8am - 6pm
Event Info Click Here

Online Entries are Open
Printable Entry Form
Event Info Click Here

Online Entries Open April 14
Event Info Click Here

Online Entries are Open

Author Topic: Rearing colt in Alley way  (Read 5395 times)

Offline Kimmy Jean

• Veteran Member
Rearing colt in Alley way
« on: July 20, 2009, 12:33:29 PM »
Hey Laura I'm hoping you may be able to help me.  I have a 5 year old colt that I am riding sent him off to be broke when he was 2 camre back great I have been riding him at home on the barrels off and on for the past year and a half just trotting and loping nothing fast.  I also trail ride on him take him down the rode so we are not always doing the barrel pattern.  This year I have started taking him with me to jackpots where I run my other horse and doing an exhibition on him and just trotting and sometimes a slow lope.  He has gotton to were he does not want to go into the alley way he will just stop and try to turn around try to rear up.  About a month ago I took him up there and just walked in and out and got him to were he wasnt stopping would just go right in the next 2 weeks went to exhibition him and he did good I thought YES I have it mastered.  HA!  He has started it up again and it is getting to be bad with the rearing up I'm not sure what else to do.  The only other time he tries me is when he is tired and hot and thinks it is time to stop, he will try stopping and rearing up a little.  I just dont know where to go from here?? 

Offline Kimmy Jean

• Veteran Member
Re: Rearing colt in Alley way
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2009, 02:24:38 PM »
Anybody have any coments  ???

Offline PunkinNMe

• Custom tack, Hand-painted belts, Jewelry and More . . . CrystalCaballo.com
  • Posse Member
  • Dinosaur!
  • CrystalCaballo.com
    • CrystalCaballo.com
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2009, 02:53:35 PM »
I just dont know where to go from here?? 

I'd say straight to the vet's office.
He is young, and you'd reasonably assume that he just needs an attitude adjustment.  But before going that route, you should rule out any pain.

Once you've ruled out pain or injury (teeth, back, legs, feet, saddle fit), then it's time to look at you.

We're still giving him the benefit of the doubt.

So, have someone video you riding him in and out of the arena.  Video those times that you are just relaxing and letting him walk in and out with no work and video when you are trying to take him in for an exhibition.  You may be geeking up and scaring him . . . by tensing up, picking up on your reins, the way you are sitting in your saddle, you may be cueing him to be frightened.  Watch the videos yourself, but also have someone else watch them.  Heck post them here!

If you rule out you cueing him to do it . . . and you've ruled out pain . . . he just needs an attitude adjustment.
He has figured out how to get out of work.

That would be the time to start taking him into the arena, preparing like you are going to run . . . but then allowing him to just lope big circles around the barrels and relax.
If he rears up in the alleyway, untrack him.  Put his mind on moving his feet.  Can't get him to move straight up through the alleyway, turn tight correct circles . . . Side pass . . .  back up . . . lope circles and then head him back up in there . .. every time he refuses he works - hard.  When he goes in, he relaxes.  Take him to the first barrel, stop him at the rate point and unsaddle him.  From that point on only unsaddle him within the pattern, even if you didn't work the pattern that day.  Take him around the first and stop him at the second, loosen him up and walk him out of the arena.

Some people come into the world and stay for a long time. Others are so powerful that do not have to stay long to change someones life.

Offline Kimmy Jean

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2009, 11:44:01 AM »
Ok thanks for the advice I will make him an appointmetn to go in and get checded out, I just had his teeth done.  and will also see if I can get someone to video me so I can post on here.  Thanks!!

Offline lauraSchumann

• pay attention you might learn somethin'...
  • Global Moderator
  • Super Hero
  • It is what it is...
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2009, 08:53:55 AM »
I just dont know where to go from here?? 

I'd say straight to the vet's office.
He is young, and you'd reasonably assume that he just needs an attitude adjustment.  But before going that route, you should rule out any pain.

Once you've ruled out pain or injury (teeth, back, legs, feet, saddle fit), then it's time to look at you.

We're still giving him the benefit of the doubt.

So, have someone video you riding him in and out of the arena.  Video those times that you are just relaxing and letting him walk in and out with no work and video when you are trying to take him in for an exhibition.  You may be geeking up and scaring him . . . by tensing up, picking up on your reins, the way you are sitting in your saddle, you may be cueing him to be frightened.  Watch the videos yourself, but also have someone else watch them.  Heck post them here!

If you rule out you cueing him to do it . . . and you've ruled out pain . . . he just needs an attitude adjustment.
He has figured out how to get out of work.

That would be the time to start taking him into the arena, preparing like you are going to run . . . but then allowing him to just lope big circles around the barrels and relax.
If he rears up in the alleyway, untrack him.  Put his mind on moving his feet.  Can't get him to move straight up through the alleyway, turn tight correct circles . . . Side pass . . .  back up . . . lope circles and then head him back up in there . .. every time he refuses he works - hard.  When he goes in, he relaxes.  Take him to the first barrel, stop him at the rate point and unsaddle him.  From that point on only unsaddle him within the pattern, even if you didn't work the pattern that day.  Take him around the first and stop him at the second, loosen him up and walk him out of the arena.

Hi...I'm going to wholeheartedly agree with what Ve has put in here for you to read.  But in the "red" I've outlined is probably what I see in 80% of all young horses.  We do not realize it, but we are cueing a horse for anxiety.  Its possible that although you think you are relaxed  actually you are tightening up the reins in anticipation of maintaining your position to the barrel from the start in the approach to it.  I do not think mega sweat type work in the alley is your answer.  I think maintaining a position of one hand on the rein, with the mindset you are going up that alley like you are going for a ride in the pasture is best.  I also think that you need to stop trying to position the horse until you get his feet moving.  When he starts trotting up the alley with one hand on the rein, at a relaxed pace, go on in there a few steps and THEN put two hands on the reins and position him AFTER you have FORWARD MOTION.  What you are doing promotes his mindset to stay in the relaxed mode, and you are telling him with your hands and your body that its more important to stay moving forward with his feet than anything else.  You are also putting his mindset to the point of his thinking "hmmmmm this aint no big deal..." and he is only concentrating on ONE thing, and not your hands, how much lift you want, your feet, his ribcage...yada yada.
Go to the arena and take him and do nothing but walk in the alley, go to the left make a circle all the way around the arena and walk out. Then trot all the way from the back of the alley, come down it, go to the left and trot all the way around the arena and trot out.
Do this alittle bit---ride with with no tension on the reins---just like you are in the pasture somewhere.  When he can do this consistantly without any balk....its time to go back to exhibition.  When you go exhibition---you are going with that same mindset....forward motion and relaxation.  (also...I am telling you to go to the leftside of the arena for a reason---it is to compensate his anxiety that you are going to pick him up on that side like you were going to his first barrel).

Let us know how you are doing....if you need any advice or help....feel free to give me a call.

Thanks,
Laura Schumann
Laura's Ladder To Success Barrel Clinics
I BELIEVE TOUR 2009
If you reach the bottom of a barrel, find another barrel.
~answering your questions on trainers corner~

Offline Kimmy Jean

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2009, 01:39:04 PM »
Thanks Laura I will let yall know :)

Offline Kimmy Jean

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2009, 02:59:25 PM »
Just wanted to say thank you all for the comments and advice.  I think it may have been me tensing up and getting ready.  2 weeks ago I had my mom go with me and she rode him and was just nice and easy and he did fine with her.  I took him last Wed and just walked in one handed with lots of reins and kept remimding myself to relax and he went in fine no balk at all walked in and out several times and he did perfect!!  This week We will try going in at a walk and trot still not going to exhibition for awhile just going to keep this positive activity up for a while then we wll try exhibitioning again.

Offline lauraSchumann

• pay attention you might learn somethin'...
  • Global Moderator
  • Super Hero
  • It is what it is...
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2009, 04:39:40 AM »
Perfect!!! :) :)

LS
If you reach the bottom of a barrel, find another barrel.
~answering your questions on trainers corner~