this.
If you reach the bottom of a barrel, find another barrel.
~answering your questions on trainers corner~

Offline turnin horse power

« Reply #104 on: August 15, 2009, 03:29:44 PM »
 >:( >:( >:(bump >:( >:( >:( ??? ??? ???