8am - 6pm
Event Info Click Here

Online Entries are Open
Printable Entry Form
Event Info Click Here

Online Entries Open April 14
Event Info Click Here

Online Entries are Open

Author Topic: Why do I freeze up???  (Read 2963 times)

Offline Kimmy Jean

• Veteran Member
Why do I freeze up???
« on: November 05, 2009, 01:10:05 PM »
Ok Laura you helped me with my colt issue I got another one for ya!!!  On my good barrel mare I am sometimes freezing up when I get to the third barrel which is causing us to hit it.  Its like when I get there I just freeze and last night I switched the reins back to my Right hand and we are turning to the left, its like I just get scared and freeze up and dont help her around it. I dont know why I doing this any suggestions or thoughts???  Anyone with thoughts please help.

Thanks !!

Offline lauraSchumann

• pay attention you might learn somethin'...
  • Global Moderator
  • Super Hero
  • It is what it is...
Re: Why do I freeze up???
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2009, 11:11:51 AM »
Ok...first off...why are you freezing up??  what's going on with you mentally that you are doing this??
has she been a barrel hitter in the past??  did you fall on the 3rd barrel, nearly fall??  there's a reason for it...something has happened to give you that tensed up feeling as you make your approach to the turn.

Go set up one barrel.  I want you to go lope BIG CIRCLES AROUND THE BARREL the direction you would turn your third barrel...now a bit smaller...go from 20' to 10' to 8' and then back to 20'....then 20' to 8' and back to 20'...MAKE SURE YOU GO AROUND MORE THAN ONCE AT EACH DISTANCE BEFORE YOU CHANGE DISTANCE...two or three times at 20...then to 8...two or three times at 8, back to 20...get it??

whatever is bothering you has to do with CONTROL...you feel out of control, therefore you freeze....do this drill a bit and you will find out that you HAVE CONTROL...NO MATTER where you are in your run....
You can move this horse when you need to.  For some reason you are freezing up and I believe its due to your thought pattern of you thinking you can't move the horse if you need to, so you just "clamp"....

This will free you up....and the horse.

Let me know how you are doing....

Laura Schumann
Laura's Ladder to Success Barrel Clinics
www.lauraschumannbarrelracing.comn
« Last Edit: November 18, 2009, 09:22:30 AM by lauraSchumann »
If you reach the bottom of a barrel, find another barrel.
~answering your questions on trainers corner~