8am - 6pm
Event Info Click Here

Online Entries are Open
Printable Entry Form
Event Info Click Here

Online Entries Open April 14
Event Info Click Here

Online Entries are Open

Author Topic: Turning with Speed  (Read 3441 times)

Offline ashley.robinson

• Novice Member
Turning with Speed
« on: December 12, 2008, 09:43:27 AM »
Hello,
I have a coming 5yr old gelding whom I think has huge potential in barrel racing. I sent him to have a 30 days professional slow work done on him, and he picked the pattern up very quickly. I have continued his work on the pattern, and now he is loping the pattern beautifully, but I have problems when I speed him up. The gelding is 16.2 hands, incredibly powerful, and he takes off like a freight train...so our barrels are very wide and sloppy when asking him to run. I have been working him in an oring gag training snaffle, but with that I have no stop on him when he is running, so Ive got a pull on him now (reins attached at the saddle, and then through the bit) so that I can have the strength to stop him at speed (which he does wonderfully). I have been working him on the pattern in this set-up now, and have done alot of exercised just running to the barrels, stopping him and backing up, and then asking him to run around the barrel and so on. Do you have any other advice that you think might work, or should I just continue doing what I'm doing. I tried slowing him down and going back to square one..but he just does the pattern perfect so I think I'm down to working him fast now. Any advice would help...I had his teeth looked at in June and they were fine...Thank You!! ;)

Offline lauraSchumann

• pay attention you might learn somethin'...
  • Global Moderator
  • Super Hero
  • It is what it is...
Re: Turning with Speed
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2008, 09:48:48 PM »
Hi...I have been asked to answer this question for you... <HI> <HI> <HI>

Without seeing your horse work it is very hard to answer this question so I am going to make the assumption that this gelding is very smart and came along very quick since you say he came along so fast in a 30 period. 

I am going to suggest to you that it is time that the "draw rig" come off...and put a leather noseband tiedown on him fairly loose so he can adjust to it.  From what you are saying (and I am understanding...) that the gelding is having a hard time
getting in the ground at each barrel as the speed factor has hit him.  The draw rein situation is tucking your horse up so much at the poll that in the process you have so much control of the front end, you have lost the control of the rear end.
The tiedown will allow your gelding to "brace" against his own body per say and allow you the opportunity to engage his hindquarters before the turn.  You should be able to obtain better position before the turn.  Also make sure that this gelding has ample room in the pocket and you are not allowing him to "point" his turn too soon---if that happens you will automatically loose your pocket and he will take that stride he should be putting in at that point and have to physically put that step in on the back of the barrel OR take one more stride past the barrel.

Also...when doing your slow work....make sure! that you do not allow this horse to start from the alley at one speed and then 3-4 strides away from the barrel increase speed even if he is anxious to go work....that is what I call acceleration before the turn and when letting a horse (especially a horse of his size) do this consistantly, you will feel him push on your hands at the beginning of the turn in a place where the horse should "fold" to the pressure of your hands as you lift and pick up.  Remember when working a horse, especially a young horse...that if you go one speed to a barrel in slow work, that a stride from the barrel you need to "downshift" a gear...by doing that you will tell your horse it is time to engage his hocks and get ready for the turn.

Hope some of this helps....please let me know how you are doing... <HI> <HI>

Laura Schumann
Lauras Ladder to Success Barrel Clinics
"I Believe" Tour 2009

If you reach the bottom of a barrel, find another barrel.
~answering your questions on trainers corner~

Offline ashley.robinson

• Novice Member
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2008, 12:39:49 PM »
Thanks so much for the advice! I will certainly try it out on him when the weather clears up (d@#% Kansas winters!!!). I have rode lots of horses, and trained my other barrel horse (hes a 2D horse), but Buster is a whole new ball game for me. I've never had a horse of his caliber...so I am trying my best not to mess him up! Thanks again, and happy holidays!!
Ashley  REINDEER

Offline lauraSchumann

• pay attention you might learn somethin'...
  • Global Moderator
  • Super Hero
  • It is what it is...
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2008, 06:59:08 PM »
You can do it....just "believe"..... <(' ')> <(' ')> <(' ')>

LS
If you reach the bottom of a barrel, find another barrel.
~answering your questions on trainers corner~

Offline snap1234

• Novice Member
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2009, 05:29:59 PM »
Some bigger horse's have trouble with turns because its hard for them to move there body around the barrel, i not a pro trainer but i would say practice big to small circles and use a barrel for your center point, it helps with turn and release and forward motion.
You can do it....just "believe"..... <(' ')> <(' ')> <(' ')>

LS
:)