8am - 6pm
Event Info Click Here

Online Entries are Open
Printable Entry Form
Event Info Click Here

Online Entries Open April 14
Event Info Click Here

Online Entries are Open

Author Topic: shoieng tip of the week  (Read 9892 times)

Offline barrel58

• Veteran Member
Re: shoieng tip of the week
« Reply #45 on: August 11, 2009, 07:56:37 AM »
Has any of you thought the horse is lazy when he clicks, my old horse when he wasn't in competion he would not pick up his feet and I kept yelling at Robbie to fix it. So we took video and sure enough he is lazy till he runs.
Come running with your hat down.

Offline citygonecountry

• Dinosaur!
  • My Furry Family!!
« Reply #46 on: August 11, 2009, 09:33:31 AM »
That is what I have been told too, when they click they are being lazy and not wanting to pick up their feet
"Dear Lord, Please Help Me to Be the Kind of Person My Dog Thinks I Am!"
"Whenever we have the opportunity, we should do good to everyone..." Gal. 6:10a

stbra.org

Offline majc353

• Elite Member
  • Ebarrelracing.com rocks
« Reply #47 on: August 11, 2009, 09:50:12 AM »
OK - I don't see my problem on here - so We recently purchased a mare  last month with "underslung" heels on the front - apparently she was on the track for a short time and I am curious - is underslung heels a conformation type issue or one that was created by incorrect shoeing/trimming.  We are having trouble with her 3rd barrel - when she is running,  she blow out to the side, I was told her feet are hurting her - I have been told have wedges put on, I was also told that wedges can cause other problems - What to do? I was thinking about having her xrayed to see what her angles should be and if she is trimmed wrong. Wondering if anyone has dealt with this before?

Offline t_orchosky

• Veteran Member
« Reply #48 on: August 11, 2009, 09:53:14 AM »
Has any of you thought the horse is lazy when he clicks, my old horse when he wasn't in competion he would not pick up his feet and I kept yelling at Robbie to fix it. So we took video and sure enough he is lazy till he runs.

I had one farrier tell me he was being lazy but once my good farrier started working on it the problem decreased. He clicks only when he walks. fast walk or slow walk, pasture or riding? he is a VERY lazy horse when he's not running so I gues it's possible.....
http://dodiebarrelrace.weebly.com/
Benefit barrel race for Dodie Martindale - check it out!!!!

Offline Farrier 4 U

« Reply #49 on: August 11, 2009, 10:15:21 AM »
IN the case of a navicular horse it can be very hard to get the angle right to make the horse comfortable. When i do run into acase of navicular i will usually leave about 1/4 to 1/2 inch between the bar and the frog it is also a possibilty to trim the frog down a little to have that clearance.

Offline Farrier 4 U

« Reply #50 on: August 11, 2009, 10:25:53 AM »
I would defintly have the hind feet shortend up a little. It could be he may be alittle lazy but when you are at a fast walk or a run its not good that he is clicking.

Offline Gabe's Babe

• Defender of The Bored!!! Wait, Board???
  • Charter Member
  • Demi-God
    • Rachael's Equine Services
« Reply #51 on: August 11, 2009, 10:26:51 AM »
For the clicking, Gabe clicks his back feet...the inside of his back feet together.....Brent simply started working on turning them back right....not allowing the inside wall to be shorter than the outside wall, and he is not doing it as much anymore.

Offline Farrier 4 U

« Reply #52 on: August 11, 2009, 10:38:07 AM »
Horses with underslung heels = I have a mare that has underslung heels and pigeon toed she has never had a lameness issue. If the horse is underslung and You cant get any heel growth a wedge isn't a bad idea until you have heel. I use a aluminum wedged shoe for 2 - 3 shoeings then go to a steel over time the aluminum will crush them just a bad and the steel doesn't . Reason for that is aluminum is lighter and gives with the back half of the hoof and steel does not. As far as getting X-Rays if the farrier would like to have them as well as the owner . I like to see X -Rays to its not a bad thing to have.

Offline horselady

• Extreme Member
« Reply #53 on: August 11, 2009, 12:48:35 PM »
IN the case of a navicular horse it can be very hard to get the angle right to make the horse comfortable. When i do run into acase of navicular i will usually leave about 1/4 to 1/2 inch between the bar and the frog it is also a possibilty to trim the frog down a little to have that clearance.

Is that the heel as well? If so how are you doing it because attaching the metal bar to the back of the shoe does not allow this.
I LOVE MY MARINE (SON)!
1st deployment, Al Karmah, Iraq

Offline Farrier 4 U

« Reply #54 on: August 11, 2009, 04:23:12 PM »
U can infact clean out around the heels and frog to allow this room. if the room is still not enough the equipack will help pad the frog and the shoe. it is a procedure but it is very possible to make it work and keep the horse sound and comfortable.

Offline lauraSchumann

• pay attention you might learn somethin'...
  • Global Moderator
  • Super Hero
  • It is what it is...
« Reply #55 on: August 11, 2009, 04:30:57 PM »
I want say something here too. Haggypoo could say that I'm wrong but I don't think he will. Lots of peeps overlook build when complaining a horse is clicking their heels. A horse with a long leg and a short underline is lost apt to do this lazy or not sometimes, or a horse with longer pasterns. Think about it folks--if you put shoes on your weiner dog...bet he wouldn't click would he?? Somethings you just gotta use common sense and it doesn't have a thing to do with a shoer doing a good job or a bad one.
If you reach the bottom of a barrel, find another barrel.
~answering your questions on trainers corner~

Offline t_orchosky

• Veteran Member
« Reply #56 on: August 11, 2009, 04:35:39 PM »
LOL - weinee dog - too funny!
http://dodiebarrelrace.weebly.com/
Benefit barrel race for Dodie Martindale - check it out!!!!

Offline debhorses

• letz get this party!!!!!
  • Posse Member
  • Super Hero
« Reply #57 on: August 11, 2009, 04:49:38 PM »
"chipmonk sound"  "chipmonk sound"  "chipmonk sound"  "chipmonk sound"  "chipmonk sound"  "chipmonk sound"  "chipmonk sound"  "chipmonk sound"  "chipmonk sound"  "chipmonk sound"  "chipmonk sound"  "chipmonk sound"  "chipmonk sound"  "chipmonk sound"  "chipmonk sound"  "chipmonk sound" 
can't wait till May!!!

Offline josies jockey

• Fossil
  • The WORD works for those who work the WORD!!
« Reply #58 on: August 11, 2009, 04:58:36 PM »
ROFLMAO!!!  Wonder who brung that to yer attention????
Horse Trader Exstrodinare... One of the only people you will ever meet with their own bag of PIXIE DUST...

Offline debhorses

• letz get this party!!!!!
  • Posse Member
  • Super Hero
« Reply #59 on: August 11, 2009, 05:22:15 PM »
which the "chipmonk" sound of the weener?
can't wait till May!!!