8am - 6pm
Event Info Click Here

Online Entries are Open
Printable Entry Form
Event Info Click Here

Online Entries Open April 14
Event Info Click Here

Online Entries are Open

Author Topic: Hard Keeper  (Read 5418 times)

Offline brookenmagic

• Extreme Member
Hard Keeper
« on: October 28, 2009, 08:24:14 PM »
I have a big horse that i have tried tons of different kinds of feed and either they dont keep him healthy enough to keep him from looking starved or if he is in good condition he gets super hot when i ride him. i was told to try rice bran but he wont eat it he either pics around it or doesnt eat at all right now i am feeding him patriot performance 14% and he is starting to get to where his hip bones dont show and looking pretty nice but everytime i ride him he gets all sweaty and foamy even though he really isnt that excited i had his teeth floated a couple months ago and he still hasnt done much better he is sixteen i need help i feel sorry for him cause i ride him at least 3-4 times a week not including barrel races

Offline lauraSchumann

• pay attention you might learn somethin'...
  • Global Moderator
  • Super Hero
  • It is what it is...
Re: Hard Keeper
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2009, 11:04:05 AM »
You need to look at feed with about 11-14% protein, and at least 7% fat.  Patriot makes an excellent feed, but in MY OWN OPINION, the fat is not high enough at 6%.  Also with corn as their third ingredient, the sweating problem you are talking about is going to be happening! Alot!...Corn provides a high energy ingredient to feed, and a feed with a less amount of fat to provide it, must provide it another way.
So that is how Patriot provides it. 

Why don't you try a feed for him like SafeChoice by Nutrena...its a 14/7 feed, very palatable and very easy to digest....especially for a horse his age...

Also...I know that you just got a teeth float like you said...but if the teeth were bad, it does take a while for a horse that has been chewing poorly to form new chewing habits and you might not see the results of a float right away.

Change the feed...make sure you are feeding a good amount of hay....and let me know if this helps.

Thanks,
Laura Schumann
Laura's Ladder To Success Barrel Clinics
www.lauraschumannbarrelracing.com
If you reach the bottom of a barrel, find another barrel.
~answering your questions on trainers corner~

Offline RUN FOR FUN

• Elite Member
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2009, 11:27:09 AM »
our Co-op sells a sweet feed that is 10% protein and 8% fat.  We are fatting a mare back up--long story.  She is getting this 10/8 feed and then we are adding Headstart or Calf manna to it.  She is getting a coffee can size feed and 2.5 cups of headstart twice a day.  She is really putting on the weight. 

Offline starstruckranchbarrelgirl

• Dinosaur!
  • Lil Redun First 2D Wrapn3 Gonzales
    • Starstruck Ranch Barrel Horses
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2010, 04:48:18 PM »
Our horses won't eat safe choice after feeding patriot senior.

Offline SaraJean

• Art By Sara Jean
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2010, 11:08:31 PM »
Do you have him on a probiotic? What about free choice salt & minerals? IMO both of these are very important & necessary no matter what you are feeding & can make a major difference in a horses body condition.

Offline fawna lee

• Novice Member
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2011, 05:25:54 PM »
I have struggled with this same problem. Mine eat Cool Stance and Power Stance. Coconut with nothing added. Feed is baked coconut at real low heat, 18 Amino Acids naturally occuring, and has the oil in it. For added, hoof health, weight gain, or weight stabilization for crested neck, the Power Stance is a powdered Coconut Oil. They look beautiful, health hooves, no more White Line, it is the LOWEST Sugar/Carbs on the market, so is a Cool feed. Less that 12% starch, and huge amount of fat, that is the good Medium Chain Triglycerides, that are good for you. Good for the dogs, and cats, too. I am the Texas Distributor, have lots of it in Houston. www.stance equine.com, great informative site. Horse Nutrionist, Dr. Tim Kempton, it is in over 10 countries, we are slowly getting it going in the US. I have fed it almost 2 years, LOVE it.