8am - 6pm
Event Info Click Here

Online Entries are Open
Printable Entry Form
Event Info Click Here

Online Entries Open April 14
Event Info Click Here

Online Entries are Open

Author Topic: 3 yr old filly...need some advice  (Read 2982 times)

Offline Turn3BurnHome

• Veteran Member
3 yr old filly...need some advice
« on: August 12, 2009, 01:17:41 PM »
I have a 3 yr old filly (grandaughter to Shawnee Bug) who I have had since she was a yearling. I have been riding her since she was just over 2 and she is very smart. Two questions keep haunting me... 1) How hard and how soon I should push her? and 2) When (at what age) and how do I make the decision that she just may not be cut out for barrel racing??

Some background:
Out in the field I have seen her run, stop on a dime and turn so I know she is athletic and has some 'spunk', but when I ride her she is EXTREMELY lazy even to the point of tripping numerous times. I have to kick, kick, kick just to keep her going sometimes. I have taken things slow with her but sometimes think maybe I've gone too slow. The whole tripping thing really bothers me (she almost went down once) so in the back of my mind I have a little fear that she is going to fall. She only seems to do this when I'm riding her. She is a well built horse and I'm not overweight so I don't think it is because she can't handle weight on her back. Also, I would feel totally comfortable putting an inexperienced rider on her at my home but when I take her to another arena she freaks out and is a totally different horse. I know she just needs more experience away from home but when I go to competitions and get her in an arena she throws her head and rears. I can handle a bucking horse, but to be honest, rearing scares me.

So...any advice on a lazy horse and when/how to tell if she's just not cut out for barrel racing would be very much appreciated. It would break my heart to have to sell her but I can't afford to keep her around just b/c she's beautiful!!! HA!!

Offline lauraSchumann

• pay attention you might learn somethin'...
  • Global Moderator
  • Super Hero
  • It is what it is...
Re: 3 yr old filly...need some advice
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2009, 06:40:52 PM »
Hi...thanks for your question.  You asked a couple of questions...  "Two questions keep haunting me... 1) How hard and how soon I should push her? and 2) When (at what age) and how do I make the decision that she just may not be cut out for barrel racing??"  I absolutely think the following should be answered first.  The answers to the following issues will affect the answers to what you originally asked. :)

The tripping issue is what concerns me most.  Addressing that first and foremost, I would say
to take her to the vet of your choice and do an exam.  Ask him to look her over as if he was doing a
vet check for a new purchase.  I feel its absolutely essential to set your mind to ease as well as know
for the physical well being of the horse that nothing out of the ordinary is going on.

Now next.  If you receive a clean bill of health from your vet and that is eliminated.  I would move forward
to the point of thinking that your horse is needing a bit more education.  I would absolutely go back to the round pen and do the basics again.  Drive your mare on the ground before riding her again and reteach forward motion.  You must gain her respect on the ground as well as on her back.  When you feel like you have total control in the round pen, move to an arena setting with her and drive her again.  Work on smooching to her on the ground and get her to "listen" to you when you are ground driving her and teach that forward motion which should in turn take the laziness out of her when you ride her.  Remember!! With a young horse, respect is earned, not freely given by the educator so be firm even tho I can tell you really like her.  I do have a feeling that your feelings for her have also come into play as well---and yes! you need to be tougher.  :)

Let me know how it goes....
Good Luck!!
Laura Schumann
LAURAS LADDER TO SUCCESS BARREL CLINICS
I BELIEVE TOUR 2009
« Last Edit: August 12, 2009, 06:46:00 PM by lauraSchumann »
If you reach the bottom of a barrel, find another barrel.
~answering your questions on trainers corner~