8am - 6pm
Event Info Click Here

Online Entries are Open
Printable Entry Form
Event Info Click Here

Online Entries Open April 14
Event Info Click Here

Online Entries are Open

Author Topic: Seasoning Questions  (Read 2715 times)

Offline BamBamMS

• Novice Member
Seasoning Questions
« on: September 10, 2009, 10:01:15 AM »
I have a 8 yr old gelding I started as a 4 yr old, but have never really got to haul him consistently.  So he was started really slow.  I love to barrel race but I want to rodeo.  We compete at local rodeos and he can hold his on there but he is 1/2-1second off at bigger rodeos or shows.  He always or I always seems to have mistakes that cost us time I know when I come out I could have been faster if..... My question is when do you give up on one and move on? Every once in a while he'll have that so called "perfect run" and it gets your hopes up and then the next time your a second off.  I'm just stuck and don't know where to go from here or what to do to improve.  He is in great shape I ride at least 5-6 days a week. When we slow work he is perfect so I don't do much barrel work. I hate to get another one and start all over but I also hate to just keep treading water with him if were never going to get anywhere except local.
Any suggestions?
Thanks
Michelle
« Last Edit: September 10, 2009, 10:05:19 AM by BamBamMS »

Offline lauraSchumann

• pay attention you might learn somethin'...
  • Global Moderator
  • Super Hero
  • It is what it is...
Re: Seasoning Questions
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2009, 12:24:30 PM »
Hi...

The key to success is repetition and consistancy when it comes to seasoning a horse.  Don't feel
frustrated because there are days when you fire off a run and it wins, and the next time you go,
you don't.  Concentrate on making the same run each and every time at a speed which is consistant
with a successful pattern.  When you can make 10 runs at that speed successfully, then speed up a bit and ask him to make the next 10 runs in the same manner.  Gauge your horse on what he can successfully do and then graduate upwards.  If you can make 2 smoking runs and then 8 that aren't so
good, that tells me you needs to slow back down for a while.

Hope this helps...let me know how it goes.

Thanks,

Laura Schumann
~answering your questions on ebarrelracing trainer's corner~
www.lauraschumannbarrelracing.com
If you reach the bottom of a barrel, find another barrel.
~answering your questions on trainers corner~