8am - 6pm
Event Info Click Here

Online Entries are Open
Printable Entry Form
Event Info Click Here

Online Entries Open April 14
Event Info Click Here

Online Entries are Open

Author Topic: gate trouble  (Read 2668 times)

Offline diana smith

• Novice Member
gate trouble
« on: August 11, 2009, 11:13:12 PM »

my son has a 23yr old mare who is having trouble going into an arena. For about 6months she would not go in on her own but would walk in quietly if lead to the gate .The last month she willl not go in if he is on her back but wil lwalk in the arena let him mount  she is not balking at anything she is asked todo once she is in  I am having a chiropractor work on her this week  to see if she is out anywhere My son shows at mostly4-h shows an is starting tobe penilized for this behavior any ideas as how to work this problem out

Offline lauraSchumann

• pay attention you might learn somethin'...
  • Global Moderator
  • Super Hero
  • It is what it is...
Re: gate trouble
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2009, 06:24:11 PM »
Diana--
You are doing all the right things.  But I would before using the chiro, go have a complete once
over by the vet of your choice.  There may be something there that your mare is saying..."I hurt"
and a vet exam would be my first choice.  If something is out of whack the vet can also better pin
point it for your chiro and they can work together to fix the problem.  I always like to put my professionals
together to get opinions on things like this. 
Your vet may point you to injections to joint or IV, maintenance thru feed for less issues...or might find something in an xray that may say it might be time for retirement. 
Let us know what you find out and then I can better point out a solution when the physical has been
eliminated.

Good Luck!
Laura Schumann
Laura's Ladder To Success Barrel Clinics
I BELIEVE TOUR 2009

~ANSWERING YOUR QUESTIONS ON EBARREL'S TRAINER'S CORNER~
If you reach the bottom of a barrel, find another barrel.
~answering your questions on trainers corner~