8am - 6pm
Event Info Click Here

Online Entries are Open
Printable Entry Form
Event Info Click Here

Online Entries Open April 14
Event Info Click Here

Online Entries are Open

Author Topic: shoieng tip of the week  (Read 9893 times)

Offline calamity28

Re: shoieng tip of the week
« Reply #15 on: August 10, 2009, 01:39:04 PM »
I run a barefoot horse. She has real tough feet so she handles it well. I am however careful about how much I let her on rock and concrete. I try to "plan" my trips back and forth to trailers and barns. We live on sandy land so she does give some on rocks. Concrete does not seem to be a problem. We have gotten all of our horses barefoot now.

Offline Jack&Sharon

• Elite Member
  • GOD BLESS AND HAVE A GREAT DAY
    • Sharon Brooks Mannatech
« Reply #16 on: August 10, 2009, 01:58:20 PM »
I have been doing the barefoot for 3 yrs now. A good friend started me looking at the idea . I had a club footed horse I new if I were to put shoes on him I would have alot of trouble keeping him sound. I was paying 50.00 to have a xhorses shoer come trim my horses. But he would only come every 5 weeks an that is all I could afford . When I waited that long my horses would get alittle sore because of the length of time before I could get them trimmed. An what I learned their feet grew much faster barefoot. So I started trimming them myself. Now 2 yrs later I have learned if I do them when they look like the are out of balance they do not get sore. They all have such thick souls that they can walk on anything. When I have trouble is when it rains alot, they get too soft. So I clean their hoofs out , the soft stuff an then put a hoof hardener in them . Think about it, the natural horse that is barefoot ware his feet off buy walking over rocks an tuff terrine. So that is why I stared doing them myself. I trim 6 head of horses. Also a natural trim is not the trim a shoer would do to put a shoe on. They trim a hoof flat. I have a horse that is a flexer tendon horse an has a hoof that he nearly cut completely off when he was a colt. That foot is complete sound , the scare I keep treated with thrush meds. I have to look at my horses feet everyday to make sure they dont get thrush to eat the good soul out. I do use boots on the horse I am hauling if I know where I am going is really bad with alot of rock. I use soft ride boots. But my horse are more sound now , an I was a person that had my barrel horses done every 5 weeks , they never missed a shoeing. Their feet are the most important thing as for as I am concerned. I also keep gravel around my waterer's an feed troff's . It is funny they will go stand in the gravel , like they are getting a foot massage. If you will look in Valley Vet you can find a product call soul gard. I use that also. I hope I never have to shoe a horse again. My vet Dr David Nickols the vet that stared horse to wearing lifts, says if you can go the barefoot it is the best way.

Offline MMRANCH02

• Dinosaur!
  • Prov. 3:5,6-TRUST in the Lord with ALL your heart
« Reply #17 on: August 10, 2009, 02:01:45 PM »
Funniest thing about this thread is that tho our shoer started it, we have brought it to the point where we are discussing being barefoot, and he has not even had a chance to comment!!  I am sure he is under a horse, sweating somewhere, and here we are in the a/c discussing footwear.  We are so funny like that - take a subject and run with it - I just love it; can't wait to hear what Hagen says on this!

Rocks at Crockett are pretty treacherous also.  We found that out during the THSRA year.  We also were told by our shoer to just take it easy over the rough patches and let 'em rip everywhere else.  With me doing some rides out in the deer lease, shoes are kinda key as some of the areas have some pretty big rocks.  

The two youngsters of mine are barefoot, tho, and are fine.  Sunshine's feet are all black and very good.  Shorty was very tender last time he was trimmed, poor thing, but he came to us with poor frogs so we are trying to get some more circulation in them.

don't forget stuff like venice turpentine to toughen up them softies, ladies - it really works!!
Miriam Mize

The outside of a horse is good for the inside of a [wo-]man; Winston Churchill

I never want to look back at my life and say, "I wish I had . . .";

Offline lauraSchumann

• pay attention you might learn somethin'...
  • Global Moderator
  • Super Hero
  • It is what it is...
« Reply #18 on: August 10, 2009, 02:12:32 PM »
Miriam is right. Venice turpentine and pine tar! Really works to toughen up a hoof. But I've never believed in the fact that if you lead a horse over some rocks, letm get used to it over time, then you can ride over them after a while really works. The deal is the more the hoof hardens the more impact it can receive. Other things contribute to the hoof being able to handle you riding across--not practice to do it. :). That's like saying---if I practice walking on glass one day my feet will adjust. It just doesn't work like that. :)
Deb--i run levi barefoot. Always have and always will. The most crippled he everrrr was, was the day I let a very prominent "hotshot" shoer talk me into shoes. It was a horrible mistake. I leave his frog alittle thicker to help absorb the impact and let the natural roll of his toe come into play for his trim. Can he walk across rocks?? Not very well, but I know how to lead him and I get on and off and I watch where I go and where I park.
If you reach the bottom of a barrel, find another barrel.
~answering your questions on trainers corner~

Offline the_jersey_lilly_2000

• Mega Member
« Reply #19 on: August 10, 2009, 02:17:41 PM »
That's the biggest thing, watchin where you park. I will always take a grassy spot over concrete, asphalt, or rocks.
Animal Element Dealer in South East Texas!!! Your either running with it...or running against it.

Good cowgirls keep their calves together ;)

Offline HaleyT

• Elite Member
  • **THORNERANCH.COM
    • THORNERANCH.COM
« Reply #20 on: August 10, 2009, 02:20:51 PM »
Not one of my horses is shoed on all 4. Some just have front shoes, and most are barefoot.
**********THORNERANCH.COM**********
http://www.thorneranch.com/

Offline debhorses

• letz get this party!!!!!
  • Posse Member
  • Super Hero
  • Ebarrelracing.com rocks
« Reply #21 on: August 10, 2009, 02:26:17 PM »
wow...haggy is gonna have lots to read when he gets here!!! 

and lauroooo...i see how good levi was on his feet chasing my poor tiny lil GUSSIE away from his girlfriends!!!! he no look no cripple anymore!!!!!!! dang i wish i got pics of GUS submersed in the dang pond
can't wait till May!!!

Offline Jack&Sharon

• Elite Member
  • GOD BLESS AND HAVE A GREAT DAY
    • Sharon Brooks Mannatech
« Reply #22 on: August 10, 2009, 02:38:18 PM »
Not one of my horses is shoed on all 4. Some just have front shoes, and most are barefoot.
Haley is your good paint mare shoed?

Offline causinchaos05

• Dinosaur!
« Reply #23 on: August 10, 2009, 02:47:25 PM »
Mine are barefoot. I had just trimmed them in may when I moved to SM. They were extremely sore for about 2 weeks but now they can walk across rocks and gravel without a problem. I am going to get them trimmed this weekend or next week and lets hope they stay sound! Right now the only place I have to ride is either a concrete hard arena which they wont drag or paastures full of rocks and cactus OR on the side of the asphalt roads. Jazz is fine, I just let her pick her way across the rocks. Fire is a little more hesitant but isnt gimpy. They do adjust. Neither of mine have ever had shoes and I am trying to keep it that way.

Offline calamity28

« Reply #24 on: August 10, 2009, 02:59:20 PM »
Poor horshoer guy. He sorta got his post taken over by barefooters. Hope he does alot of trims!

Offline josies jockey

• Fossil
  • The WORD works for those who work the WORD!!
« Reply #25 on: August 10, 2009, 03:18:40 PM »
ok question u who run barrels with barefooted horses..how do they handle the rocks and concrete and all the stuff at the different facilities? are they more susceptable to stone bruises and being gimpy? i have a rock driveway and the one that is a pasture ornament when he walks across he bout drops-he cant handle the rocks..i'd be so scared mine would go lame without shoes and stepping on all the crude

Deb the grasshopper has NEVER had shoes (or been trimmed) she is 8 this year.. I have never had an abcess, stone bruise or gimp... and you know everywhere I have taken/hauled her..
Bubba on the other hand cant walk out of the shaving barefoot!  I pulled his shoes off for a vacation several years ago and gave up and had to take him to Kermits for shoes... he is a woosy and can't walk of concrete with out shoes on...
« Last Edit: August 10, 2009, 03:21:02 PM by josies jockey »
Horse Trader Exstrodinare... One of the only people you will ever meet with their own bag of PIXIE DUST...

Offline Cowboy Up Dude

• Extreme Member
« Reply #26 on: August 10, 2009, 03:25:02 PM »
I would love to hear from a horseshoers' point of view and the insight he can share with the board?  I like the idea.......
The only horse I have shod right now is only shod on his front feet because of lameness issues, do we haul alot? not really but we haven't had any issues either when we go places... I watch where I park, even my kids watch for me... I have been known to leave them standing in trailer if I had to, not on a hot day but I have done it before when needed.
Its a work in progress................

Offline debhorses

• letz get this party!!!!!
  • Posse Member
  • Super Hero
  • Ebarrelracing.com rocks
« Reply #27 on: August 10, 2009, 03:36:11 PM »
JJ..ya u got anywhere and everywhere!! 

ok so when Joker got done he shoes were pulled off..he's has had them on since he was at least 6.. and he is 19 now..sooo,  after only 10 days of no shoes his feet looked ragged..and i mean ragged...yuk!!! why?
can't wait till May!!!

Offline HaleyT

• Elite Member
  • **THORNERANCH.COM
    • THORNERANCH.COM
« Reply #28 on: August 10, 2009, 03:49:56 PM »
Haley is your good paint mare shoed?
Just front shoes. I have run her several times (Henderson rodeo comes to mind, I won 2nd) with no shoes at all.
**********THORNERANCH.COM**********
http://www.thorneranch.com/

Offline threewishes

• Dinosaur!
  • GOD IS GREAT-BEER IS GOOD-& PEOPLE ARE CRAZY
« Reply #29 on: August 10, 2009, 03:52:12 PM »
all bare foot here and plan to stay that way.
CowGirls don't Cry
Ride Baby Ride!